Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating and traveling-I am stressed

Here's a thought..... if you must eat in a restaurant, order an appetizer sampler and just take one bite of each. It will give you a taste of several different things, and you won't go overboard. I'm still pre-op, but thinking ahead of things I will do after the surgery.

Before I could eat enough Protein to meet my goals the powdered Protein for travel because it is light and easy. I bring a shaker cup. My fav combination is Starbucks Instant Decaf coffee and GNC Gold Standard whey in French vanilla Creme.

Beef jerkey, Special K whole grain crackers, and foil pack tuna all pack well. I also bring Splenda if I think it won't be available because it's my fav sweetener. If you will have a microwave available, quick cooking oatmeal is good too.

I pack everything in baggies and it doesn't take much room.

Lynda

Those are some great suggestions. Just won't have access to a microwave usually they are not available internationally.

So do you mix the coffee with Water? Do you do it hot or cold? That sounds like it could 2 dilemmas I have which is that I love a cup of coffee in the morning but don't really want to use cream.

I always travel with Splenda too!

Here's a thought..... if you must eat in a restaurant, order an appetizer sampler and just take one bite of each. It will give you a taste of several different things, and you won't go overboard. I'm still pre-op, but thinking ahead of things I will do after the surgery.

I will definitely like small tasting plates if available. Otherwise, I will try to stick to nice proteins- in Poland I had the most phenomenal goose, and amazing duck and lamb in Malta and Ireland! I plan to skip dessert which was a killer for me often indulging in some unique decadent dessert!

Those are some great suggestions. Just won't have access to a microwave usually they are not available internationally.

So do you mix the coffee with Water? Do you do it hot or cold? That sounds like it could 2 dilemmas I have which is that I love a cup of coffee in the morning but don't really want to use cream.

I always travel with Splenda too!

Hi, I think I've answered your question, but just want to reply here to so it's in the thread if others want to know.

Generally, I use cold Water, the instant starbucks Decaf, and the Protein powder then shake it all together in the shaker cup. You can also use hot tap water, but not hot enough to clump the Protein. (think it has to be be less than 120 degrees.) If you have coffee available, you can use premade coffee. Just let it cool enough to not clump the protein before shaking it up. .

Getting close to my first trip post op and getting together my rations! Kashi, Protein bars and Protein drinks and oatmeal packs. Will get fresh fruit in the hotel. Just leaves 1 meal a day out hopefully. I have never been to Madrid so I am hoping I have ample healthy options available.

I just do so much better from home than when I travel (pre-surgery) so still stressing...

Getting close to my first trip post op and getting together my rations! Kashi, Protein bars and Protein drinks and oatmeal packs. Will get fresh fruit in the hotel. Just leaves 1 meal a day out hopefully. I have never been to Madrid so I am hoping I have ample healthy options available.

I just do so much better from home than when I travel (pre-surgery) so still stressing...

There is some really great food to be had in Madrid, for sure. Your best bet will likely be tapas plates - most places have a nice variety of options. Do try and have a taste of the various styles of ham that are available - that's one of the things that are typically available as an appetizer or tapas plate everywhere, and the high end varieties are amazing. I think you should be able to find some decent options from a health perspective, as well, but you'll be oh-so-tempted...

Enjoy! I was in Spain for 3 weeks a year ago and it was a great trip!