Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chest pain? Or Lungs?

I'm experiencing such a sore chest/lungs !

Sometimes I feel like I can't catch my breath, especially when I've been sitting up or walking and then go lie down....gosh, it's almost like I've been 'winded'.

The pain was awful throughout the night that it was actually throbbing through to by upper back. ( I know it's not gas pains), I've been really good in sipping drinks SLOWLY and doing my breathing exercises.

Has anybody else experienced this.....and what is it.....and what did you do to ease the pain.....how long does this last....?

Thanks for your input!

How far out are u? I agree w pretty and would see a dr.

I would go to the ER. prettylittleheart is right. Its better to be safe because of your symptoms.

Chest pain was my one and only leak symptom. Call your doc ASAP or run to the ER PLEASE. Run, don't walk. It could be something small but waiting isn't worth the risk of waiting (one month in the hospital as opposed to an ER bill). Hope it's nothing big. Keep up posted.

Thanks guys,

I m 6 days out, and had this pain from day 1, I did have a leak test AND swallow test the morning after my op and everything was ok according to my surgeon.

I had similar pain after surgery! The pain was worse when I inhaled. It was because I didn't do my breathing exercises enough - have to do it every hour.

But there could also be a chance of a blood cloth - so please call your dr or go into the ER room to get check - better safe than sorry.

It could be as little as dehydration - I know it probably seems as though you are drinking a lot but I was in the ER in the beginning for dehydration with a heart rate of 190, chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, weakness, extreme fatigue - not fun.

As far a leak tests go - swelling tends to go down as days go by. The day after the surgery - you are extremely swollen. ( still not trying to alarm you) if you do decide to go - they may have an opportunity to catch something they hadn't before.

Just another valid point - chest pain, lung pain, or shortness of breath is never really a normal symptom under any circumstance especially after major surgery.

Please let us know what was it. I it's nothing major. Feel better soon!!

I hope you are OK. I used to think I was having chest pains and heart problems (off and on for several years before surgery). It turns out it was acid.

Hope you get an "all good" report at ER.

My upper back/left shoulder pain was gas pains. Was so glad when it dissapated.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, but I'm still in hospital and only had access to the site tonight!!

So after I called my surgeon on Sunday afternoon, he basically cut me off and demanded I get to the hospital ASAP. He arrived as I did (I sh"t myself). He organised a CT Scan, ECG, Blood test etc....immediately. He basically said what you guys said - that it could be a leak or a blood clot. BUT, I didn't have a temperature and other 'leak' symptoms, but he wasn't taking any chances.

It turned out that I did have air bubbles trapped in my diaphragm and pushing up my chest AND I had a fair bit of inflammation.

I was on the drip since Sunday night, nil orally until today and antibiotics through the UV since Sunday.

Today, I'm on tablet form antibiotics, liquid diet and am scheduled for another CT Scan in the morning.

If the scan comes though better/ok, he might send me home WITH the antibiotics......I'm crossing my fingers because I actually feel 80%better, and at least I can cough, sneeze, yawn, AND fill my lungs with air!!!!

(I'm not an asthmatic, but I felt I was having an asthma attack AND had a really really bad chest infection - that's why I kept ruling out that it wasn't gas pain. I've had gas pain and this was nothing like it - For those of you wondering 'What kind of pain I was talking about in the first place)

I take my hat off to my surgeon, he doesn't take any risks and genuinely CARES about his patients.

Will keep you posted after my scan tomorrow.

Thanks for your support guys, and those of you reading this and considering this surgery.....don't be alarmed, I consider this a good thing because its nothing major and easily treatable.

; )

Glad you called your dr and that you are recovering! :-)