Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is no drinking before and after eating a forever thing?

Is no drinking before and after eating a forever thing? What did your Dr/NUT say? I am really not missing the drinking during the meal part but the timing the before/after time is a drag. Especially when I am behind on fluids for the day.

Yep it's only 30 mins to a hour after eating

From everything I have read and been told, yes, it is a forever thing. I would guess most of us have problems when we are behind or low on fluids, especially in the heat this time of year.

Good luck, and remember the old saying, do something for 6 months and it becomes a habit. (I'll tell you in three more months if this one has made it.) :blink:

Hi I was told by the nurse in th hospital to wait 1/2 hour after you eat. Hope this helps.

Well I get this horrible not being able to breath feelin if I even intend to drink after I just ate wish I wouldn't though cause I'm alway thirsty

I have seen a huge variety in time frames... 15-30 min before 30-90min after. The biggest thing to remember is the longer that food hangs out and the more your body works to digest it, without the added Water, the longer you will feel full and the less food you will eat.

I had a drink immediately after eating last week because I had a bad cough and needed to try soothe my throat, straight after that I was in the bathroom staring at the bottom of the toilet bowl!!

My surgeon says it is okay to drink before meals (and even encourages drinking before meals) once you get to the soft foods phase, but no drinking with meals or for 30 minutes after is for life.

In fact, we are not allowed Soup for life (except Soups that are completely broth or completely creamed, no chunks of anything) because it is the same thing as drinking with your meal.

I have made the mistake twice of forgetting that I drank a cup of Water then a few mins later tried to eat. It has been he only times I have thrown up. So yes it is a new way f life but I don't miss it that much. I miss my diet coke! But I found a substitute in a caffeinated water. It works great! I couldn't give up caffeine totally because I work overnight 12 hours shifts. I have about 2 bottle a shift that equals 2 cups of coffee. I Los drink regular water too through out the day.

First, go watch that YouTube video of the applesauce and funnel.

Second, even at three years out there are a lot of times when I simply have to choose if I want to eat or drink with my meal. I usually don't have room for both. And when I make room and do it anyway? I definitely eat more and I definitely feel the desire to eat again sooner.

~Cheri

I want to add that I'm not nearly as strict about the 30 minutes rule now but quite frequently find I simply don't have room for at least that long, anyway.

Like Cheri, I'm usually too full after eating to even think about a drink. I do tend to drink right up to the time I eat now that I'm further out.

Lynda

I was told it was at least a half hour before/after for life. I was also told to try and stick to solids once you enter that phase due to the Soups not holding you as long as solids.

I don't miss drinking with my eating unless something is prepared with flour (or some other startch) and I didn't know. Then it feels like a ball of food stuck in my chest. That has happened with broths (yes sometimes they put starches in them). I didn't realize some contained startch and they caused me much pain.

What about breakfast cereal did you want to ask? I have a high Protein cereal most mornings.

By the way, the applesauce and funnel is for the bypass. We don't have an open hole at the bottom of our stomach like a funnel. We have the pyloric valve, which is why most of us chose the sleeve. It is an issue of room in the stomach for us. If you drink you won't have enough room for your Protein. And yes, liquids empty the stomach faster than solids, even for us. But it's not the applesauce thing. Thy still leave in an orderly manner. That valve opens every 5 minutes or so.

I'm allowed to drink up until I eat, then no drinking during, and no drinking a half hour after