Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok everyone I am TOTALLY FREAKING OUT!!!! I had surgery July 1st and I had a drain put in, my doctor just requires it.... And I have not been nervous about surgery or anything just totally freaked out about this drain, especially getting it removed! I have been in a lot of pain because of it and I am ready to get it out but I am sooooo scared of how bad the pain is going to be when they remove it tomorrow... I really don't know what to expect... Talk me down people!!! I wish I could do a 5th of Jack before removal ha ha..

Ok everyone I am TOTALLY FREAKING OUT!!!! I had surgery July 1st and I had a drain put in' date=' my doctor just requires it.... And I have not been nervous about surgery or anything just totally freaked out about this drain, especially getting it removed! I have been in a lot of pain because of it and I am ready to get it out but I am sooooo scared of how bad the pain is going to be when they remove it tomorrow... I really don't know what to expect... Talk me down people!!! I wish I could do a 5th of Jack before removal ha ha..[/quote']

I had a drain and ugh it irritated me! But removing it was ummm odd lol! It did not hurt but it was pressure then a little muscle spasm. The relief of having the drain out outweighed any discomfort removing it.

The drain was yucky and mine came out 2 days after surgery. When they pull it out take a deep breath and focus on something else. It's not horrible but it is uncomfortable. Takes 2 seconds to pull out and you will wonder why you worried so much.

I have a drain now and it is the source of intense pain when I move. It also leaks onto my clothing (which they tell me is normal). I had to use sanitary napkins just to protect my clothing (the Fluid that comes out smells just awful). I know I can't wait til they remove it on Wednesday.

When I had my gallbladder out 20 yrs ago, I had a JP drain for a week. When he took it out, it didn't hurt, but it was very strange. Akin to holding a strand of spaghetti and swallowing it then bringing it back up (yes, I've done it! Don't lie, you have too!). It's really long too so it takes a few seconds. It'll be over before you know it.

I promise, it doesn't hurt. Just feels weird...

I have a drain now and it is the source of intense pain when I move. It also leaks onto my clothing (which they tell me is normal). I had to use sanitary napkins just to protect my clothing (the Fluid that comes out smells just awful). I know I can't wait til they remove it on Wednesday.

I was told if the drainage has a bad smell that I should call the dr. I am not sure if that is normal. My drainage had no smell at all.

Well my drain is out!!! Thanks everyone, you were exactly right very weird feeling but over in seconds and all the pain I was having was gone immediately! I could even walk better sleep better it is wonderful having that thing out.

I'm learning so much more on the internet than I am from my physicians! I received instructions from the hospital on how to take care of my drain, but they weren't the entire instructions (as per the instructions I found on the internet). Nowhere in my verbal or handout instructions did it say I was allowed or required to change the dressing - just empty, alcohol wipe, bend and close. I know this is gross, but I did sniff the output before flushing it down to make that it actually wasn't the Fluid. The output didn't have a smell, so I deduced that the smell was the dressing. I walked to Walgreens and bought saline, gauze pads, and tape. Removed the film (which had been loosening due to my showers anyway), cleaned my wound, and redressed it. I feel so much better now (no smell, and the pain has decreased significantly). When any of you had it, did you get specific instructions in terms of the dressing?

I am glad you are feeling better about it and having less pain.i was given instructions and paperwork on how to do it as a part of my release from the hospital. The nurse sent me home with all the tape and gauze needed and a bottle of peroxide. Once it was removed I was told the clean it with a qtip and peroxide 2x per day and redress. It is amazing that a scare so little caused me so much pain.