Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating more than I want in order to get the proteins goal in

I don't know if I'm doing this right or not, but I am in constant conflict. I am a month out, and I find that I always eat more than I want to, because I have that 60g Protein goal in my head that just hangs over me like a cloud!

I can stomach only 1/2 to 1 scoop of Protein shake a day so I feel like I'm overheating in order to get all the food in that I need to make the protein goal, and obviously that isn't right. It's not a lot of food really, no more than a half cup, but it's more than I WANT, and then I feel overfull and bloated.

Like right now, I want to go to bed, I'm full from my meal hours ago, and I still feel like I have to try to drink a cup of milk to get to goal.....

So which is it, eating the way I want and stopping when full, or forcing it to get the protein in? It's becoming a conflict every day:(

I'm gonna give up on the milk for tonight but will check in in the morning, thanks:)

Get a Protein bullet or Protein shot, they're the same thing. Only 3.5 oz and you can hold your nose and sip a little morning, again at noon and finish the darn thing off in the evening. They are just as bad as the shakes, but ONLY 3.5 oz!!! Rinse after sipping, it helps!!!! Do NOT eat more than you should!!!!!!

My go to foods when I was losing:

eggs

1% cottage cheese

shrimp ( I always had a bag in the freezer)

tuna fish in Water

lunch meat, ham, turkey, chicken....whatever, make sure it's lean.

I started and ended each day with 1 cup of skim milk, I still do this

I started getting in ALL my protein with food at 2.5 months. My calories averaged 450 - 600 per day for the first six months after surgery. I reached my goal in six months. I never went over 800 calories and that was only the last month that I ate that many. I felt good, never lost my hair, it never even thinned out!!!!

This is what worked for me.

Sorry, NtvTxn, but I have to disagree a bit with you here.

Most of the Protein bullets/shots out there are, to put it bluntly, crap. It may SAY it's got 42 grams of Protein or more, and it may even say it's whey protein - yay, right? Nope. Look at the nutritional information. If collagen based protein comes before whey in the list, and if the whey in the list isn't whey isolate, then this is probably NOT a good bullet to do to get the most bang for your buck, as it's likely the large majority of the protein is actually collagen, which our bodies don't use effectively as protein. You may find that only 10 or 11 grams of that protein can actually be used by your body. The only one that was recommended as acceptable to me was one that's called "Yes, Whey" - I think you can find those at some of the supplement/nutrition stores like GNC, but I haven't looked for them myself.

Now, if all you need is to get an extra 10 grams of protein, it's your call, but those things taste nasty and aren't cheap. A better option might be to find a way to mix unflavored protein into some of the stuff you're eating - you don't necessarily have to take it as a shake. Think about a Soup, for example.

Yes, I haven't heard much good about those little shots, but she obviously did a lot right if she made goal in 6 mo and never lost her hair.

I can't do whey anyway, that's part of the problem. All the "old standby" products are whey and I was miserably bloated and sick on the whey shakes. I can tolerate vanilla egg white Protein, but as I said, no more than 1 scoop daily.

Hopefully when I'm allowed to have "real" food it will be easier by supplementing with a bar or other bariatric Protein foods but right now it is a struggle, not knowing which to favor - getting protein in or not feeling like I've overeaten.

Get a Protein bullet or Protein shot' date=' they're the same thing. Only 3.5 oz and you can hold your nose and sip a little morning, again at noon and finish the darn thing off in the evening. They are just as bad as the shakes, but ONLY 3.5 oz!!! Rinse after sipping, it helps!!!! Do NOT eat more than you should!!!!!!

My go to foods when I was losing:

eggs

1% cottage cheese

shrimp ( I always had a bag in the freezer)

tuna fish in Water

lunch meat, ham, turkey, chicken....whatever, make sure it's lean.

I started and ended each day with 1 cup of skim milk, I still do this

I started getting in ALL my protein with food at 2.5 months. My calories averaged 450 - 600 per day for the first six months after surgery. I reached my goal in six months. I never went over 800 calories and that was only the last month that I ate that many. I felt good, never lost my hair, it never even thinned out!!!!

