Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating and traveling-I am stressed

I have a job which requires pretty extensive international travel, which partly contributed to my weight gain over the past 3 years (gained 40 pounds). Eating out on an expense account 3 meals a day for 15-17 days straight in countries where there is no such thing as skim milk or even artificial sweeteners on the table is challenging to say the least. Ths year alone, I was in Russia, Poland, Turkey and Indonesia (all pre-op) and am heading to Spain at the end of July, followed by the UK in september and France and Turkey again in October and possibly Greece or Malta in December!

Now I am 4 weeks out, feeling good and obsessively tracking every calorie I eat which is way more managble with every meal prepared by me. I am stressed about eating out while traveling and I don't have that small of a capacity albeit much smaller than pre-op but I don't get full that easy (6-8 ounces of food is no problem). I do plan to pack Protein Shakes and maybe some Protein Bars. I want to at least replace Breakfast and lunch and only eat dinner out.

I should also mention I am a big foodie loving to experience fine dining and wine and always adored finding the most amazing restaurants when I travel and trying foods I have never had before.

For anyone who travels abroad, how do you manage?

Any other suggestions on food to pack?

I wish I could offer some advice but instead I plan to take any advice you get on here and lock it in the vault! My surgery isn't until July 29th but I also travel a lot for work and have the same questions and concerns as you.

But....how great is it going to be to fit comfortably in an airplane seat???? :)

Luckily I opted for surgery while still at size 16 creeping to 18 but I was so depressed watching the extra length of seatbelt dwindling away!

I just need to think of good non perishables to pack which don't require any perpetration. I will grab some Protein bars but those generally seem high calorie and are small and won't fill me much or for long.

I keep the single serving size of Jif Peanut Butter in my desk at work...I have eaten it in place of a meal before, and it is very satisfying and protein-rich...maybe those snack-size packs of nuts, like almonds

First off I am very envious of your job! I love traveling, Just focus on getting lean Protein stick to seafood and away from carbs. You can still be a foodie I ma a foodie and lose the weight. The best thing is your new little tummy wont let you over eat!! Cheers.. I worry about the Uk but all the other countries I don't think you will have an issue at all.

Hi, Wow thats some impressive lineup and I wouldnt mind being you till December minus all the jetlag. My friend , I think you answered your own question before by bringing Protein Shakes and bars to substitute for those rich breakfasts and lunches and even though your a foodie, keep it clean as clean as you can for dinner. stick with Proteins veggies and fruits for dinner . What else can you bring that wont go bad besides the pb? Oh and btw good luck in Paris the food there is oh so good. lol

Be careful with the wine intake until you see how it affects you. With your smaller stomach, you will get drunk MUCH faster than before! (My doc recommends 6 months post-op before having alcohol!)

Wow! As others have said, I'm envious of all your travels!!

I'm a teacher and they don't let us travel for work much ;)

I agree that RTD Protein Shakes are probably your best bet. Stick with lean Protein, seafood and green vegetables. Yogurt and fruit for breakfast. Lots and lots of water! You might buy some Ostrum Jerky, it's higher in protein than regular beef jerky. Good luck!

Quest Protein bars are the best! They have 20grams of protein and lots of Fiber, low in net carbs. Would be great to pack.

Thanks everyone! I ordered Quest bars today and kashi is a good idea or maybe the high Fiber instant oatmeal (although I haven't checked the label on it) fruit in the morning should be doable at the hotel. I may bring some powdered coffee Creamer but I don't want to weigh down my luggage too much considering I need to pack 2 weeks of clothes too!

I love travel but I have a 4 year old daughter so it's really ard on her and my husband. I am an auditor for one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world and go all over to our various manufacturing and commercial operation sites basically to evaluate their process both operationally and for compliance with corporate policies. It's not the "sexiest" job but I enjoy it. I love meeting new people, experiencing different cultures, etc. and traveling first class isn't too shabby ;0)

I used to come back from a 16 day trip at least a real 3-5 pounds heavier...now multiply the number of trips I do and you will see why my weight quickly crept up!

The small boxes of Kashi Cereal also have 10G Protein and that would be easy for Breakfast or oatmeal. lunch is harder to travel with, but if your out grilled chicken or fish has tons of Protein. I'm like you I can eat 6-8 oz also.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Glad to hear I am not the only one who fills up after 3 bites. It seems lots of people have minuscule capacity.

Be careful with the wine intake until you see how it affects you. With your smaller stomach, you will get drunk MUCH faster than before! (My doc recommends 6 months post-op before having alcohol!)

My doctor cleared me at 6 weeks for alcohol and spicy food and caffeine (although I must admit I started 1 cup of coffee at 4 weeks) I will only order a glass of wine to see how I handle it and I usually have a driver or take taxis so driving at least isn't an issue.

Hi, Wow thats some impressive lineup and I wouldnt mind being you till December minus all the jetlag. My friend , I think you answered your own question before by bringing Protein shakes and bars to substitute for those rich breakfasts and lunches and even though your a foodie, keep it clean as clean as you can for dinner. stick with Proteins veggies and fruits for dinner . What else can you bring that wont go bad besides the pb? Oh and btw good luck in Paris the food there is oh so good. lol

Yes! Jet lag is a KILLER but I usually bring melatonin or Tylenol PM to help adjust me. What sucks more is I am salaried employee and my boss doesn't give us compensation time off for all the weekends I give up, which are my family time! For example, to go to India or Indonesia, I have to leave on a Friday to arrive there by Saturday night or Sunday morning, then I am there 2 weeks and fly home on a Saturday getting back Sunday so on many trips, I give up 3 full weekends! Not to mention flying for 25 hours is no picnic.

Before I could eat enough Protein to meet my goals the powdered Protein for travel because it is light and easy. I bring a shaker cup. My fav combination is Starbucks Instant Decaf coffee and GNC Gold Standard whey in French vanilla Creme.

Beef jerkey, Special K whole grain crackers, and foil pack tuna all pack well. I also bring Splenda if I think it won't be available because it's my fav sweetener. If you will have a microwave available, quick cooking oatmeal is good too.

I pack everything in baggies and it doesn't take much room.

Lynda