Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained weight after Surgery

Hi. I just had my sleeve done on Wed 7/17. Was just released from the hospital. My orig weight was 292 and right before surgery I was down to 277. At the hospital the nurses weighed me and I was in the 290's. I weighed myself at home just now and I'm 297.. Has this happened to anyone? I weigh more after the surgery. This is crazy. I figured the IV that was in my arm wld make me gain maybe 4 lbs or so. But to gain 20lbs from surgery. Is that possible?

Girl look down.... I know after my surgery I was so swollen. my stomach looked like frankenbelly for weeks that and the IV fluids, yes you will be up... I didn't step on the scale for over a week after surgery.

I had the same experience. I had my sleeve done on Tuesday, July 16th. When I came home and weighed myself I had gained 10 pounds. Talk about being depressed - I'm glad I had some pain medication to get me to sleep. After being on the clear liquid diet now for two days at home, I have lost 5 pounds. Are you starving? I cannot believe how hungry I am and so lethargic.

It's perfectly normal, happens to almost everyone. My mom gained 20 pounds after surgery. It will go away, I promise. You are full of gas, and iv fluids, and swelling. It will come off over the next few weeks. Hang in there.

Me too! Weighed the same as before my pre-op diet when I came home. Took about 10 days to come off, but more came off with it. :D

I had the same experience. I had my sleeve done on Tuesday' date=' July 16th. When I came home and weighed myself I had gained 10 pounds. Talk about being depressed - I'm glad I had some pain medication to get me to sleep. After being on the clear liquid diet now for two days at home, I have lost 5 pounds. Are you starving? I cannot believe how hungry I am and so lethargic.[/quote']

I find myself hungry but when I put anything to my lips and swallow...it feels sore going down. I had chicken broth at the hospital and i could only do abt 2 tsp every half hr. i must of only had a total of 4 tsp and i didnt want it anymore. I find myself craving Water and ice chips more then anything. :)) but I do feel lethargic too.

Are you keeping up with your Protein Shakes? I found that to be the key to keeping my energy levels up.

I haven't been sleeved yet but I have had 2 c-sections and both times I weighted in 10-20lbs more after surgery. Everyone is different and I tend to swell badly for about 2-3 weeks after surgery. So you not the only one that goes thur this and in a couple weeks you will get in the scale and have a 20lbs loss because you swelling will go down. Good luck:)

Really, I gained eleven pounds that I know of (I avoided the scale for a week post op) so it happens.

Many people feel "hunger" until they're on soft foods and solids. It gets easier.

In the beginning the focus is hydration, Protein, calories, in that order. If you aren't hungry, that's okay but you better be sip, sip, sipping on something all day long. Dehydration will make you feel horrible and will set you back and sometimes leads to an extra trip to the hospital, so be careful.

~Cheri