Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression and anxiety

Anyone else going through this right now and wanna chat with like minded people? Ive noticed mine coming back over the last month, and I'm thinking about getting on something. (Again). I'm a little afraid of weight gain.

The first three months after surgery I thought I was free from these things, but I know depression is common with Bariatric surgery. I think now is my time. I'm excited to feel happy and calm again.

Anyone else going through this right now and wanna chat with like minded people? Ive noticed mine coming back over the last month, and I'm thinking about getting on something. (Again). I'm a little afraid of weight gain.

The first three months after surgery I thought I was free from these things, but I know depression is common with Bariatric surgery. I think now is my time. I'm excited to feel happy and calm again.

What is it that you're feeling Amy? Is it lack or motivation, lack of energy, something else? I may not be able to help, but you have my attention.

Sadness, lack of motivation, foggy headed, I feel like I'm always half asleep.

I'm also tense all the time, my stomach is tied in knots, I often times have a headache from stress.

It's not super bad yet. I'm not laying in bed all day or having suicidal thoughts but I certainly don't want to get to that point.

Sadness' date=' lack of motivation, foggy headed, I feel like I'm always half asleep.

I'm also tense all the time, my stomach is tied in knots, I often times have a headache from stress.

It's not super bad yet. I'm not laying in bed all day or having suicidal thoughts but I certainly don't want to get to that point.[/quote']

I can relate. I've started taking Zoloft again a little over a week ago. I hate to do it too as I am so against the "take a pill" mentality that is so prevalent.

My issue is mostly anxiety. I find myself sleepy headed and frustrated too.

Sadness, lack of motivation, foggy headed, I feel like I'm always half asleep.

It's not super bad yet. I'm not laying in bed all day or having suicidal thoughts but I certainly don't want to get to that point.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I'm going to share this. Even before I started this journey, I dealt with lack of energy and motivation. My doctor found I had low T and started treating me and it helped a little. Still wasn't enough. The beginning of this year, I decided to go the WLS route. I started exercising in February and that helped a little too. Still not enough. Had the surgery in May and was all fired up but I noticed it started wearing away. Today I took the day off as part of the holiday and it was all I could do to get out of bed before 1pm. I don't feel sad about anything in particular, just have no motivation to do anything and I feel frustrated because I feel like I'm just lazy and I can't snap out of it.

Is this depression? Should I see someone?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot' date=' I'm going to share this. Even before I started this journey, I dealt with lack of energy and motivation. My doctor found I had low T and started treating me and it helped a little. Still wasn't enough. The beginning of this year, I decided to go the WLS route. I started exercising in February and that helped a little too. Still not enough. Had the surgery in May and was all fired up but I noticed it started wearing away. Today I took the day off as part of the holiday and it was all I could do to get out of bed before 1pm. I don't feel sad about anything in particular, just have no motivation to do anything and I feel frustrated because I feel like I'm just lazy and I can't snap out of it.

Is this depression? Should I see someone?[/quote']

You don't sound like an idiot at all.

I know that depression can manifest itself as a complete lack of motivation. It could also be due to your caloric deficit.

Yes, I'd see someone. I'd start with my PCP and go from there.

Some of the depression we all feel could be related to lower caloric intake or low blood sugar or Vitamin deficiencies. But more likely and what I personally feel causes mine when I get that way is just from putting so much thought and work into everything we need to lose the weight and not getting to focus on any positive aspects enough. I do find that working out at the gym and getting the endorphin rush helps for a little bit, but sometimes I just need to stop and look in the mirror at what I've accomplished so far and enjoy the success without thinking of what I have to do next. Anyhow everyone Good Luck and try to think of at least one thing to smile about every hour.

Depression & anxiety suck Big Time! I had it years ago.....I'm always afraid it will rear it's ugly head!

HUGS to you all!

I was sleeved a week ago exactly and I've dealt with anxiety since I was in high school...also a little bit of depression, mostly anxiety though. I've noticed that after surgery I've been very anxious in public places, afraid people will bump me or run into me and hurt my incisions. Also I've felt very anxious and worried over getting my fluids and Proteins in...I'm having a lot of trouble.

I'm also dealing with just...constant emotions that I wasn't expecting. For example, I have a smart phone with the dominos app that I can use to order right off my phone...well the other day my mom asked me to order a pizza for her...and I got so irrationally mad at her! Lol...I know it's stupid to be mad that she can eat pizza when I can't...but I was totally pissed. Luckily, I was able to go into my room and fume quietly without her ever knowing...it's just hard because I feel like my emotions aren't my own!

Apologies for the unintentional hijack of your thread Amy. Also bumping for visibility.

Hang in there. It will get better. I'm almost one month post op and I feel sad and blue too. And lack of energy, YES of course. But I have to remember that I was blessed with an amazing gift to life again with this new me. And everyday is a present and I have to remember to open it and live it up. For life is too precious to let it pass me by. Maybe you should seek professional help and they can help you too. Or join a support group.

Chin up buttercup :)

BTTT

BTTT

???

Hey Amy I know you and I talked behind the scenes already but I wanted to tell others that a lot of us suffer from depression it really isn't affected by my being smaller or larger it is just part of me..

I do take an antidepressant and have for years I've also tried to stop them more than once but always fell (slowly) back into a depressive state.

Don yes my depression usually makes me feel so tired that even taking a shower I would be exhausted afterwards.. I used to say to my therapist "Are you sure I'm just not lazy?"

It's a good idea to at least talk to the doctor about these things. Good luck everyone :)

???

BTTT means "Bump to the top" - I posted it so that Amy's thread would get pushed to the top of the Recent Topics list.

Don yes my depression usually makes me feel so tired that even taking a shower I would be exhausted afterwards.. I used to say to my therapist "Are you sure I'm just not lazy?"

Thank you for posting this Laura-ven!