Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetics who got sleeved....

Anyone with diabetes who got sleeved how has your diabetes been? Still on meds or not and how Long did it take to get off them

Type II Diabetes

Was taking 2 Kombilgyze (like Metformin)

15 units of Levemir (insulin)

1 night in hospital and am still taking 1 Kombilglyze and no insulin since I left.

Was taking other meds totaling 9-10/day plus insulin. Now taking 2 1/2 pills.

Figure those will be gone sooner or later!

Type II Diabetes

Was taking 2 Kombilgyze (like Metformin)

15 units of Levemir (insulin)

1 night in hospital and am still taking 1 Kombilglyze and no insulin since I left.

Was taking other meds totaling 9-10/day plus insulin. Now taking 2 1/2 pills.

Figure those will be gone sooner or later!

I hope so! I'm looking forward to getting sleeved to be off my medication. Is there a chance if the diabetes coming back later in life?

Type one here' date=' barely even touch my insulin now, and my body produces less than 6% ... My A1C is below a 6[/quote']

How long were you diabetic?

I hope so! I'm looking forward to getting sleeved to be off my medication. Is there a chance if the diabetes coming back later in life?

The Dr said the diagnosis will always be there even if numbers are controlled by the weight loss, proper nutrition & exercise. I would guess if someone doesn't make those changes in their life numbers could creep up.

I've been diabetic for 20 years. My surgeon actually was concerned that when you've been diabetic for more than 5 years, you might not be able to get off the medication.

I was on 20mg of Glipizide XL a day, but should have been taking other meds as before my surgery my A1C was 10! That's mostly because I was eating everything I thought I would never be able to eat again (I called it my "dead man walking diet").

During the pre-op diet, I cut the med by half. That was 2 months ago. Now I am down to 5mg a day of Glipizide and my blood sugars are running 90-130. I am due for another round of blood tests in a couple of weeks and my doctor is telling me my A1C should be about 6. My doctor is so funny -- I think she is more excited than I an about the surgery.

Finally, I have to tell you -- I feel fabulous ! I am exercising every day, I am down about 35 lbs and I have energy like I haven't had in years!

Good luck in your journey! It's going to be amazing!

I've been diabetic for 20 years. My surgeon actually was concerned that when you've been diabetic for more than 5 years' date=' you might not be able to get off the medication.

I was on 20mg of Glipizide XL a day, but should have been taking other meds as before my surgery my A1C was 10! That's mostly because I was eating everything I thought I would never be able to eat again (I called it my "dead man walking diet").

During the pre-op diet, I cut the med by half. That was 2 months ago. Now I am down to 5mg a day of Glipizide and my blood sugars are running 90-130. I am due for another round of blood tests in a couple of weeks and my doctor is telling me my A1C should be about 6. My doctor is so funny -- I think she is more excited than I an about the surgery.

Finally, I have to tell you -- I feel fabulous ! I am exercising every day, I am down about 35 lbs and I have energy like I haven't had in years!

Good luck in your journey! It's going to be amazing![/quote']

Yay! I'm so happy for you. It's been a struggle for me with this disease and I want to be rid of it. Recently my grandmother was diagnosed with renal failure due in partly to diabetes and that really scared me. I hope to have control of this monster very soon.

I wasn't diabetic for long (3 years) but the term my doc used was "remission" with the very clear message that it is likely to come back when I'm older - I was told to keep an eye out as I headed into my sixties. For me, that means thirty years where he doesn't think it'll be a factor.

The last time I had insulin (or any medication) was shortly after surgery. Within days I was so much closer to a normal range (120-150) and within a few weeks I was normal again. Nowadays I don't move from 80-100 without a real sugar splurge to spike those numbers.

At the very least you are going to see a reduction in the amount of medication you're taking. And it's entirely possible you'll also go into remission and stop meds altogether. I've only run across a couple of folks still taking medication at a year out from surgery.

~Cheri

Before surgery Mach 11, I as on 12 units insulin and 1000 mg Metformin twice a day with an A1c of about 6. I am on the same amt of Metformin but down to 6 units of insulin with an A1C of 5. I have to track my blood sugar 2x a day for two weeks and if its below 90, I am off my insulin. I am not below 90 every day yet so it might be another couple of weeks before I go off.

I'am a type1 Diabetic and take about 85% less insulin then i did before surgery and have way better control.