Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Your Rant About the Infomercials for Weightloss Products!

Tell us how you really feel...  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Tell us how you really feel...

• I'm so sick of infomercials for weightloss products I could hack!!!
    • I could take them or leave them.
    • I find them interesting to see what is new on the market.

They are everywhere. In the newspaper and especially on the television in the wee hours of the morning!

Magic solutions to losing weight.

Rock your way to tight abs!

One pill does it all and if you order NOW you get two for one!

I'm so sick of infomericals I could hack!

Are you suggesting that these infomercials present inaccurate information?

I wish I'd known that last night. I just ordered a lifetime supply of "Blubber-B-Gone" projectile suppositories.

I wish I'd known that last night. I just ordered a lifetime supply of "Blubber-B-Gone" projectile suppositories.

:faint: :heh:

I don't watch infomercials. I haven't tried anything since Trimspa came out. It really doesn't matter to me @ all....

:omg:

Projectile? Hope that projects into the right place!:nervous

"As seen on Oprah" kicks it for me.

Don't forget "Doctor Approved!" And then they put doctors up on the screen that have had their degree for less than a year. No lie - one of the commercials I remember seeing had the doctor's graduation year in small print.

I don't seem to see real people on infomercials. I don't see them in magazine and newspaper ads. I suppose it is posssible to lose zillion pounds in a year, but I'm pretty sure this wouldn't happen to me. Also all the weight loss folks appear to be about 25. Have you noticed that Kirsty Allee seems to heavily cinched in around the waist in her commercials? I'm glad she lost weight and reignited her career, but I'll bet she's wearing 20 pounds of steel around her waist.

"I went from a size 10 to a size 2." That really irritates me. I am sorry, but if your a size 10, you don't need any weightloss pills or anything!

This one just makes me want to shoot the TV. I'm just so broken hearted she just couldn't risk being seen in her chubby size 10....SCREAM!:(

I'm feeling much better now...cat

What kills me is the latest NutriSatan, um, system diet plan where the chick SAYS, "This is the SECOND TIME I have lost weight on the plan"

Now, if that aint a red flag, I dont know what is!

They don't bother me. I can give them credit for being cutthroat marketers. Their job is to sell a product, and they're really great at what they do.

The one that's brilliant is - go figure, I can't even remember the name of the product - so maybe it's not all that brilliant - is the one that markets the weightloss pill that's "not for you if you just want to lose 20 vanity pounds, this is only for people serious about losing weight".

Does it mislead people? Sure. Do people have to be at least a little foolish to be mislead by it? Sure. But looking at it's ability to do its job - get someone to by the product - it's great.

I really dislike the fact that there are a million people out there who are looking for a quick fix that will work and are being taken advantage of. I know, i was one of them but I am also a skeptic and don't believe any of the commercials- but i really wanted to and wanted something that would work. the one size fits all approch is as missused by the medical community as by the commercial marketers. How many times have you heard

" why just eat less and excersize and you will loose weight. Why can't you do that?" It is just not that easy for some and there are other reasons for weight gain. Neither drs. or weight loss "experts" can push a one size fits all approach, that is why i like the band- you have a tool to work with that works- if you work with it.

What offends me about these infomercials is that these scam marketers are preying on a vulnerable group of individuals. If any of this crap actually worked, it would not only be all over the media headlines, our own doctors would be urging us to buy this sh!t. Of course this is not the case but overweight people are vulnerable to snake oil merchants because of our own feelings of self-loathing and desperation.

I would like to see the food and Drug Administration folks clamp down on these pedlars. I would also like to see them become more engaged in the claims made by companies that sell cosmetic skin cremes. I have heard that most of these claims are false. Ageing is, of course, the other area in which we are vulnerable and are likely to easily part with our dollars.

Right now the only time the FDA can step in (for these purposes) is if the product claims to "cure". You'll notice that most of these commercials will say everything but that one magic word.