Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Other Montanans Out There

Hi Sophi248

I looked in the phone book and Dr Rhorer's office is Suite 101 and Dr. Mortenson and Dr Chsd M Engan are in Suite 102 At 400 13th ave so. Close but not together.

Pat

Hi All,

I got banded 8/23/07 and have had 2 fills since then. But I still feel like I can eat more than I should. I am losing weight and every time I go in for a check up I am suprised at that Ive lost weight. My question is how do you know if you have the right amount of fill. At this time I can eat 1 to 1.5 cups of food and when I first start eating I feel things start to get stuck if I am not careful with slow eating and small bites. I have also found I feel hungry in the evening and seem to eat more. Does anyone else have these issues? Should the band be tighter? Is there a good reason I feel hungry in the evening? Help!

Hi Dreno,

When I first got the band, I estimated when I needed a fill by how I was losing weight....say, 1-2 pounds per week. When that slowed down, then it was time...I usually waited about 6 weeks between them. I have had four fills, the last was in August....and felt like I probably wouldn't need another fill for some time. I had fairly regular (1-2 weekly PB's) but for the past two to three weeks, that hasn't happened. My weight loss has slowed considerably but I guess I'm eating about a cup to 1 1/2 cup of food per sitting (at max) I'm generally tighter in the morning and during my TOM.

I'd check how much Protein you're eating, how long between meals, etc about the hunger at night. I know for me, that is historically my grazing time...I just have more down time in the evenings...especially now that the weather is cold, so I consider that head hunger and bad habits! If I'm minding my self, I will focus on drinks, tea, Water, etc. Oh, I also trick myself by saying I need to pack on more weight in the winter to stay warm...so I need to eat more!! Darn old habits. But I'm holding the line. I LOVE MY BAND!

I'm out here. Not sure anyone else is because it's been a long time since the last post.

Banded on 12/6 in North Dakota. I live in Plentywood so ND is closer than anything else.

Everything is new and still in the newbie stages. I just wanted to say I'm out her.

Steph

Hey Steph,

I'm in Plentywood too. Wanna talk about it? I was banded in Denver in July. Hows it going for you?

jfk

Is this Joy? I've been told to call you.

So far so good. I'll be happy when I can do everything I used to be able to. It's been hard not holding my baby....but I'm going down a pants size so there are trade offs I guess.

Steph

Hi Steph, I am also from Plentywood and considering lap band in Bismarck. Visited with Joy tonight, she is great. Would like to get together with you sometime.

gmmc

Hi Steph,

I apologize. I haven't been on the sight for a while. Yes, its Joy. If you'd like to get together and visit sometime, that would be great! Just let me know what would work best for you.

Joy

Joy and Skinny,

I am now having some tough times. Can't wait until I start getting some restriction. My first fill is the 8th!

I'd love to get together some time. As soon as school gets going again, I'll try to set something up.

I'd love to hear any experiences.

Skinny, I'm not sure I'm thrilled with Bismarck. I have some issues. We can talk about it.

Steph

Hi Steph,

I understand completely about the 'hard-time'. Lets do try to get together. My schedule is fairly flexible, so, just let me know. I know that it helps a lot to have a live person to talk to and compare notes. I was the first one from this area, and its been pretty lonely out there. I am making progress, but, its a lot slower than I would like. I blame myself completely for that though, as I certainly chowed down on all the Christmas goodies. People keep bringing plates of fudge, Cookies, etc to work... I finally resorted to hiding them in various places around the office so I don't have to look at them. Unfortunately, I always remember where I hid them! Anyway, it is getting a lot better. I had my 3rd fill from Dr.Rohrer in Gt. Falls on Dec 4th, and its made a massive difference! Even with all the eating during Dec, I've still managed to lose a few pounds. The biggest problem was that eating all that stuff really made me feel ill and crappy... but, of course I did it anyway. The head issues are definitely the toughest. The band has taken me down pretty hard several times since the last fill.... I'm saying to it now... "OK, OK... I'm finally getting the message! " I saw by your reply to Skinny that you have some issues with ND. I absolute love Dr.Rohrer. He is incredibly gentle. I had my first fill in Denver, and it was tough. I have been to Dr.Rohrer in Gt.Falls twice since then, and will make that long trip again if I have to, just to see him. I'm pretty sure that he has gotten me to, or at least very close to the so-called 'sweet-spot' with only the third fill. Now, I have to do my part!

Let talk when you get a chance. Meanwhile, just take good care of yourself and give things time to heal up. In my opinion, the surgery/banding itself is just the first hill.... after that, you start the real journey up that mountain of fat we carry... and we will conquer it!

Joy

Thanks for your kind words Joy. This season has not been the kindest for me. Yet, I'm the one who puts it in my mouth so I have noone to blame but myself.

I liked my surgeon and my coordinator was great. It's the nurses that I'm having some issues with. The first time I left a message they called back and didn't even know who they were calling. The second time they didn't know which surgery I had done, thought I was a gall bladder. Once we got that straightened out they gave me conflicting advice from my coordinator. Called coordinator and she said they were crazy. This last time they just treated me like I was wasting their time. for 13k I think I get to waste their time a bit. They can listen to me, reassure me, and really listen to my worries.

There is a year of aftercare included in the self-pay so I'll see how that goes. Great Falls isn't "out of the question" if I'm completely unhappy. It will cost more, but it's my health and well-being so I have to say it would be worth it. I'll see what kind of answers I get on Tuesday. I plan on having a real heart to heart with all involved and explain how they have treated me, in case they haven't noticed.

I'm not sure who you skinny is, but I'd love to get together with everyone. Have you all been exercising. I'm thinking about starting to walk. I know the school is open most evenings and there is the hospital basement (though I've never walked there). I need to get moving. I'm slow and very out of shape but if anyone would like to join me, I'm in definite need of a buddy. Hubby won't do it with me and I hate to do it alone. Let me know if anyone is interested.

I'll give you a call next week when I know more of what is going on. Maybe we can do coffee at the Bistro or something. I want to get my first fill in before I can truly evaluate. I'll be back Wed. evening.

Steph

Steph,

Would like to talk soon. I am going to the doctor today to get things started with Dr. in Bismarck.

Skinny

Skinny,

which doc are you going to get going with? Dr. Schmidt did my banding and was nice the one time I met him. I will have fills done by a PA it seems. That's who the appt. is with on the 8th, so I don't know if I'll ever see him again. I guess I'm a little disappointed in the amount of communication I'm getting. However it does sound like he does fills himself in Minot (or at least he is in Minot) once a month. That was one deciding factor. That I didn't have to go all the way to Bismarck for support group and fills. Besides, he's sorta cute :o

Let's talk,

Steph