Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told in the beginning not to sip from a straw since it can cause excess gas. Does anyone use straws and do you notice that problem?

I was told the same thing, but have drank through one (didn't mean to, forgot) and didn't notice a difference.

I find I take smaller sips with a straw, don't use one all the time, I used the one that came with the jug from the hospital, and noticed no difference.

This is a huge debate on here...just a warning :).

Personally, I'm 3 weeks post-op and have been using them. I went slow at first before I knew how they'd effect me, but I love my McDonald's unsweet iced tea with my straw!

::disclaimer:: I'm no doctor, but to me, as long as you are still taking small sips rather than trying to chug or gulp with the straw, I don't see how you would swallow more air than a regular swallow without the straw.

I don't remember the thread atm (my brane is Swiss cheesed from trying to prep for surgery on Monday) but there was a post about how you swallow much less air--straw or no straw--if you breathe out through your nose before you swallow the liquid. Hold the sip in your mouth, breathe out through your nose, then swallow. You'll notice the sound of the liquid going down your throat is much quieter--less air!

I've tried it out pre-op and it works; I'm guessing it will still work if you do the breathe-out maneuver with a straw.

That being said--ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR DOC'S PRESCRIBED RULES. yahoo_batting.gif

Thanks everyone! It seems like the general consensus is most docs say no....but most do it anyway and don't have a problem. I can live with that lol (aren't we all such rebels ;) )

I am 8 months out, and drink from straws all the time. At first I didn't, and was very cautious, another thing about straws is often it is difficult to know how much/fast you are drinking as the suck and swallow action doesn't allow you to hold an amount in your mouth to guage how much exactly you are taking in. This can cause discomfort if you drink too much too fast (which I have experienced), so when/if you start back with straws, just be mindful.

^^^My NUT had that warning as well. As long as I'm aware of how big my sip is, the straw hasn't bothered me at all!

They have me straws after surgery and I've been using them ever since without any problem. I confirmed at my 1 month appt and they said it was fine.

One thing we all have learned is that no two sleeves are a like. What works for you may not work for me and vice versus. I had my surgery May 8 and didn't have any complications or pain. I stayed two nights in the hospital and was feeling awesome. Prior to my surgery I had invested in several of the pretty plastic cups with straws. Day four post op and I was in the most unbearable pain ever. The pain was so bad that my husband called the after hours number for the doctor.

Based on my symptoms they called me in some meds for muscle spasms. The meds worked fine. I woke up the next day feeling back to normal til the pains started again. Since the dr office was open they asked me to come in. They had me take some X-rays to check things out and everything was fine. The dr grilled me on everything I was drinking and asked what had I changed since leaving the hospital.

I told him about my cup and drinking from a straw. He told me to stay away from them as they are more than likely allowing excessive air in my stomach and causing the contraction like pain. To this day I will not drink anything with a straw.

Just my experience..