Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hate my NUT

I'll get voted down for this' date=' but do you really NEED a nutritionist?

Mine didn't do squat for me. I learned more on YouTube and nutrition sites in an hour than I did with my nut in 5 visits.[/quote']

Yes please share links if you have them. I am yet another who finds my Nut completely useless.

The first surgeon I was going to use (ending up switching due to his long waiting list) said flat out in the seminar...no offense to any Nuts out there but the way you tell Americans to eat is flat out wrong' date=' you're helping keep America fat. When he said that you instantly knew who the Nuts were.

He said do what they tell you to do to qualify. However once you get sent to me, we're doing things my way. I really liked his style!

The point is, they are going to tell you what the standards are and are not going to deviate from it. It is a special Nut that actually understands the true dietary requirements for post-ops. The surgical team I chose has a Nut on their staff, she specializes in bariatric surgery nutrition. She's great![/quote']

My NUT IS on my surgeon's staff! That's my problem! He only has the one and she's awful.

I'll get voted down for this' date=' but do you really NEED a nutritionist?

Mine didn't do squat for me. I learned more on YouTube and nutrition sites in an hour than I did with my nut in 5 visits.[/quote']

Maybe not everyone does, but I do.

i did not care for mine either. she looks gaunt, on the edge of anorexia. never smiles. is a very cold person. she is very rigid. her answers are the only ones that matter. my questions seem to be annoyances. and she's suck in the 80's. everything is artifical sweeteners and non-fat products. i dont know if i have to see her specifically again. i know i get follow up at the center for life.... but i will request someone else if i have to see her post op.

look for people who will help you, life is too short to waste with people who are negative for you. :)

i did not care for mine either. she looks gaunt' date=' on the edge of anorexia. never smiles. is a very cold person. she is very rigid. her answers are the only ones that matter. my questions seem to be annoyances. and she's suck in the 80's. everything is artifical sweeteners and non-fat products. i dont know if i have to see her specifically again. i know i get follow up at the center for life.... but i will request someone else if i have to see her post op.

look for people who will help you, life is too short to waste with people who are negative for you. :)[/quote']

Terry: I don't understand why I will need to exercise every day, even after I reach goal and keep my intake down.

Size 0 25 yr old NUT: Because your body is starving itself. You can only eat off of this tiny little plate for the rest of your life. BWAAA - HAA - HAA.

That about sums it up.....

I work in the hospital and got to tell you in my 20 years as a RN I have never found any dietician helpful to either me or my patients. They hand out preprinted crap over and over again but ask them to think outside the box and watch them panic. I have found doing my own google searches more helpful.

I was required to see my NUT three times, twice before surgery and once after, and she too is a size 0 and is all about sugar-free and fat-free everything. I told her I don't eat any sugar free products and she asked me why and I told her because of the chemicals in them and that I eat mostly organic foods and she told me I would HAVE to use sugar free products if I wanted to lose weight. I almost laughed out loud at her. I haven't eaten a single SF product and have had no problem losing weight.

I do not plan on seeing her again- I feel it is a waste of my time since she just repeats the same information everytime that was already given to me in a booklet. I have gotten so much more valuable and practical nutrition ideas and advice from this site!

I'm so glad i'm not the only one that dislikes my NUT. Same story here...grumpy, snooty, tiny, armed with pre printed crap and plastic examples of " portion sizes". Her answer to EVERY question is: "you should be following the Lifetime Meal Plan".

Yah...no sh*t.

I know you guys are venting but can't believe you're criticizing your dietitians based on body size. They weigh the right amount because they eat according to their own guidelines. Also carrying extra weight is not going to help them in their careers. "Who should listen to her? She's not even thin." I can just hear it now.

my naturopath is a curvy, big boobed, vital woman whom i love. she smiles, is warm and inviting and sparkles with life. i want to parktake of what she is offering. she says, " i eat like this" and i want to join her. my nut looks like she is starving herself. she seems unhappy and never smiles. she comes across as severe and rigid. never welcomes my questions, acts like any other points of view about nutrition are illegal. its not about her being skinny or too skinny, its about how she treats me.

Misty, not at all. Take out the size comment and nothing abt the personality changes. I brought it up because she honestly makes frowny disgusted like faces when looking at my food diary or when answering a question or most any time i interact with her. I realize if someone is interested enough in nutrition to get a degree in it, then they most likely have lived and do live a healthy lifestyle. That's great and admirable. But it's also evident in my case, that she's never had a wt problem or struggled with food to a point of dealing with obesity and having 80% of her stomach removed to deal with it. It's like having a WW counselor that's never been overweight. I'm sure there are lovely, understanding, thin NUTS out there. And lovely, patient, understanding NUTS at have a few extra lbs on them. I dont judge ppl by their size, it was merely descriptive commentary like ("tall", "pretty" etc). A B is a B, no matter what size they are.

When I started my journey a year ago I had a NUT that I did not like. When I came for my office visits I would ask who the NUT on duty was if it was the one I did not like I would reschedule.

I agree with MoonLiteStarBrite & LDallas - my displeasure with my NUT isn't due to her body size, it's her lack of experience with, and empathy for, what it's like to be overweight. She has never been in my shoes, and is judgemental rather than being supportive. Granted, I do refer to her as The Stickbug, but that's based more on my lack of creativity than a dislike of her solely due to her body weight. I just don't like the chick.

I agree with MoonLiteStarBrite & LDallas - my displeasure with my NUT isn't due to her body size' date=' it's her lack of experience with, and empathy for, what it's like to be overweight. She has never been in my shoes, and is judgemental rather than being supportive. Granted, I do refer to her as The Stickbug, but that's based more on my lack of creativity than a dislike of her solely due to her body weight. I just don't like the chick.[/quote']

I hear ya. My current NUT is cool and very supportive. What won me over is she is experienced. She hears me and that's important. She is a small sized woman but we are on an even field.

This thread has made me even more thankful for my NUT. She is curvy, personable, and sincerely has a desire to help. She doesn't follow the pyramid and says that all foods can fit in our meal plans. We focus on starch, Protein, fats, veggies, fruit, milk exchanges. I've learned to convert grams into servings and can analyze a label like no other lol. The NUTs I deal with at my hospital are completely worthless, regardless of size or shape, at educating my patients on diets appropriate for their diabetes/heart disease/renal failure etc and I end up doing it myself. Don't tell my diabetic patient that he can't have sugar in his cream of wheat but breads and Pasta won't effect his blood sugar!

My NP that I have to see pre op on the other hand is overweight, cold, and judgemental about those of contemplating surgery. Skinny or fat, her attitude is off-putting and I can't wait until I'm done with my 12 week Options class and can meet with the surgeon!!