Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Other Montanans Out There

Joy,

I forgot to mention that I've found a great Protein Drink at Rueb's. It's over by the produce and it's called Purely Protein. It has 42g per bottle and a serving is 8 oz so you're getting a little more than 10g per glass. It's fairly low carb/calorie it seems and it tastes a heck of a lot better than the slimfast or Atkins that we can get around here. Not quite as thick. Oh...and it tastes like a latte milkshake. Good for my latte cravings I guess. I have one glass for Breakfast and another right before bed. It seems to curb my night cravings. I just found out how many protein grams are in cottage cheese!!! And Dr. K thought it was a bad food for me to eat. Bah on him! BTW, you mentioned the PA you go to in a previous post. I'm assuming that is here in p'wood. Did she learn the technique? Just curious in case of emergency.

Okay...I'll sign off now. Wow. We really do need to get together to chat! I have questions and questions and more questions it seems.

Steph

Hi Steph,

Keep the faith girl... everything will be ok!

Just a few things to mention.

No, the PA has not yet learned the technique. When I was in Denver, Dr. Kirshenbaum absolutely read me the riot act about letting an inexperienced person (with the band that is) touch me. He said all it would take is one wrong move to wreck the whole set up... put the fear of God in me he did! One needle stick in the wrong spot could puncture the tubing, and it would be back to surgery again to have the whole mess replaced. I told him I have a lot of faith in our PA here because she is very good at what she does. He conceded that because I was so far away, a PA might be the only option for fills. He told me to have her call him any time with any questions about the fills. He even sent me home with two of the special huber/lapband fill needles for emergencies. Absolutely nothing against PA's, however, I suspect that a lot of surgeons are probably somewhat leary of anyone with lesser skill levels than theirs touching their patients.

After the lecture from Dr.Kirshenbaum, I decided to contact Dr.Rohrer in Gt.Falls... to my surprise, he agreed to do the fills, and, as I mentioned, I am very impressed with him. I felt completely safe in his hands, and absolutely confident in his skills. He's gotten both fills with just one try and answered all my questions very patiently.... the same ones I'm sure he's heard a thousand times and more.

Remember one thing... when you have your first fill, don't be surprised if you barely notice any difference at all. I certainly didn't. I kept waiting for all this great restriction I heard everyone else bragging about, and it just wasn't happening. I learned later that it may be because the band itself absorbs a lot of the Fluid. On my second fill, for which I waited a little over two months, I could tell some difference, but, not a lot. Now, with the third one (waited about 2.5 months) I KNOW theres something in there! I have never had what is called the PB's, nor have I vomited even once since I was banded. I get pain... take me to my knees pain... It happens when I ignore that little 'twinge' that says, "you'd better not take one more bite or you're going to be very sorry". Ignore that signal at your peril! For me, the pain has been a very crushing 'cardiac' type which hits me in the chest and upper back on the right side. It has lasted anywhere from 5-10 mins at a time, and, its not over till its over. I really haven't found anyway to alleviate it while its in progress. If I feel just a tiny twinge, and stop eating in time, I usually take a couple of gas-X strips, and that can help a lot before things get out of hand. I can eat plenty of food without a problem... its just that 'one more bite cuz it's so good' thing that gets me in trouble. But, I am learning. The pain is a great motivator, and, I guess thats what its really all about. Its not pleasant, but, the band is doing what it is supposed to do. For me, its truly a love-hate relationship!

