Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sooo scared! please help!

I work in the medical field and did extensive research in the medical literature when I deciding to get my sleeve surgery. I found peer reviewed research that shows that the complication rate with gastric bands runs at about 15% (I thought that was way too high to consider banding surgery) the complications are everything from reflux to slippage to erosion and embedding of the band in the stomach. The details were enough to warn me off the gastric band and point me toward the sleeve surgery.

In my research on the sleeve, I found that the complication rate was less than 1% and that the morbidity statistics (complications so sever that it caused death) were almost negligible. So that is why I decided on the VSG surgery.

The information on sleeve revisions is spotty because there just haven't been that many second sleeves done in settings that are being reviewed for the medical journals. I'm guessing that the nurse quoted you statistics about revision of Rouen X/Y surgery, and while it is useful information, what really matters is what your surgeon thinks about your personal situation. Do you have any other chronic health issues that make having a second surgery more complicated and risky? These issues would include bleeding disorders, lung issues, allergies to anesthesia etc (your doctor can discuss all the various contraindications).

If I were in your shoes, I would have a very serious heart to heart with my doctor and ensure that the surgery is really going to improve your situation, and that you are clear on your personal risks. I also think that anyone who isn't nervous before surgery is not in touch with themselves. I had a ton of doubts the week before surgery and even after when I was in the hospital laying there feeling like crap and wondering "what did I do to myself!" But when the anxiety wears off and you are looking at losing the weight that will make your life better, and solving other health issues, I think you will be glad that you made an informed decision about your unique situation.

Good luck to you, I hope the surgery is a really positive experience for you!

If I remember right you said you were one of your surgeons first sleeve patients.. And it was not done correctly... And now you're going to be his first resleeving patient? Maybe you should go to some one who has performed a resleeve?

Catherine, I want to thank you soooo very much, this is exactly what I have been wanting to hear....I am glad you responded to my post Its people like you that make this site so worth it...good luck on your wt loss journey~

If I remember right you said you were one of your surgeons first sleeve patients.. And it was not done correctly... And now you're going to be his first resleeving patient? Maybe you should go to some one who has performed a resleeve?

He has done revisions, I dont know how many, but the nurses said all 3 drs have done revisions and have improved their skills greatly...this is the first problem I have had in 5 yrs...Im hoping since he knows my anatomy so well and has done my band and first sleeve this will go smoothly...I guess I will put it in Gods hands and let him take over, He is the only one I have true faith in right now...

He's done many resleeves? All his own patients? I'm confused I guess :/

I didnt say many just some..he told me he has done some and the nurse on the phone said he has done some...not many because there was really no reason to do many..so whatever that means..I am waiting for his secretary to call me because I want another appt with him before my surg. so i can ask more questions..the day i went in i was in shock but now that I have had time to think about it and talk to all of you I have questions...he got married last fri and getting back from his honeymoon on monday so even if I could talk to him on the phone would be good...any ideas on what i should ask him maybe something i havent thought about?

I can't find the study that recommends 500 sleeves. Did I miss it?

Lolol. There are TONS of studies that show this. I have spent the last 4 weeks studying up on sleeves (on average 16 hours a day). Have done nothing but read research studies. I am anal that way.

Thank you Abranewme, I appreciate that...

Lolol. There are TONS of studies that show this. I have spent the last 4 weeks studying up on sleeves (on average 16 hours a day). Have done nothing but read research studies. I am anal that way.

Lucky for us cuz I wouldnt know where to start..thanks Stephanie :)

I wouldnt know how to find a MD who did 500 revisions tho...if they are doing that many then they must be really bad at origional sleeves right?

Insist that he put you on an antacid. Mine is Dexilant 60mg capsules. I open them and pour the little balls on pudding/applesauce etc. Once a day. I was given them thru the iv in the hospital as well. If there is no acid then reflux can't be horrible. Nexium is good as well.

I wouldnt know how to find a MD who did 500 revisions tho...if they are doing that many then they must be really bad at origional sleeves right?

No, there are doctors out there who fix other doctor's mistakes (not saying your doctor made a mistake). Some specialize in that.

I see you have had 3 weight loss surgeries already, and this will be your 4th? Were all done by the same surgeon?

I had the band for 2 1/2 yrs, lost 108 lbs then the band prolapsed, not a big surprise, then i had band to sleeve 3 yrs ago and have developed a neo fundus...he did say he left some fundus due to scar tissue..it has stretched and is too large now..hence the reflux..now going in to have it fixed..same surgeon excellent reputation.....dont know what else to say..

Insist that he put you on an antacid. Mine is Dexilant 60mg capsules. I open them and pour the little balls on pudding/applesauce etc. Once a day. I was given them thru the iv in the hospital as well. If there is no acid then reflux can't be horrible. Nexium is good as well.

I am on protonix, i dont have heartburn, just the reflux.. :(