Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Chicago

Hi everyone -- Recently, in a non-weight-loss context, my boss said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I've been thinking about that in relation to my 35 years of yo-yo dieting. This time I'm resolved to do something that will actually work, for real and for good. I know I can lose weight -- I've had tons of practice! -- but, as I'm sure most of you know, the trick is to keep it off, and that's where I've failed.

I have been reading about the Lap Band for a couple of years now, and finally am ready to take the plunge. I discovered your great web site a few days ago and want to thank everyone for providing a great on-line source of information and support.

I am considering the ILOST center in Mexico since I speak Spanish (and I've read positive reviews of the doc), but I have not given up on Chicago doctors yet. Anyone have experience at Northwestern U. Hospital?

Thanks.

Welcome, Zoe!!!! Wow, your boss is truly wise! And that is so applicable to the yo-yo dieting that most of us have done! Best wishes for your weight loss journey. I, too, am in hurry up and wait mode. Grrrrrr.....

Thanks for your encouragement. I just received an e-mail reply from Dr. Rumbaut's office in Mexico -- I'm going to follow up on Monday, and with luck I'll be in Bandland before long.

One of the things I've found most helpful about this forum is how forthcoming everyone is about problems with the band, especially in the first several weeks. If I hadn't discovered this site, I think my expectations would have been unrealistically high. Now I have a better idea of what I'm in for, and I think I can handle it.

Thanks again.

Hi Zoe

Grate choice on your docter. I read good things about Dr. Rumbaut and whin I have my surgery I plan to go to him. Let me know ho everything gose with him and good luck!!:):D

Ellen

You'll love Dr Rumbaut. He is a great surgeon, very nice and OH so good looking too! Bon Chance!

Thanks, everyone. I received a message from Doralisa at Dr. Rumbaut's office today. I haven't yet scheduled an appointment for the surgery, but I did check on airfares to Monterrey; luckily Mexicana has a daily direct flight from Chicago. A nagging part of me says that I should either live with being fat or else give conventional weight loss yet another try. But in my heart I know I need a little extra boost -- a crutch, perhaps -- to help my body, not to mention my mind, shed 100 unneeded pounds. I'm in my late 40s and I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, back problems, and a wonky knee -- not to mention a spare chin! So I'm going to take the plunge just after Labor Day if I can get on the surgery schedule.

Thanks again. I'll let you know when I schedule the surgery.

Zoe

Zoe, best of luck to you! You might want to look up some of the old posts where Mexican-banded patients listed the dos and don'ts of going out of the country for surgery. They also list things to bring. I think you'll be so pleasantly surprised in the upturn your health will take after some weight loss. Your RXs will decrease and you'll feel so much better. (Not counting the $$ you'll save on RXs and the side effects.) Your energy and self-esteem will increase. Like "Martha" would say, "It's a good thing."

Zoe, I had the same co-morbidities. My blood pressure was 160/95 pre-op, cholestrol 327. Now Bp is 130/78 and cholesterol is 195. Of course I wanted to lose weight and feel better, but these vital stats were my biggest concern. My dad stroked out of this life at 60 years old, and I didn't want to follow suit. Good luck to you sweetie, weigh your decision carefully. If you do go for the band you can have confidence that Dr. Rumbaut is excellent in his field and the most experienced surgeon you can find. Keep us posted.

Zoe,

Anyone with 100lbs to lose definitely needs a little help! Is there any diet that you have tried in that past that you were able to lose on and maintain the loss?

Probably not. That's why we're all here. Diets don't work. If they did, we wouldn't need the band to help us.

You are NOT wimping out with the band, you are simply fighting a very powerful battle with the tools that are available to you. As a matter of fact - you have come to a place where you've admitted drastic measures are necessary to win. Thankfully, we have a safer 'drastic' measure in the Lapband.

I don't sell bands and I don't proclaim that they are some magic pill and goodness knows they aren't perfect. but they are still by far the best method yet and they ARE working if you work with them.

I really wish you a safe and smooth transition into the land of the banded.

Leatha

Guest intant

I live in Chicago and was banded 4/21/04 by Dr Horgan at the Surgery Centre at 900 N Michigan. I would recommend him and his staff 110%. They've done 100's of procedures and Dr Horgan trains US surgeons for Inamed. You'll have cellphone and pager #'s for him, the dietician and the co-ordinator which is very re -assuring.

I never wait more than a few days for a fill appointment, and if you're a 'self pay' patient unlimited consultations and fills for a full year are included in the 'package' price.

I'm down 54lb and love my band!

Good luck!

Thanks, Intant. (And thanks to everyone else, too.) I spoke with Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey who suggested that I contact Dr. Horgan if I want to stay local. Your post is a great recommendation! I'll call Dr. H's office tomorrow.

Z

PS: Congratulations on your weight loss.