Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

**IF YOU STILL HAVE YOUR GALL BLADDER PAY ATTENTION****

My doctor said unless there is a current or past issue with the gall bladder they will not take it out. I've only had one gall bladder attack so its going to stay put. They aren't going to take out a healthy organ because it "might" cause a problem. In that case they may as well take out my appendix, tonsils and do a hysterectomy while they are in there.

I know two other people who've had the sleeve and my mom lost a lot of weight without surgery. My friend, mom, and I have had to get our gallbladders removed! Insurance will only cover it if there's a problem but it probably is a good idea to get it checked before the sleeve surgery. If you can get it done at the same time, it'd be nice! I wish I did.

I told my surgeon that unless there was an issue with my gallbladder (they did routine ultrasounds as part of the pre-op hoops), then I would be keeping mine, kthnxbai...! It's an ORGAN with a real function. Everyone I know who has had WLS & needed it removed after the fact, had dietary issues (following prescribed diet, etc). Do your research, TALK to your surgeon & ask so many questions that they won't be able to doubt your intelligence. I probably drove my team insane with all the questions I asked, but I was able to go into surgery with a clear conscience. I don't say that to sound high & mighty, not at all. But people post radical things like this OP all the time & get people all frantic.

My surgery is scheduled for August 6th and my surgeon said he will only take my gallbladder out at the same time IF it looks really bad. Otherwise, it will stay in and yes there will be a possibility of it needing to be removed later on. However, he doesn't want to increase the time I have to be under anesthesia and increase the chances of complications, just to remove my gallbladder.

If you don't have any issues with your gall bladder, you shouldn't have it removed. Period. Any responsible surgeon will say the same.

If you take the preventative medication (actigall) after surgery it's not likely you'll need a second surgery to remove your gall bladder. Some people may still need it removed but it's not common. If it was a likely prospect then more surgeons would be removing the gall bladder pre-emptively. The more they can bill for, the better for them.

I did not say EVERY person would need their gall bladder removed, I was trying to tell people this is a "way" to have the sleeve done IF they could get away with combining it with the Gall bladder surgery! If it helps a few slide under the insurance approval I am HAPPY to OPEN my mouth.

I did not say EVERY person would need their gall bladder removed, I was trying to tell people this is a "way" to have the sleeve done IF they could get away with combining it with the Gall bladder surgery! If it helps a few slide under the insurance approval I am HAPPY to OPEN my mouth.

I think the problem may be in the original wording of your post. When you said:

DO NOT let them do the sleeve if you have your gall bladder, as YOU WILL HAVE to have gall bladder surgery in a month or two AFTER the sleeve.

So when you stated YOU WILL HAVE to have gallbladder surgery in a month or two AFTER surgery, it sounds pretty alarmist... Maybe you were referring to those who ALREADY have existing gallbladder problems? If so, then what you're saying might make sense but that's not how I understood your original post.

My surgeon also put me on Ursodol twice a day which I will be done with in August after 6 months of taking the medicine. I am now on month 5 with no issues. Please check your facts and sources before posting something so misleading.

After I started getting serious about going ahead with the sleeve, I started getting horrible gallbladder attacks. I am full of gallstones. I am glad it acted up now because I am getting both at the same time. Everyone I have known with WLS has had to have it after.

I had gallbladder issues up to a year prior to the sleeve surgery, but my regular MD couldn't prove that it was my gallbladder. I had all the tests and the couldn't find stones or anything.

When I had my sleeve, my surgeon would not remove my gallbladder unless he had a medical reason to (and my insurance would not have covered it). I would have loved to have it removed at the same time because 3 weeks after sleeve surgery, I had gallbladder surgery. In the ER, the ultrasound technician said that they used to remove the gallbladder at the same time if there was even a slight chance you had issues, but now the insurance companies won't cover that. So, if you have stones and can get it done at the same time - great (you only have to recover from one surgery). Or if you are self pay - go for it. Otherwise, we are at the mercy of the insurance companies.

Also, you do need your gallbladder - it serves a purpose. Until it makes you vomit non-stop (like me), then you should have it removed:)

As a side note, I am suffering with intestinal issues after gallbladder surgery - not fun!

I am pre-op. Both my mom and my sister had their gall bladders out and neither were overweight at the time. Lately I have been having a lot of sour stomach issues with burping and diarrhea. Could this be caused by my gall bladder? My surgery will be sometime in November.

YOU are the exact reason why I don't have a face on my profile. You come in here and chew someone out for making a post! How rude!

I am one of those people who had to have my gallbladder removed after WLS!

I am just a few days past my one year anniversary from surgery and wouldn't even dare post my story cuz of people like you!!!

Sorry if you feel that way. I don't appreciate people coming on here and scaring others with statements that are unfounded and simply not true. I have held back hundreds of times on this site.. but that post really got to me. There are people that come to these posts and believe everything they read. That first post was horrible---giving out advice that shouldn't be given. I really am sorry if my post would prevent you from sharing your story. I just want people out there to know that when they read stuff on here- IT IS NOT ALL TRUE. And everybody should do their own extensive research and consult the surgeons. Not base their decisions on what patients on this site write. Come to think of it- I don't want anyone to base their decision on anything I write. Again- sorry to you.

I spoke with my surgeon and he said I should be fine. He's also not prescribing me Actigall. I plan on keeping my fingers crossed & hoping for the best! The man went to Harvard and Columbia for his medical training so I'm going to trust him ;)

I spoke with my surgeon and he said I should be fine. He's also not prescribing me Actigall. I plan on keeping my fingers crossed & hoping for the best! The man went to Harvard and Columbia for his medical training so I'm going to trust him ;)

You are not alone, not all Surgeons prescribe it. It's kind of like drains, oversewing the staple line and forbidding soda.. some people feel passionate about it and tend to believe that if THEIR surgeon does it then any surgeon who does not follow the same protocol is "wrong"

Can you post a link to a reliable source that says this?

There isn't one. I'm 6 months out. Taking actigall and will be for a year. Absolutely no problems.