Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Cal Recipe Share Here

M2G
Sign in to follow this  

Thought we should have a place to share some low-cal recipes that are helpful for fasting days.

I'll start. I saw this on FB yesterday and actually tried it. It was delicious. However, I cut the recipe in half and it made 8 patties. I put all the ingredients in calorie count and it came up with 41 cals per pattie. I didn't have Panko but subbed Progresso bread crumbs and used that in my recipe analyzer. Oh the family gave them a thumbs up also!

Cheesy Cauliflower Patties

1 head cauliflower

2 large eggs

1/2 c cheddar cheese, grated

1/2 c panko

1/2 t cayenne pepper (more of less to taste)

salt

olive oil

Cut cauliflower into florets & cook in boiling Water until tender about 10 minutes. Drain. Mash the cauliflower while still warm. Stir cheese, eggs, panko, cayenne & salt to taste.

Coat the bottom of a griddle or skillet with olive oil over medium-high heat. Form the cauliflower mixture into patties about 3 inches across. Cook until golden brown & set, about 3 minutes per side. Keep each batch warm in the oven while you cook the rest.

When I'm Jonesing for Mexican….

3/4 cup crushed Tomato (canned)

1 cup Water

2t chicken flavored veggie broth powder

1t canola oil

1 medium carrot sliced

1 medium sliced summer squash ( I like yellow)

2/3 cup St Ives or other veggie "ground round" type meat substitute from the refrigerator section.(two servings)

onion powder

chili powder mix to taste

black pepper

1T parmesan cheese

the kitchen sink.

If you have the calories, sweet corn is a nice addition as well.

Put all the ingredients except cheese in a medium pot, heat till the veggies are tender, around 15-20 minutes. pour into giant bowl, top with cheese. Makes a giant bowl of Soup.

about 328 cals, 31 grams Protein and a LOT of yum! Add hot salsa if you want more kick. I like a chili spice mix with cumin, garlic , chili as dominant flavors…

Can serve 2.... but I prefer to eat it all myself!

And for dessert. 3 ingredient cobbler

Any SF or regular yellow or white cake mix

1 can diet lemon lime (seven up, sprite) or 12 oz fizzy Water

2 16oz bags frozen fruit

Spray Pam bottom 13x9 dish, pour frozen fruit in bottom, sprinkle cake is over top, pour liquid overtop. DON'T MIX cover with foil and bake20 mins350. Uncover bake until brown and bubbly. You can also usecannedfruit and pour half of juice out.

I haven't tried this yet, but plan on it! It says it makes 3 servings, but I am not sure how big a serving would be. I have tried cauliflower bread sticks, and they are a decent substitute.

Cauliflower Fried Rice

Ingredients

• 1/2 head of raw cauliflower, grated (about 3.5, loosley packed)
    3 green onions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2-3 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
    1/2 - 1 tsp. garlic salt
    3 eggs beaten
    oil
    Pork, chicken or shrimp, cooked (optional)

Directions

In a wok or large skillet, heat eough oil to cover bottome of pan. Fry minced garlic and white part of onions for approximately 1 minute. Add cauliflower and fry for approximately 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add soy sauce, garlic salt, green onion tops amd meat (optional) and stir until mixed. Push mixture to side of pan. Add more oil if necessary, and scramble eggs in empty side of pan until done but still moist. Stirr eggs into "rice" and remove from heat. Serves 3 as a side dish.

Number of Servings: 3, each serving is

Nutritional Info

Servings Per Recipe: 3

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 155.4

Total Fat: 9.8 g

Cholesterol: 212.5 mg

Sodium: 869.6 mg

Total Carbs: 8.7 g

Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g

Protein: 9.5 g

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=586165

Sheila...that is such a GREAT idea...TY! It would be a great sub for rice. I've made cauliflower pizza before (where you steam the cauliflower, "rice" it by chopping finely and mix with egg to form the pizza "crust" and then top like a pizza.) Here let me find that recipe to share in case anyone wants to try it. I did it once when I was maybe 3 months post-op and it was yummy but my stomach made the strangest sounds after, so I never did it again. I think it was just too many veggies for my little sleeve. I really should try it again...

Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe

Ingredients

for pizza

• 1 small head of cauliflower, leaves and stems removed
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon parsley
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup Manchengo sheep milk cheese (or Mozzarella)
  • 2 eggs
  • cornmeal, to dust the pizza stone
  • 1 jar marinara or pizza sauce
  • 1/2 cup sheep milk cheese
  • 5-8 basil leaves

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Chop cauliflower florets into chunks. Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles a fine grain, like rice or couscous. Pour cauliflower into a large bowl. Add herbs, and salt, then cheese and eggs.

3. Spread a tablespoon or so of cornmeal all over a pizza stone. Place the cauliflower mixture (note- this won't resemble a ball of dough) on the middle of the stone and use your hands to press it into a circle about 1/4 inch thick.

4. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 then an additional 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Crust will be done when it turns golden brown in color.

5. Remove crust from oven. Change oven temperature to 450 degrees. Add pizza sauce, cheese and whatever toppings you would like, then bake again for about 5 minutes or until cheese on top is melted.

Oh! Can I contribute the shakshuka I made the other night? YUM. I ate the leftovers for dinner the other day without the pita for fast day.

Modified from the recipe on smitten kitchen:

5 Anaheim peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped

1 Jalepeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped

1 small yellow onion, chopped

5 cloves of minced garlic

3 Tbs olive oil

1 tsp ground cumin

1 Tbs paprika

1 28 ounce can of whole, peeled tomatoes (I use no sodium Trader Joe's), undrained

1/2 cup Water

8 eggs

2 oz diced haloumi cheese

2 oz soft feta cheese

1 Tbs fresh parsley

Salt and pepper, to taste

Warm pitas (on non fast days!)

Saute peppers and onion in oil over medium-high heat. Use a large skillet with cover or dutch oven with cover.

Cook until soft and golden brown, about six minutes. Add garlic, cumin and paprika and cook an additional two minutes.

While cooking, break apart the tomatoes with your hands by gently squeezing them in a bowl. Add the tomatoes with their liquid and the Water to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium.

Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened - about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Gently break eggs over the sauce, spreading them out in the pan. Cover pan and turn off burner. Let eggs poach in the hot liquid for about six minutes. I prefer my eggs runny so turning off the heat makes me happy. If you prefer them hard, leave the heat on low for those six minutes.

Sprinkle with haloumi, feta and parsley and cover again for a minute to allow the feta to start to melt.

Serves eight - each person gets an egg with a goodly portion of the sauce. We serve with salat yerakot (Israeli salad), warm pita (on non fast days) and hummus.

Per MFP, one eighth without any sides or pita is 185 calories, 10 carbs, 13 fat, 10 Protein

Here is what is for lunch/dinner thanks to Stratusphr on MFP. chicken breast cooked in rotel with spices and red bell pepper. Looks an smells heavenly

post-2638-13813668875498_thumb.jpg

So, it's higher in fat than some of you might like, but I made chorizo and eggs for my fast dinner last night. Instead of using a tortilla (can't eat the buggers, anyway) I just topped with a pinch of cheese and a teensy dab of sour cream. Oh, and lots of cholula. YUM!

Beef chorizo (I prefer the fresh sausages they sell at Whole Foods, but they sell rolls in the section of the grocery with lunch meat)

1/2 small yellow onion, chopped

6 eggs

Shredded cheese

Sour cream

Tortillas (for those that can, I don't use em, but you could easily wrap it up in lettuce wraps to sub)

Cholula or Melinda's hot sauce, of course!

Remove chorizo from casings, if there are any. Add chorizo and onions to a large skillet and cook over medium heat. Break apart any large chunks and cook until done - about five minutes or so.

Drain well, if there is excess grease. I drain and then dab with paper towels to get as much of the grease out as possible.

Return to heat and crack in the eggs. Scramble it all together, and cook until the eggs are your desired consistency. I scramble hard, but in any case, it only takes a few minutes to finish cooking.

