Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been very naughty.....

Well, I'm into my 5th month and have slipped from my healthy eating since June. I find that I started pigging out in the evenings again. Not to the same extent as prior to surgery, but enough that I have not lost any weight, but have maintained. There's no excuse, but we all try to come up with some to justify our behavior and I'm no different. So here's my excuse: I wanted to pig out since I was afraid I may have cancer. I told my hubby that it would be a bummer if I developed cancer and can't pig out like I use to prior to surgery.

Well, the first cancer scare was after my mammogram. After getting a second mammogram and an ultrasound, it was determined that it was nothing, but they want me to do another mammogram in 6 months just to be sure. Then I find I have this lump in my neck and a CT scan and a needle biopsy had to be done to determine that it was a benign tumor in my salivary glands that I will have surgery to remove it in the next month or so. When the needle biopsy was done, I ended up with an infection and had to take a round of antibiotics. But that isn't all, the CT scan showed that I had multiple thyroid nodules. Since then, I've had an ultrasound done that showed the largest nodule was 1.9 cm. At 1 cm the doctor likes to do a needle biopsy to determine if it's benign or malignant. So now on Thursday, I go for the needle biopsy of my thyroid nodules by the endocrinologist. Now I ask you, would this have knocked you off the healthy eating wagon as it had me? None the less, I am working on getting back on it since I'm thinking more positive that the thyroid nodules will also be benign. What a roller coaster ride these last 2 months!

Wish you the best with your thyroid biopsy. I had to have one right before getting sleeved, and I thought it would derail my surgery plans. Mine is a whopping 3.8 cm. Half of me was hoping it would derail surgery, but it turned out they did not find any malignancy. I have to go back in 3 mos for another ultrasound and likely another biopsy.

First and foremost, I am so sorry to hear your news. I hope that everything turns out to be just fine and I will keep you in my happy thoughts. I am sure you are a mess.

Everyone reacts differently to stress, so what's normal for you isn't necessarily normal for anyone else. When my brain tumor was discovered, I actually lost weight in the three weeks between the initial CAT scan and the actual eviction. Normally, I would have eaten my way through the ordeal, but my doctor told me that he wanted me as healthy as I could be for surgery and the less I weighed, the better. There was a good chance that my balance would have been thrown off (it was), that I would lose mobility in my left side (I didn't) and various other horrors that never came to be. He was insistent that it would be much easier on my caretakers and myself if I fell post op, if I lost some weight.

I chose to spend what might have been my last few weeks (not trying to be dramatic, but that's a mother's thoughts) playing on the beach with my kids, going to the pool every day, taking the littles to the theme parks, etc. I lost about 20 pounds.

Unfortunately, I gained it all back plus forty of it's friends. ARGH!

I hear you... I'm going through a process of determining if liver lesions are benign or not - I had cancer 6 years ago so it terrified me for a while. The lesions are proving hard to diagnose though so today I've been told I'm on 3 monthly scans (known as "watchful waiting"), after a bundle of different types of scan and a biopsy showed nothing conclusive. As I'm pretty well I've relaxed a lot of late.

But in the process of a gazillion blood tests it also looks like I have a chronic leukemia. Waiting to see a haematologist. .

I was able to deal with food pretty well (for me) but I did feel I was entitled to a drinkie or 3 (with some cheese of course, what good is fine wine without exquisite cheese? ??), so no weight loss for a few weeks there. And my insomnia has gone through the roof again, and I do find that I eat more if I'm up all night... Not binging, just so much more time awake plus tiredness means I sometimes eat for energy.

If it helps to know, I've had benign nodules on my thyroid many times - i have Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroiditis) and they've shrunk with medication. My mother had thyroid cancer and if you are well in other ways the prognosis is excellent.

One thing I was told when I first got cancer is that now I'd probably end up with other investigations or diagnoses - when you have lots of blood tests and scans drs find things they can't immediately explain. If they weren't looking you'd be blissfully ignorant - like the rest of the population - and almost certainly nothing would come of it. Try not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know, I know).

I think we're both doing well to still be here, concerned about our weight loss and getting on with it.

Good luck with everything. I'd love to hear how things turn out, but I think you have every reason to feel positive. In fact I think I'll go and toast your good health right now... with a teensy bit of cheese on the side.

Cheers, Susan

Thank you for sharing your stories with me.

Blash, I'm glad to hear yours is benign and you can focus on getting healthy

LipstickLady, now with the sleeve, it'll help you to get healthy...you're about half way there...congrats!

Sydney Susan, I hope your liver lesions are benign. I see you're more than half way to your goal. I hope you reach your goal cancer free.

I'll check back with you all once I find out if the thyroid nodules are benign or malignant. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for three out of three to be benign (breast, salivary gland, and thyroid)..thyroid is the last one to be tested. I blame all this on turning 50!

Ugh. I would of done the same as you. Cancer scares suck.

allons-y

Yayyyyy....everything is benign! My thyroid needle biopsy came back benign. So now the only thing left is to have surgery to remove the tumor in my salivary gland. I guess the bright side of surgery is that I'll be out of work for a week which I have enough sick leave to cover the week so I still get paid....lol

Great news Isleevedit! You must feel like you're walking on air. My liver lesions still causing great consternation... As in, drs can't figure out what they are. I'm well so I'm just getting on with life, and another round of scans in 3 months to see if there's change. Yes, turning 50 is definately the cause! Shame the alternative is so unpalatable...

It is hard not to reach for comforting things in times like those. I still find myself wanting to reach for chocolate when I am stressed out. I have not been through anything like you so I won't compare, but I wish you luck.