Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting my drain removed!

I am still calm but as the time approaches it will change. I am dreading this, even though i want it out yesterday. It doesnt hurt, the tape itches a bit but mostly it is simply in the way and my family freaks if they see any of it, so i have to keep it covered all the time. this will be the last vestige of the surgery. sure the large incision in my left side pinches when i do things like rotate tires( yesterday--not the smartest thing i have ever done) but for some reason i dont mind that type of pain.

please lie to me and tell me that the drain removal wont hurt. ;)

I did not have a drain, but I recall some people on here saying it didn't hurt near as much as they had been told...I am curious (I don't mean to hijack your thread)--did you have the surgery laparascopically? did your surgeon all along plan to leave a drain in or did that just occur because of unexpected factors? the reason I am curious is that my surgeon didn't put a drain in at all with me nor did he have any plans to do such

For me no pain, just a "pulling" sensation that was more strange than hurtful and over in 5 seconds. Done at day 2.

My surgeon does not routinely do drains either. In my particular case I had a medical condition that made healing a little slower ( not diabetes) and he put it in an excess of caution, because if a leak occurred it would show quickly and perhaps since i was self pay and out of town.

thanks for the support

If you can rotate your tires with the drain in, you'll have no problem with the 30 seconds of discomfort when the drain comes out. You will feel sooo much better when it's gone.

I don't know how similar it is, but last year I had an infection in my face resulting from some dental work that got messed up. I had to have a drain up into my cheek for that. Having the drain was terrible but getting it out was magical. You feel a little sliding but its a super smooth tube. And then there's this strange empty feeling that I was very relieved to have.

It was weird to have it removed. It wasn't painful, the doctor warned it might sting, but that wasn't quite it. It was just a weird feeling. I didn't really feel it inside where it bothered me but getting it out I felt better.

Had it done! the pain was nothing but the queasiness, whoa! that took a few minutes to deal with. but now i am whole without this Fluid filled ball hanging on my side. still not hungry though. That has gotten worse the last few days, where i dont think about food and dont care about it, rather great, but disturbing at the same time. an enigma or paradox is what it is.

glad it went well!