Serve wrapped in tortillas or lettuce or just piled on a plate and topped with shredded cheese and sour cream. And plenty of hot sauce, naturally.

Serves 8-10 (with appetites like mine), or 4 big eaters - or even 2 huge eaters (I saw my husband and 17 year old stepson devour an entire pan themselves once!)

Per MFP, just the chorizo/egg mixture is 179 calories, 3 carbs, 15 fat, 8 Protein - when I portion it out, I eat 1/8th of the pan and feed the rest to the family.

Add in your cheese/sour cream to that, but it's not a bad fast day dinner!

Sounds yummy! Excuse my ignorance but what kind of sausage is chorizo?

And remember if you would l would like your minestrone recipe. We love Soup in my house.

Sounds yummy! Excuse my ignorance but what kind of sausage is chorizo?

And remember if you would l would like your minestrone recipe. We love Soup in my house.

It's a spicy Mexican sausage, I buy "soyrizo"

Made from tofu, I just made a big batch of it with scramble eggs for my husbands Breakfast this week. He eats it with a tortilla :)

Wow, I'm kind of intimidated by how much effort you guys are putting in on fast days! For me, I treat fast days like post-op days, and consider them time-outs from the world of food, where I just don't have to eat it or think about it. So it's Protein Shakes, jerkies, and Gy for me.

That being said, if I had access to real food and a kitchen, I would really like to try this recipe someone posted to the paleo FB page: It's half an avocado, with an egg baked in the pit-hole, topped with parmesan!!!!

Globe, for my fast days I eat Greek yogurt for the first meal and boiled or roasted chicken, or a Kirkland turkey burger (35 grams of protein) on a salad for the rest.

I can't do shakes and bars they don't fill me up very well, I need volume, but I'm no cook!

I don't so much in Fast days either. Yesterday I did because I was off work and needed something for Hubs too. Usually just do my ow. Thing on Fasts :)

I cook every day. It's comforting and enjoyable and stress relief for me. For me, it's been really fun to come up with great things to eat for fast day that my husband will eat with me. You know, without breaking the calorie bank on them, or having to skip half the meal! I love chicken but really, chicken breasts can only take me so far. I get sick of the same things over and over again.

So, yes, the chorizo is a spicy sausage. I get the freshly made stuff at Whole Foods. I enjoy it once in a while but well, many people don't. I also enjoy chopped liver, remember? I have a wide variety of tastes. :)

Minestrone Soup - from a modified recipe I found on allrecipes:

3 links of sweet Italian turkey sausage (casings removed) - optional, I make it vegetarian sometimes

2 Tbs. olive oil

4 cloves chopped or minced garlic (adjust to your taste)

1 large onion, chopped

4 stalks celery, chopped

5 carrots, chopped

3 cups chicken or vegetable broth

2 cups Water

1 (28 oz) can Tomato sauce

1/2 cup red wine - optional

1 can kidney Beans, drained

1 can green Beans, drained

1 cup baby spinach, rinsed

1 large or 2 small zucchinis, quartered and sliced

1 Tbs. fresh oregano, chopped

2 Tbs. fresh basil, chopped

Salt and pepper, to taste

1/2 cup seashell or mini farfalle Pasta

Grated Parmesan or romano for garnish

Heat oil in a stock pot over medium heat and cook turkey sausage (if using) until no longer pink. Break into small chunks. Without draining (there should not be much excess oil), add garlic and onion to the pan and saute for five minutes. Then add the celery and carrot and cook an additional 2 or 3 minutes.

Add the stock, Water and Tomato sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, then add in the wine. Reduce the heat to low and add in the kidney beans, green beans, spinach, zucchini and spices. Go easy on the salt until the mixture has time to blend well and you can be sure it's needed.

Simmer for an hour. While soup is simmering, boil Pasta according to package instructions.

When soup is ready, do the final seasoning, stir in pasta and garnish with cheese to serve.

Soup is always best after it's had time to cool completely and is reheated. Also, you might find that your vegetables absorb a lot of your water if this sits in the fridge for a few days; just add a little more water when reheating and it will be fine!

Makes a ton of soup and will feed you for several days.