Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone fasting for Ramadan here?

I have not converted to Islam as of yet though I am leaning toward it. It is a decision that I do not take lightly. My husband is Muslim and is fasting and I support him 100% but after learning the reasons Allah asks us to fast, I am called to the challenge. That being said, I am 3 years out and fasted yesterday. The food part was rather easy except for around 6 when my husband started making dinner. I had to leave the house because the smell made my stomach hurt from hunger. Now the Fluid intake, that is really really hard. Even when not fasting, I still struggle getting enough in. 16 hours in a day in 102 of Texas heat is tough. I think about those who do not have easy access to food and drink and how hard their lives must be and use that to motivate my mind. My biggest concern is my job. I work 3 days a week in a hot building doing very physically demanding work and I don't know if I can do it and refrain from fluid without making myself sick. I am leaning toward choosing not to fast on those days and either making it up later or feeding someone for those days. I would love to hear what others thing on this.

Hello Zephra, God bless you for supporting your husband and for working on the decision to become a Muslim.

If you were NOT sleeved, I would say fasting is a duty on all healthy Muslim regardless of what season and what temperature. Believe me I know hottttt :-) - I live in Vegas and being outside in 120 heat while fasting is a serious matter. But than I remember the prophet (PBUH) used to go to war while fasting in the Arabian desert - or I think about the young children in Africa with no access to Water or food and that would push me to get through the day.

However, you are sleeved. You already stand at a high risk of dehydration without even fasting. I also have trouble with getting all my Water and Protein.

I think you should check with your Dr first. Should he approve your fasting, take it one day at a time and one hour at a time. Listen to your body. If you feel that you're pushing the limits please break the fast. Remember "On no soul does God place a burden greater than it can bear."

If this is your first year fasting, expect it to be a little harder at first, with time the fasting gets easier mentally and physically. But the rewards outweighs the struggles.

I hope this helps! Wishing you and your loved ones a blessed Ramadan.

We have been married for 20 years so this isn't my first time experiencing Ramadan and I have fasted a day here and a day there in the past but this is the first year I have wanted to. I believe that God gives us all challenges to help us grow in this life and that food is the biggest one he gave me. I guess that is why I feel more called to fast this year.

I have decides that I will not fast on the days that I have to work. I become dehydrated on those days anyway so I know fasting and then lifting and stocking 120 plus boxes will be dangerous.

Yesterday was hard. After breaking fast the night before, i found my stomach had shrunk drastically and I was only able to eat about 1/2 cup of food. I was only able to get down about 20oz of liquid too and that was after waking several times in the night to drink. So that was all I had to go on all day yesterday. I didn't want to fast from the moment I woke and had to constantly remind myself that I could do it. Staying busy helps a lot. I was able to get down 45 oz last night and had a half of chicken thigh, some rice, and an egg for Breakfast. I feel stronger today.

Blessings to you and your family.

Sorry if the words are small. Typing from my phone.

I'm fasting this year and even though I haven't had my surgery yet I still had to make adjustments for the season. I'm a new diabetic, but after having a talk with my doctor he said I can fast as long as my sugar doesn't fall below 90.

I'm also take medications that MUST be taken at 12hr intervals so needless to say I ingest just enough Water to get the pills down. I'm holding on to feeding someone each day, God knows there's enough people out here that needs it.

As for your Protein, I found some predigested Protein that I'm about to try. It's only 1oz that gives you 18grams of protein. It's from www.dietdirect.com

If you put yourself on a 'sipping' schedule from dusk til dawn you should be able to get all your Water in during the night. Insha Allah.

The best to you on your journey.

Ramadan Mubarak!!

Yes. I am doing the sipping schedule. It still is hard. I don't get a chance to sleep during the day and am getting small naps during the night so that I can try and get my liquids in. 40 oz last night was good for me. I don't think I could put anymore in. I ended up with a hurting stomach because it was so full. I think tonight, instead of eating solid foods, I may do a Protein shake with some extra flax for Fiber.

I was called into work today so it will really be a challenge for me. I planned to not fast on working days but since I was already fasting today, I will keep on. I just told them to not expect too much from me today.

I am not fasting, my surgery was in November. I want to be at or below goal before fasting, I feel I am still healing. to each his own.

I am 16 weeks out and I am not fasting this year, it is summer and I don' t want to risk dehydration. Next summer if God willing, I really want to fast. My family is ok with my decision, my health comes first.