Thanks for the tip on the drink. I will look for it. Right now, I'm using 'Pro-Stat-64', which is a pure, pre-digested Liquid Protein. I take 2-Tbs (usually) daily, and, it pretty much gets the Protein in. I really like the Pro-Stat... wild cherry flavor, tastes pretty good. Skinny tried a taste and thought it was good too. It is one of the really good ones... not one of those full of sugar and other garbage protein. I also am using Fiber-Stat. Its a liquid soluble Fiber which is very helpful with elimination. Its clear with no taste, also just 2-Tbs daily if needed. I have a very difficult time with those full-bodied protein drinks... I just cannot get much of them down. I think 'Boost' is one of the better ones, and, they come in a very small bottle... that one I can manage. Just one more thing. I have found I simply cannot tolerate taking lots of different Vitamins, so, I am using a liquid one now. I get it from the Rexall. Its called 'Liquid Health', Complete Multiple. Its in the large brown bottle... not one of those plastic squeeze things. Its got something like 200 essential nutrients, trace minerals, and every Vitamin imaginable in it.... suprisingly, it even tastes pretty good too... a little like prune juice. I was using the Centrum liquid, and one other liquid one which I absolutely hated. I was glad to find this one. I got a little pill splitter for a couple of meds that I take, and that helps a lot too.

Steph, if you go to my website, you can send me a personal email from the link there... contact number is there as well.

Paso Finos del Joy - Home

Take care, and lets get together soon. We'll grab Skinny and all go have a coffee or something. Sounds great!

Joy

Hi ladies,

Just thought I'd pop in here as another Montanian. I live in Helena - far from the High Line. I was banded by Dr. Rohrer in Great Falls in November. Things are going really well and I have high hopes that this is going to be successful. I wish the best for you all!

Hi Foofy,

I grew up in Helena. It's been a hard adjustment for me to get used to the prairie. My family still lives in the area so I get to the mountains a few times a year.

Glad everything is going well for you.

For anyone else who is reading, that Protein drink is made by Bolthouse farms. There are three different types but I really like the mocha cappachino. I found it a Walmart out here and in North Dakota. My nutritionist said it was okay to replace breakfast.

Steph

Hi all,

I just got insurance approval and I have a "date" with Dr. Rohrer on Jan. 22. I'm really excited to be getting banded (a little nervous too).

I am in Bozeman, but I grew up 40 miles west of Havre.

~Amy

Hey guys,

Wow, was I glad to find this site, and when I saw this Montana sub group it got even better!

BTW, I'm also a horseman, I see there are a few horseman banders... our horses will be grateful!

I don't have time to read all the post but I do have a couple questions--

* My surgery is in Mexico (Dr Rumbaut), in the middle of February, will I be able to get my fills done here in Montana? I live in Helena.

* Do the American Dr's frown on those of us who get the surgery in Mexico?

Curly

Dr. Rohrer is the one to contact here in Great Falls for your fills. I don't know of anyone else that does them in Montana yet.

Hi Steph and Joy,

Talk about questions---I have plenty. Lets make plans to get together. Name the time and place. My house is okay if you want.

Grace

I am seeing Dr Bruderer in Bismarck. I have already been to his seminar so paperwork is next. I am on disability and medicare does pay for LB surgery in some cases and I think I qualify. It's the fills I am not sure about.

Grace (skinny)

Joy and Skinny,

I don't think I have any plans Thurs. or Fri. night if we want to get together and talk. I'm sure I can find some time on Sat. and Sun. outside of bb games and church. Give me a call, I'm in the book.

Hi,

Did you go to Mexico? I am looking for a surgeon in Mexico as I understand it is cheaper. Can you tell me about your experience and what the cost was?

I fly to Mexico in a couple days. Im being banded in Monterrey by Dr Rumbaul. Ask me again next week and I will have lots of answers. :glare: Right now Im just a montana boy hoping to be skinny soon. :eek:

I went to Monterray a little over a year ago and it was a very good experience. I had Dr. Chapa, a last minute change after my planned surgeon was killed. The hospital was excellent (you can see pictures of it if you go to Dr. Sanchez' site (google it). Rumbault probably has a site with a link to the hospital it uses.

I think medical care in Mexico, if you've done your homework and went with a known Dr....is better than up here. My Doctor and his assistant, came over to my hotel room, the day after surgery to check on me. Anyone have an american doc do that?

A friend of mine went to Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana and reported an excellent experience. I would probably go that route if I had it to do over again, just because the travel time is so much less. The return trip wore me out.

Good luck.