Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So many appointments.... Is this normal?

So since I have had my consult with my surgeon, I have had many many appointments... I am interested to see if all these appointments is what is being expected of others on this site. I will list below.

Nutrition Evaluation - 1 hour

Psych Evaluation - 2 hour

Upper endoscopy

Pre-op lab work

EKG, Chest X-ray, Pulmonary function test, ABG

Cardiology Consult

Pulmonary Consult

Medical Clearance with PCP

Pre-op Education class

Pre- admitting visit at hospital a week before surgery

I think that's everything

Is this what everyone else is going through????

I did not have the pre-op education class (mine was post op) and I did not have the pre-admitting visit at hospital. But the rest, yes, I had to go through them also. I had to travel about 3 hours to my surgeon, so most of my stuff was scheduled on the same day.

Ok let me remember what I had to do:

Psyc testing

Psyc appt

Scope that ended in testing sample of tissue

Nut eval

3 months of nut classes

1 support group

ultrasound of gallbladder

CT Scan of liver

Lab Work

sleep Study

Pre admittance appt at hospital w/ more lab work

Pre surgery appt with doctor

Pre surgery appt with nurse/Nut for hour long meeting

Exercise lady

Not sure if I summed it all up but there ya go!

So since I have had my consult with my surgeon, I have had many many appointments... I am interested to see if all these appointments is what is being expected of others on this site. I will list below.

Nutrition Evaluation - 1 hour

Psych Evaluation - 2 hour

Upper endoscopy

Pre-op lab work

EKG, Chest X-ray, Pulmonary function test, ABG

Cardiology Consult

Pulmonary Consult

Medical Clearance with PCP

Pre-op Education class

Pre- admitting visit at hospital a week before surgery

I think that's everything

Is this what everyone else is going through????

I did everything but cardiology. In addition to labs & the sleep study.

I have:

Online seminar about bariatric surgery

Initial Meeting with surgeon

Psych evaluation

Chest x ray

Fluoroscopy with barium

EKG

Gall bladder ultrasound

Blood labs

Gastroenterologist

Nutritionist

sleep study

Cardiologist

Follow up/results visit with surgeon and pre-op nutritionist

Ok thanks. I am glad. I was starting to think it was me. I already had a sleep study in January and I am having my gallbladder removed at the same time so I had already done CT scans. Can't wait til this part is over.

I have of such visit Saturday.

The on 7/25 I go for a pulmonary consult since I have sleep apnea,

A cardiologist consult,

Ultrasound of my gall bladder,

45 minute initial nutritionist appt,

Attendance at a support group

I still have to view an on line education video but did already complete a live seminar that is required

I did my surgery consult and my internist is writing a letter of necessity as my PCP.

Still have follow up nutritionist appt and support group attendance 8/8

I just can not wait for my surgery date.

Oh lets see....

sleep Study

Follow up sleep Study

Labs

Upper GI

Psych x 3 (1 for testing, 1 for approval and a secondary approval within 3 months of surgery)

Exercise Physiologist

Nutritionist (once, and again before surgery)

EKG

Minimum of 1 support group, have attended 5 out of 6

Two appts with surgeon, once to see if I was a good candidate and I will have another pre op.

There is another pre op class that is required (surgery date, pending approval, August 29)

They go so quickly. I really enjoyed the process. It was hard and yet very worth it.

Where is everybody having their surgery?

I am having it done at the Westchester Medical Center. It's affiliated and on the same grounds as NY Medical College.

They are supposed to be leaders in Gastric sleeve and do almost 500 a year.

http://www.nygetfit.com/

I'm lucky that my PCP/internist referred me.

It took me 8 months to get through all of my required pre-op appointments.

I had 3 months supervised diet with a nutritionist, upper GI, bloodwork (and subsequent month on meds for h pylori), a physical and pap with my pcp, and a psych eval (which was not enjoyable).

After all of that, I finally thought I was finished until the surgeon randomly tells me months after my consultation appointment that I also need lung and heart clearance. So I ended up also needing an EKG stress test, and breathing test. (Four more appointments)

I'm finally done and scheduled for my surgery and final pre-op visit with the surgeon 9 months after my initial consultation.

I was blessed in only having to get a stress test and lose 10 pounds. My stress test is July 29th. If I pass the stress test I can schedule pre op and surgery.