Ramadan Kareem to Everyone fasting or not !

Asalaamu alaikum from Texas! I am 2 months post opt and decided not to fast. My doctor, Muslim, agreed with my decision. I have a hard time drinking and eating as it is. My son is fasting though and I find myself eating nothing until 7 pm anyways. I wish I could just fast from food and not Water :-(

Is there a Muslim group on here? I saw a Middle Eastern group but I'm hispanic :-/

Ramadan Kareem!!!

I have not converted to Islam as of yet though I am leaning toward it. It is a decision that I do not take lightly. My husband is Muslim and is fasting and I support him 100% but after learning the reasons Allah asks us to fast' date=' I am called to the challenge. That being said, I am 3 years out and fasted yesterday. The food part was rather easy except for around 6 when my husband started making dinner. I had to leave the house because the smell made my stomach hurt from hunger. Now the Fluid intake, that is really really hard. Even when not fasting, I still struggle getting enough in. 16 hours in a day in 102 of Texas heat is tough. I think about those who do not have easy access to food and drink and how hard their lives must be and use that to motivate my mind. My biggest concern is my job. I work 3 days a week in a hot building doing very physically demanding work and I don't know if I can do it and refrain from Fluid without making myself sick. I am leaning toward choosing not to fast on those days and either making it up later or feeding someone for those days. I would love to hear what others thing on this.[/quote']

@Zephra What part of Texas are you from? I'm in Houston.

I am not Muslim but I love to learn about other cultures and would like to know about the reasons behind fasting. I love the idea of having the option to feed others as I do a lot of volunteer work at a women's shelter.

Do you pick an underprivileged person or family to feed?

I am fasting Al-Hamdulillah, I am almost 4 months post op and have been fasting very easily. I am a nursing mom (of a 9 month old, almost 10 months) and nurse her through out the day with no issues. I started fasting about a month after the surgery with my hubby who fasts often. The first few times were hard simply because I hadn't done it with my new tummy before but now it's actually far easier this year than it's ever been Al-hamdulillah ma shaa Allah ^_^ I think the smaller tummy helps. I also make a very hydrating green smoothie each night consisting of 2 oranges, 1 banana and either green leafy veggie (kale, broccoli, greens) or my Protein shake (Lean Body vanilla ice cream).

I always break my fast with dates, a sip of Water and a cup of coffee. I also noticed that whenever I hit a "stall" if I fast for a couple of days it breaks it easily Al-hamdulillah. I am down almost 70 pounds and doing great!

Ramadan Kareem!! :)^_^:lol:

I had a hard time. I tried very hard but within the first few days, lost 5 pounds. Being at goal weight already, that is a lot to lose. That sounds good but I think it was because I was severely dehydrated. Try as hard as I might, I could not get enough liquid down. I tried staying up all night for the first few days but could only manage about 1 to 2 cups of Water or other liquids. I was only getting in about 400 to 600 calories in each night too. I had the shakes and sweat terribly at work. 2 nights ago my husband asked me to stop. He could see that I was making myself sick. He was very alarmed when I didn't want to eat when it was time to break fast. I had to force myself and even then, I was only able to eat a few bites at most. Good news is that my stomach snapped back to my just post surgery size from 3 years ago. Bad news is that I need more than 600 calories to be able to function at my physically demanding job now and the 16 oz of liquid is not enough either. My plan now is to hold off on fasting until the shorter winter days and try again. For those who are able to do it, my hats off to you. For now, I hope Allah understands my hardship and will accept my later fastings.

Hello everyone!

Happy Ramadan! Well, for all of you who are managing to fast (and you Miaa, maashallah!), mabrook!!!! I envy you. I tried the first day, and threw up from dehydration (no Water in my throat at all), so...I tried again the next day, and the same thing happened. So now.... I am not fasting. I am really mad at myself, but I guess I'm just not ready to yet. I've had a tough go with this new sleeve - every day, it's a new challenge.... I too, hope Allah understands what I'm going through and will accept my later fastings.

A very Happy Ramadan to all of you!!!! Thank you for all of your support - here in the middle east, there is very little support to be found.

Ramadan Kareem sis Aisha, of course Allah understands! He knows better than you know what you are going through and the most beautiful part of it is that He is so merciful and so forgiving that for you fasting is not an obligation or an option if it is too hard on your body. Al-hamdulillah that you tried.

Where in the middle east are you??