Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boot Camp Class?

Has anyone tried doing a boot camp class right after surgery? My surgeon cleared me for all exercise starting this coming Monday, which will be six weeks post op for me. She said she wanted me to "punish my body" and do exercises that would leave me "dripping with sweat and gasping for air." So, I immediately thought of the time I took a boot camp class about three years ago, and she said that is perfect. I am wondering if anyone else has done something so strenuous so soon? I am only eating about 600 calories a day at this point, so I am concerned that I will not have the physical strength and stamina, not to mention I have not done any serious exercise since that boot camp class three years ago, only walking. The gym has assured me that even at a beginner level, I can do the class and I can modify some of the exercises until I am able to do them. I can't decide if I am just looking for excuses to not work out hard, especially since my surgeon is very supportive of intense exercise. I would appreciate your thoughts or experiences...

My experience was when I was still at 600 calories I was making it through a 60 minute class (Body Jam or Zumba - cardio type class). I had been working out at the gym for a few weeks but this particular class was up a notch the instructor told me a 600 calorie diet would make it hard to get through, plus you don't want to so deplete your calories and then slow your metabolism even more. At six weeks out and no exercising for three years, I personally would start out a bit easier. I am 9 months out now. I joined the gym three months ago and am now getting about 900 calories a day. (At six months I was at 600 calories still). I feel good at my calories as I still have about 25 pounds I want to lose, but definitely am trying to up my calories a bit more and work harder at the gym. I now can do a HIIT class, two 45 minute cardio dance classes in a row as well as a boot camp type class. In three months I went from walking the treadmill for 30 minutes, weight training for the over 60 crowd (I am 47) to doing the classes I just listed above.

So yes, you should push your body, but it doesn't have to be the first time you go to the gym. Figure out where you are and work up to things. And this is JUST my opinion and my experience. Hope it is helpful!

Good luck, and you will enjoy seeing the results of your hard work!

Just make sure you stay hydrated or you will be miserable.

I got the Okay from my doc to hit the gym and biking as I wanted. I am 3 weeks post op. Yesterday, I had gotten enough nutrition in and could go easy on working out in gym on machines for one hour. Today I did not get enough nutrition in and got weak quick, quit at 45 mins of a lite work out and then got sick with diarrhea. I will make some adjustments tomorrow and try again.

My point to all this is to do some limit testing of your abilities before a boot camp. I had high endurance and could go a few hours no problems pre surgery. Now I feel like I have a "new used car". I don't know how all of this motor/stomach works now post op. It is all so different. I will take small steps to figure out how fast or slow to go with my changes going forward. Lastly, I am trying to be patient with myself as I want to do more, but my body just can't. I am sad that I am not really strong as I have always know myself to be. I can't wait to get that back mostly at this point in my recovery.

Good Luck to you on finding your way to better exercise.

You should try insanity.. It will leave you dripping with sweat. I can't do all of the exercises but I still try.. It's awesome..