Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Other Montanans Out There

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone was still out there from Montana. I go for surgery on the 16th in Mexico. I will need to get aftercare services here in-state and would appreciate any new thoughts or referrals for that.

Sula

Sula,

What part of Montana do you live in? Where in Mexico are you being banded?

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I haven't checked back here for some time as I figured nobody in MT was getting THIN! HA

I'm in Great Falls and I went to Monterray Mexico for my band. I had it done on Jan 16 and all is going very well. I feel soooo good.

How about you, where are you and how are you doing on your journey? Duh, I just saw you went with Dr. Sanchez. I was orginally scheduled with him, and then he was killed. Nobody told me about it on any official basis..heard it on the boards, actually. Took some time for me to find out who was going to do my surgery (Dr. Chapa). Dr. Sanchez' son, Rodolpho Sanchez was my liason while I was down there.

Sula

Sula,

I live in the Kalispell area. I was banded 5/26/06. I've lost 60 pounds so far but I've been stuck for about a month. Might be time for another fill. I was in Great Falls this last weekend and met a women who lives in Great Falls that was banded in TJ. Her name is Terri. She talked about someone she knows that was banded in Monterrey. Do you know Terri? There's so few of us you just might. How did you like Dr. Chapa? I was fortunate with Dr. Sanchez. He was such a sweet man. Very huggie. Well write if you like. Sharon

Hi back,

I used to live in Kalispell for years! My folks are still over there and I go there fairly often.

Yes, I know Terri. She is the one who gave me the info on this. I've heard her talk about you as well. She is a sweetie!

What size band did you get? I've got the 10cc and I am doing well with it now. I'm concerned about the number of fills I'll eventually have to get but I guess that is the way it is! I'm down 22 1/2 this morning.

Your weight loss is great. I think that you should be happy with that for now. I do understand that you stalled out and that would be the perfect time to get a fill. I think that we may need to be a bit more proactive with the larger band, if that is what you have.

Well, I'm on the house painting committee here at home today. Hubby says inside jobs in the winter, outside jobs later! Fine with me today..it is cold and yucky out!!

Shawn

I am so glad to see this thread. I too live in Montana actually close to shawn. I live in Lewistown. frequent flyer to Great falls. I had surgery at the Great Falls Surgical Center with Dr. Hennessey, he is now gone and I see Dr. Rohrer. He is only doc in great falls that does the band. People come from Billings which surprises me theres not a dr. there.

I am starting a support group here in Lewistown our first mtg is Feb 14th I know of only 5 poeple here I knows theres other but I dont know them by name. can you suggest how I can get the word out? Not sure if Rohrer does followup care but is # is 406 771 8411

Good luck glad to hear you found this site.

Hi Brenda,

I know there is a lapband support group here put on by the Benefis bariatic whatever it is called. They have one for the bypass folks too.

Its funny, because besides getting some insight from my friend Terri here, my husband ran into two or three men in Lewistown and on the same day I met Terri. We just simultaneously talking about it and the rest, as they say, is history.

Shawn

Anytime you guys are in Kalispell let me know. jsleach@centurytel.net. I have in-laws in Stanford - right in the middle of Great Falls and Lewistown. I tried to find a support group over here and there is nothing. I'm coming over to GF in March for another fill. We should all meet. I met Terri when I was over there last month. She's great. So far Dr. Rohorer is the only Dr. in MT that will see Mexico banded patients. Email anytime.

Sharon

I wonder why his is the only one to do Mexico banded patients? What if I had moved here from, say, Idaho..would he do me then? Okay, just being ornery. I didn't even think that there wouldn't be anyone to do the fills here. Guess ignorance is bliss and it works out sometimes too.

What does he charge for a fill? Does he do it under the florscope? That is what my Dr. recommended. Are you doing the fills via insurance? I am hopeful that my insurance will cover it but have money for it otherwise.

We are having a snow storm here today!! Not to much outside stuff going on so we stayed inside and painted. Place is getting spring cleaning early.

Shawn

Shawn,

Doctor's wont touch us because of liability from being banded in MX even though MX is much more experienced in banding then the US. Missoula is beginning banding but will only do fills for their patients so far. I tried everywhere is Kalispell. Most of the hospitals I had to explain to them what a lapband was. Not someone I want sticking me with a needle. So I'll just drive to GF for now. What type of band do you have? I have a 4cc Inamed. He charges $200 for fills. He does not do them under flouro unless there is a problem. He's pretty good at finding the port. I haven't had any problems.

Sharon

I've had 1 fill and 1 unfill- 200/100 yep $100 bucks for unfill. I was also told by Dr. Hennessey that insurance wont support filling of mx bands. Hennessey was doing them at first then was told to stop. He now has left MT. Dont know if you heard rumors about him but he did leave quickly some "accident" in surgery but I could figure, stuff does happen, however, I learned from very good friend of family that his step son Andrew- 22 yrs old just graduated from nursing school died suddenly in Washington and thta is where they are. My prayers go to the family the pain they must feel.

anyway, snow has stopped for now so I'm going outside to soak up the sun!

Hi Brenda,

I find it interesting that insurance kicked up a fuss. I don't think they can do that. Sounds like a scam again. Insurance companies rule the world it appears. But, I started this venture on my own dime and can finish it. Makes me feel bad for others who can't afford to do what may improve their lives.

I hadn't heard about Hennesey as far as anything going awry. I have a friend that is pretty in the know ( and considering the band) so I'll ask her if she heard anything. I would bet it more that he was going to be closer to his son/family in WA. Where did he work out of over here?

Shawn

Hi Sharon,

I have the VG 10 cc Inamed band. The dr put 2 cc's in when he put it in me. So I am thinking that is a "bit" of restriction, but I haven't read anywhere that that has been done with others on this site. Did you feel like you had to get a fill? I'll be four weeks on Tuesday nite and I wonder if in two more weeks I'll need a fill or if I will still be losing?

How do you feel after a fill? Terri got her's and said she didn't notice a change.

Shawn

Shawn,

I've heard of alot of people getting the VG band. What's the difference from the 4cc band? I think I waited almost 4 months before my first fill. As for the fill, the Dr. gives you a little shot of numbing medicine. Then he pulls out this huge needle (no kidding) and does your fill. Thank god for the little shot!! I'm coming to GF March 1st and 2nd for a fill. I spoke to his office and he said there is a support group on the 1st from 6:30-8:30 pm. I'm going to go. Then my fill appt. is on the 2nd at 9:30 am. Then I'm going to head home. If anyone is interested in going it would be great to meet everyone.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I have a 10 cc band. I think the VG is the newest, improved band, but not sure if that means it is the newest 10 cc band or newest band in general. And from what I understand, the size of the band depends on the size of your organs or something like that.

I would be delighted to get together with you when you come over. Not to sure about the support group as I am really want to keep this quiet from most others for now. A few people here know (about 5) and I guess I just want people to just notice I've been working hard and losing weight. And I am working hard. I exercise and eat properly. I just have some help with portion control! My fatal flaw I think.

Back to the band issue, I don't think I'm going to need a fill at 6 weeks. I feel like I have good restriction and am losing weight...today is my fourth week anniversary and I'm losing a couple pounds per week. So I have a dilemma about whether I should schedule a fill and potentially cancel it or just wait. How long does it take to get in to see him? I'm also a bit paranoid about calling him in case he says no I won't see you, for no particular reason!

Well, I'd better get back to work. Have a great day.

Shawn