Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've been doing research and I've learned that some people can never tolerate ice cream again, some people aren't "allowed" it, and some people indulge every so often. I'm generally asking the "indulges". I'm not an ice cream person per say but I am definitely a sweets person, and I'm thinking (correct me if I'm wrong please!!!) maybe a cup of ice cream or some form of ice cream treat would be a healthier way to get my sweets cravings fulfilled. As oppose to brownies or Cookies or candy. Again, if I'm wrong and ice cream is WORSE, well than tell me what I should try instead of! I'm very recently sleeved so most definitely looking towards 6+ months or even past goal weight. We have a Dairy Queen and a privately owned place like Dairy Queen but better and more homemade and more choices. During the summer my family takes trips down there to enjoy a treat after a day of boating or swimming and I'm looking for healthier options of things to try. Also I'm looking for the "best" kind of ice cream to buy at super markets, my husband could stand to eat a HEALTHIER kind of ice cream as well!!!! Thanks for any input!!!

SW: 324 DOSW: 322 CW: 311 surgery date-7/10/13 Sent from my iPhone using VST

So I've been doing research and I've learned that some people can never tolerate ice cream again, some people aren't "allowed" it, and some people indulge every so often. I'm generally asking the "indulges". I'm not an ice cream person per say but I am definitely a sweets person, and I'm thinking (correct me if I'm wrong please!!!) maybe a cup of ice cream or some form of ice cream treat would be a healthier way to get my sweets cravings fulfilled. As oppose to brownies or Cookies or candy. Again, if I'm wrong and ice cream is WORSE, well than tell me what I should try instead of! I'm very recently sleeved so most definitely looking towards 6+ months or even past goal weight. We have a Dairy Queen and a privately owned place like Dairy Queen but better and more homemade and more choices. During the summer my family takes trips down there to enjoy a treat after a day of boating or swimming and I'm looking for healthier options of things to try. Also I'm looking for the "best" kind of ice cream to buy at super markets, my husband could stand to eat a HEALTHIER kind of ice cream as well!!!! Thanks for any input!!!

Healthier is a matter of perspective. Are you looking for higher Protein content? Lower sugar content? I've read lots of great recipes for homemade Protein ice cream. Both of my go-to bariatric food websites, theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and bariatricfoodie.com, both have recipes for protein ice cream.

For low sugar, you would just have to look around. Your local place might have some sugar free option, not sure about Diary Queen. For store bought stuff, I prefer pre-portioned stuff. It keeps me from having to measure out servings...because my tiny tummy is not going to tell me it's full of ice cream in only 1/2 cup or whatever a "serving" is on the label.

I like the Breyer's/Edy's Carbwise ice cream bars line...although, I count total carbs rather than net carbs, so have to really read the label to figure out the total carb count. I think the last time I bought some, the total carbs was around 11 carbs..which I can work into my day.

~Kat

I eat a fruitaire strawberries and milk bar every once in a while and account for the 110 calories in it.. YUM... I also own a horizontal juicer and I can put frozen berries and frozen bananas through it and grinds them down into ice cream texture. Avocado/very ripe banana/mullberries is my absolute favorite right now.. I squeeze a lime on the berries then run everything through the juicer and add some diet gingerale (yep, I drink diet sodas occasionally) and stir it all up DELISH and other than the bit of diet gingerale.. VERY healthy!

As for regular old icecream.. Yeah, I'd have a bit but it's crazy with calories and totally a slider food. Half a cup of ben and jerry's has like 300 calories ......in HALF A CUP!!!!

I crave cold, wet things right now..17 weeks out and summertime! I have found frozen yogurt that has Protein, even a greek frozen yogurt like Yoplait and not too bad carbs..I scoop out a small bit, 1/3-1/2 cup. It does okay, and makes me feel like im eating dessert. Flavor not as great as regular ice cream, but that's the trade off..Im afraid of liking it too much, and wanting too much!

Healthier is a matter of perspective. Are you looking for higher Protein content? Lower sugar content? I've read lots of great recipes for homemade Protein ice cream. Both of my go-to bariatric food websites' date=' theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and bariatricfoodie.com, both have recipes for protein ice cream.

For low sugar, you would just have to look around. Your local place might have some sugar free option, not sure about Diary Queen. For store bought stuff, I prefer pre-portioned stuff. It keeps me from having to measure out servings...because my tiny tummy is not going to tell me it's full of ice cream in only 1/2 cup or whatever a "serving" is on the label.

I like the Breyer's/Edy's Carbwise ice cream bars line...although, I count total carbs rather than net carbs, so have to really read the label to figure out the total carb count. I think the last time I bought some, the total carbs was around 11 carbs..which I can work into my day.

~Kat[/quote']

Okay I'll give you a little more info lol my diet per my dietician is just "healthy". She did not assign me a number of carbs to stay under or protein to reach or fats to avoid. I think their plan is very vague and self implying. Basically for the "regular food for the rest of your life" section says you know eat your Proteins first, then vegetables/fruits and then if you have room go for the carbs or what ever is left. I know any dietician would say ice cream isn't "recommended" but honestly even people without the sleeve are probably advised to avoid it just because it's empty calories. So with that being said I haven't decided what I want to count/or if I do yet, because I'm only a week out. I'm not looking to eat whatever and whenever I like the idea of 3 or 4 "meals" of Proteins and vegetables and fruits, which I love. So I like the idea of "pre portioned" ice cream. Like bars or treats that are single serve or I know TONS of brands make those little 1$ tubs of single serve ice cream. I mean there's thousands of flavors and brands and even frozen yogurt or frozen GREEK yogurt now (which is yum), but I'm looking for something that wouldn't sabotage a persons day. Like my husband, say he sits down and has a bowl of ice cream, I want to be able to stock my freezer with options that aren't the WORST on the shelf. We already buy sugar free syrups and toppings and he is ADVISED to not crush Oreos in his ice cream but then again he's gonna eat what he eats but if I do have the urge to reach for a bowl (small) I want to know that I've picked the best choice... And hopefully feel less guilty?

I had a really hard time tolerating things like ice cream up until recently. I'm talking one bite of my husbands ice cream and i'd run to the bathroom to puke my guts out (sorry for the visual) so i stayed away from it for a while, and last week i decided to try another bite of my husbands ice cream and I could tolerate it... I think my issue was the sugar and the milk product.. no bueno! but I can handle yogurt and cheese no problem! but I had some SLIGHT dairy intolerance prior to surgery, it was all just amplified.. Its not something I make a habit of eating, and its not something I will eat in excess... its just a nice treat every now and again.

I would try the Protein ice cream recipe that Kat was talking about, that sounds like its more tolerable!

U could try some frozen Greek yogurt. In the freezers section of the groc store. I tried some once and was fine but I only ate like a tablespoon of it.