This is what worked for me.[/quote']

Hi , thanks for your post. I am struggling with the protien intake. I am a vegetarian . I am four months post op and recovering form spine surgery. I am just allowed to walk. However, I cannot stomach the protien shakes and Beans are a bit gassy. Where do I purchase the protien bullets from? Doyle have any suggestions for me? I am not losing as much because of the back surgery. Nowi can walk . I'm afraid that I won't reach my goal becuase it is almost six months and the majority of the weight will be lost in that time frame.

Yes, I haven't heard much good about those little shots, but she obviously did a lot right if she made goal in 6 mo and never lost her hair.

I can't do whey anyway, that's part of the problem. All the "old standby" products are whey and I was miserably bloated and sick on the whey shakes. I can tolerate vanilla egg white Protein, but as I said, no more than 1 scoop daily.

Hopefully when I'm allowed to have "real" food it will be easier by supplementing with a bar or other bariatric Protein foods but right now it is a struggle, not knowing which to favor - getting protein in or not feeling like I've overeaten.

I couldn't handle the whey protein in the beginning, so I switched to soy protein isolate, and tolerated that just fine. Now I can handle the whey again, but the soy got me over the hump! I got herbalife Protein Shakes on ebay. They are tasty!

Find better ways to get your Protein. I did not regularly eat to my Protein and calorie goals until four to six months post op. I ate around the clock until that point and I aim for 70-90 grams of protein a day.

You NEED protein - you will lose muscle, not fat if you do not get enough protein. Trust me, your body will get skinnier and your weight will go down but you will see the difference in the mirror at goal if you don't get adequate nutrition. That's in addition to the other issues you can have.

Find a protein you want to drink, that you enjoy. I have one scoop nearly every AM as a protein coffee and have a shake I love mixed with just Water in the evenings many nights. That's an extra 50 grams of protein a day. Two simple drinks and they keep me from overindulging.

If you can't/won't do a different shake, try maximizing the protein in your meals. That means that until you have a larger capacity, you're eating a lot of eggs, meat and cottage cheese and won't have room for much else.

For now, it's probably okay to be a little low on your goals - you're only a month out. It will get easier the farther out you get. Do not build a habit of large meals all day long or it will be hard to adjust out of that again. I do three larger meals and two Snacks a day now that my stomach is as big as it's getting. In the early months YES it is pretty common to get to the point where you dislike eating and feel frustrated with those guidelines you need to meet.

~Cheri

Sorry, NtvTxn, but I have to disagree a bit with you here.

Most of the Protein bullets/shots out there are, to put it bluntly, crap. It may SAY it's got 42 grams of Protein or more, and it may even say it's whey protein - yay, right? Nope. Look at the nutritional information. If collagen based protein comes before whey in the list, and if the whey in the list isn't whey isolate, then this is probably NOT a good bullet to do to get the most bang for your buck, as it's likely the large majority of the protein is actually collagen, which our bodies don't use effectively as protein. You may find that only 10 or 11 grams of that protein can actually be used by your body. The only one that was recommended as acceptable to me was one that's called "Yes, Whey" - I think you can find those at some of the supplement/nutrition stores like GNC, but I haven't looked for them myself.

Now, if all you need is to get an extra 10 grams of protein, it's your call, but those things taste nasty and aren't cheap. A better option might be to find a way to mix unflavored protein into some of the stuff you're eating - you don't necessarily have to take it as a shake. Think about a Soup, for example.

I know they aren't considered as 'good' but if you aren't able to choke down those shakes they're better than nothing. I had a 'going away bag' from Forest Park when I was discharged, one of those little protein bullets was in there, that is how I initially started using them. I learned after much trial and error prior to surgery, "unflavored" Protein powder ONLY means it it not choc, strawberry or vanilla. It is still nasty!!! I tried the powders, even though it tasted horrible to me, I did it the first several days.....and was spending 3 hours to get ONE down and never finished it, it kept GROWING!!! It would warm up and I'd add more ice. It was never ending. All I can tell you is how it was for me.....I NEVER lost my hair, it never even thinned out. I was healthy, felt good and my labs were always very good. It was NOT on the top of the list of what the good doctor likes, but it was ok, and better than not. I did what I had to do and I recommend it to anyone who cannot do the Isopure, or as some call it, Isopuke, the different whey powders.....it's only 3.5 oz and I did get a free one from the hospital, along with a lot of other goodies! Protein broth, Isopure, different whey powders.....a tape measure,vitimins and SF things to add to Water. It's just my story, everybody needs to do what is best for them. I just found what it was I was sipping...at GNC -

