Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wanted to take the opportunity to share my experience getting sleeved by Dr. Illan. Please forgive any spelling mistakes as I am pecking away at this from Hotel Lucerna in Tijuana, on my ipad.

I booked with Susan through mysurgeryoptions. It was a fairly smooth booking process. Emails were prompt. Info on the diets and what to pack for the trip.

I arrived in San Diego (from Toronto) around noon on Saturday for same day surgery. As soon as I touched down I sent a text to Omar (Dr. Illan's Tijuana coordinator). He directed me through the airport. The driver picked me up right at the curb. I had been having issues in Canada getting the Gas-X strips, so Omar had arranged for her to take me to a pharmacy in San Diego to pick some up. I chose to pass on that because I heard that the strips were not that helpful. We made it to florence rather quickly. Omar was waiting for me with all the admitting paperwork. Everything was done in no time. There was pr-op testing consisting of a chest x-ray, EKG and bloodwork. The staff at Florence were amazing. There always seems to be issues getting a vein for blood or IV's for me. Not this time. Both nurses took there time and they both got it on the first shot!!

I was wheeled into surgery after meeting with Dr. Illan. I explained that I tend to get nauseous easily and vomit at the drop of a dime. He said they would keep an eye on that and do whatever they could to manage my nausea, starting with a double dose of medication during surgery. Before I knew it, I was out of surgery and back in my room bed. I woke with very minimal pain, some discomfort in the tummy area. The nursing staff was amazing. They were in and out through out the first day with meds for pain and nausea. The first day past in a blur of some very restful sleep. I did get up and walk around. To be honest, I didn't have a lot of gas or gas pain. Day 2 more walking, a shower, doctors and nurses in and out. During the night time, they were very considerate and just left the hallway door open for light.

Yesterday I checked out of the hospital with Omar. We did the leak test at Angles Hospital. The contrast isn't great tasting, but it is a very small amount. It was cool to see the Fluid processing through my new leak-free sleeve. We stopped by a grocery store and Omar picked me up some Jello, juice, gator aid and Water. We drove along the coast of Tijuana (gorgeous). We stopped for what has to be the best broth in the world!! After that we came to the Lucerna.

The Lucerna is a lovely hotel. The rooms are clean, the grounds gorgeous. I spent the remainder of yesterday napping and catching up with things at home. Dr. Illan was by the hotel last night to check things out. He put some steri strips on and we chatted a bit about my recovery.

Today I've had a headache so I've opted to stay at the hotel instead of shopping. Omar was by this morning and we chatted by the pool for a bit. He has been a fountain of info of life with the sleeve. Dr. Raina (sp?) was by this am to check out how I was feeling.

To sum everything up, I feel really good (beside the headache). I feel almost guilty for having such an easy recovery. This has truly been a great experience. I really can't thank Dr. Illan, Dr. Raina, the Florence nursing staff, Omar and Susan enough!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Team Illan. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for detailing your experience! I'm so happy for you that it was such a breeze :) My daughter and I are going August 31st and I hope we have the same good fortune! Good luck on your headache and safe travels home! These post help all us that are ready for these life change. God Bless! Sherry

I hope you and your daughter have a similar experience. I really do feel great. The pre-op diet was hard, but stick to it. Keep drinking as much as you can fit in. I think the extra fluids helped the nursing staff get good veins. We will be here for you, pre-op and post-op.

Omar told me you are doing really well, I am so happy for you. I wanted to call you, but was afraid I might wake you if you are resting. We will talk soon!

I'm glad your experience was so great! Happy sleeved life.

North Chicky,

Thank you for your sharing your experience with us. Congratulations and God bless you I wish you the best and a speedy recovery. I myself just booked my flight and my sleeve surgery with Dr. lllan not even an hour ago. What a good sign & good feeling for me to have seen this post. Thank you again for sharing your great experience with us. Please keep me informed on how you are doing.

So happy for you,

Rosana

Rosana, you are going to do fabulous!

Thank you Susan. I know I am. : )

Had surgery with Dr Illian back in April, down 60lbs, my only regret is not doing this sooner. He has the best bedside manner ever. If you are debating Dr Illian stop thinking and go for it.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I'm seeing this Dr. Illan August 9th for my surgery and found this very helpful.

Hello, to those who have used Dr. Illan, can you tell me about the drain situation? Does it stay in while you're in the hotel, or come out before leaving the hospital? Also, do you know if he uses a blood thinner to prevent clots?

Thanks for any info!

I was sleeved last Thursday by Dr. Illan and if you must have a drain, it comes out before you leave the hospital. I am not sure about the blood thinner question. It was absolutely excellent experience and I would recommend Dr. Illan to anyone.

The only time Dr. Illan uses a drain is if you have a hernia repair or gall bladder removal.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Or if you are a "revision" patient.

That's a great review. I'm having surgery on Thursday with Dr. Alvarez, I hope when I get back home I can report a positive experience as well. It sounds like the staff were very attentive and you were well taken care of. Take care, and I'll join you on the losers bench Thursday.