Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone feel that we just over think things? We all have instructions from our individual surgeons and program that we've been given to follow as different as they all are.

Do you think that maybe listening to other people's fears and doubts gets in the way? As it was explained to me pre op the only difference is that our stomach is smaller and we have to relearn how to treat it. I guess what I mean is that just just because one person has a good/bad experience doesn't mean you will too. I know that personally I let some of the things I've read on here quite nearly cause me to cancel my surgery at the last minute. But I went ahead and did it. That was nearly 3 weeks ago and while I really wish I didn't have to make this journey after 40 years of fighting this battle and not getting anywhere, I did not feel I had a choice. My sleeve is a bit bigger than some. Done with a 38 bougie and only 80% of the stomach removed. My doctor has done wls exclusively for 12 years and finds that in his patients that it caused fewer complications and better quality of life. Since I started soft foods at 2 weeks I definitely have good restriction and nothing I've tried has given me any problems no throwing up, no nausea. I have had ravioli and corned beef hash (they told me as long as it could be mashed with a fork I could try it.) I know some people have issues but I don't really understand why a food you have eaten all your life would suddenly make you sick-provided that you chew well and don't eat too fast. Too fast is my problem. Have always been a very fast eater.

Anyway, I know that this is long and rambling but I was just wondering if anyone that had similar thoughts.

I totally agree with you... Couldn't have sd it any better!!!

I never had second thoughts. I read a notice about a bariatric surgery orientation class, attended and never looked back. Fortunately for me, my surgery and recovery were uneventful and I began living a normal life within a week of surgery and was allowed normal food after one month. I think few have bad experiences, but they need support and so they post here. Good for them. I wouldn't have let that keep me from having the surgery, however, because, according to my doctors, the dangers from being grossly overweight are greater than the dangers from the surgery. So, yes, I definitely agree with you.

I don't agree. The warnings and experiences of others have helped me shape my behavior for success. I am sure I avoided an ER visit of dehydration, since I did not want to intake anything after surgery. But others gave warnings to drink a lot of fluids and keep Protein going. I also saw question pre op that I went in to my doc and asked but did not think to ask them otherwise. The info of what to eat and portions is great for me. I also don't have a nutritionist that spends "quality" time on me. She drops some info. and I find there is a lot of gaps I have to fill in myself. I find that we all need help in so many ways, if only to validate ourselves and though it may be repetitive to some after long exposure on this site, it is new to many daily that are trying to make a huge informed decision.

I think the full reality of what happens with the sleeve post op is much more valuable than anything the surgeon has told me. After all, he doesn't have one himself! Its like taking diet tips from Roseanne Barr- who would want to do that right? If something scares you ask more questions. Our minds like to fill in the blanks when there are knowledge gaps.

I don't agree. The warnings and experiences of others have helped me shape my behavior for success. I am sure I avoided an ER visit of dehydration, since I did not want to intake anything after surgery. But others gave warnings to drink a lot of fluids and keep Protein going. I also saw question pre op that I went in to my doc and asked but did not think to ask them otherwise. The info of what to eat and portions is great for me. I also don't have a nutritionist that spends "quality" time on me. She drops some info. and I find there is a lot of gaps I have to fill in myself. I find that we all need help in so many ways, if only to validate ourselves and though it may be repetitive to some after long exposure on this site, it is new to many daily that are trying to make a huge informed decision.

I don't think either of us was saying the information here wasn't helpful. I was saying that the negative experiences of others didn't paralyze me or give me second thoughts in deciding to have the surgery.

Does anyone feel that we just over think things? We all have instructions from our individual surgeons and program that we've been given to follow as different as they all are.

Do you think that maybe listening to other people's fears and doubts gets in the way? As it was explained to me pre op the only difference is that our stomach is smaller and we have to relearn how to treat it. I guess what I mean is that just just because one person has a good/bad experience doesn't mean you will too. I know that personally I let some of the things I've read on here quite nearly cause me to cancel my surgery at the last minute. But I went ahead and did it. That was nearly 3 weeks ago and while I really wish I didn't have to make this journey after 40 years of fighting this battle and not getting anywhere, I did not feel I had a choice. My sleeve is a bit bigger than some. Done with a 38 bougie and only 80% of the stomach removed. My doctor has done wls exclusively for 12 years and finds that in his patients that it caused fewer complications and better quality of life. Since I started soft foods at 2 weeks I definitely have good restriction and nothing I've tried has given me any problems no throwing up, no nausea. I have had ravioli and corned beef hash (they told me as long as it could be mashed with a fork I could try it.) I know some people have issues but I don't really understand why a food you have eaten all your life would suddenly make you sick-provided that you chew well and don't eat too fast. Too fast is my problem. Have always been a very fast eater.

Anyway, I know that this is long and rambling but I was just wondering if anyone that had similar thoughts.

So first you lament the fact that people on this forum post their experiences, then share your own?

Try and think of it this way: How much time do you spend with your surgeon pre- and post-op? With your nutritionist? Do little issues or questions ever arise when you are going about your week and don't have an upcoming appointment? Maybe you don't but plenty of people do. There is no harm in giving and getting information or listening to other peoples' experiences, it's all about how you use that information. Some people come through surgery and recovery no problem. Others have varying degrees of difficulty. Primarily this is a support forum. If you are satisfied with the support you get from your surgeon's office and see no need to be supportive of others, why bother to come on this site?

FYI - I have a science background, not a physician but I understand biology and physiology. I don't know who advised you that the only difference between pre- and post-op is your stomach is smaller. It's not that simple. Other than size the biggest difference is the level of hormones produced in your stomach. Decreased hormone production both leaves you less hungry but can also change tolerance of some foods. This is why bariatric patients can get dumping syndrome.

My bottom line: Every patient is different. Everyone heals differently. Just because some people have bad experiences doesn't mean this surgery isn't important if you are unable to lose the weight on your own. Most sleeve complications pale in comparison to the slow, painful death of heart disease or diabetes.