IDS Whey Protein Shots. 42 grams of protein, 180 calories, sugar free. I preferred the Blue Raspberry, I found them LEAST offensive! LOL It does have collagen. It says it's a proprietary blend of collagen protein isolate, whatever the heck that means!! :)

BTW, if you do want to try and find a Protein Powder, go to GNC, they will take back and give you a refund on opened containers, but keep the receipt. I returned THREE, the fourth one I kept and my husband "enjoyed" it. Well, he added all sorts of GOODIES to it and finished it up for me!

Hi , thanks for your post. I am struggling with the protien intake. I am a vegetarian . I am four months post op and recovering form spine surgery. I am just allowed to walk. However, I cannot stomach the protien shakes and Beans are a bit gassy. Where do I purchase the protien bullets from? Doyle have any suggestions for me? I am not losing as much because of the back surgery. Nowi can walk . I'm afraid that I won't reach my goal becuase it is almost six months and the majority of the weight will be lost in that time frame.

IDS is the brand I drank from GNC. You won't belly up to a bar and order this stuff, it isn't yummy, it's just much less to choke down.

I will try one. NtvTxn. I've got to try something as I'm just eating to overfull to try to get the Protein in.

I can't tolerate the whey shakes at all - bloat like you wouldn't believe -- but maybe I can tolerate 3.5oz to get 42g protein.

Gonna head to GNC today and see if they have any other advice too.

I know they aren't considered as 'good' but if you aren't able to choke down those shakes they're better than nothing. I had a 'going away bag' from Forest Park when I was discharged' date=' one of those little Protein bullets was in there, that is how I initially started using them. I learned after much trial and error prior to surgery, "unflavored" Protein Powder ONLY means it it not choc, strawberry or vanilla. It is still nasty!!! I tried the powders, even though it tasted horrible to me, I did it the first several days.....and was spending 3 hours to get ONE down and never finished it, it kept GROWING!!! It would warm up and I'd add more ice. It was never ending. All I can tell you is how it was for me.....I NEVER lost my hair, it never even thinned out. I was healthy, felt good and my labs were always very good. It was NOT on the top of the list of what the good doctor likes, but it was ok, and better than not. I did what I had to do and I recommend it to anyone who cannot do the Isopure, or as some call it, Isopuke, the different whey powders.....it's only 3.5 oz and I did get a free one from the hospital, along with a lot of other goodies! Protein broth, Isopure, different whey powders.....a tape measure,vitimins and SF things to add to Water. It's just my story, everybody needs to do what is best for them. I just found what it was I was sipping...at GNC -

IDS Whey Protein Shots. 42 grams of protein, 180 calories, sugar free. I preferred the Blue Raspberry, I found them LEAST offensive! LOL It does have collagen. It says it's a proprietary blend of collagen protein isolate, whatever the heck that means!! :)[/quote']

That's why I said I disagree a bit, not altogether - it's certainly better than nothing! I just wanted to make sure that the OP is aware that it's not the best, and not to believe that the actual protein value for your body is probably substantially les than the protein count on the tube. Otherwise, it's a case of doing what you have to.

I'm glad I don't have any issues with the regular Protein Drinks - I tasted one of the tubes once and promptly puked. For me, I don't think they would be a solution.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using VST

I will try one. NtvTxn. I've got to try something as I'm just eating to overfull to try to get the Protein in.

I can't tolerate the whey shakes at all - bloat like you wouldn't believe -- but maybe I can tolerate 3.5oz to get 42g protein.

Gonna head to GNC today and see if they have any other advice too.

I think the shots taste like cough syrup- just saying.

I think the shots taste like cough syrup- just saying.

I wish I'd thought that, I thought they were horrible. Whatever flavor was like magnified 100 times!!! LOL No matter what form it comes in, the whey just stinks and tastes bad. The small amount is what did it for me, it's the only reason I could do it. Like I said, I just held my nose and then rinsed my mouth out....tricks I used when taking liquid penicillin when I was a kid. :)