Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

panniculectomy anyone?

Hi all! Of course this is for post ops...but has anyone had there stomach flap, from weightloss, removed? The panniculectomy? Ik that my ins. will pay for it but doc says only if they find it medically necessary, so to make sure nd have documents saying that it caused skin issues or whatever. Just wondering, if u had it, how r u and how is the healing nd scarring? Thx, Dee Dee

I'm only 8 wks post op, but I know i'm gonna have to deal with this, so I've done my research! I've also worked in insurance for 10+ years doing the reviews for these exact surgeries, so here's what i can share:

panniculectomy is different from a Tummy Tuck because they don't tighten your abdominal muscles. They simply cut away the flap of skin and sew you back up. Now, it's a big incision, obviously, and it's uncomfortable to heal from. You might have difficulty standing straight up and cleaning yourself in the bathroom for a week or more. (longer if you actually get a tummy tuck because of how tight your abs are!)

Insurance varies, so check with your carrier - not all insurances require that you've had skin rashes to get this covered. Your surgeon could take pictures and measure how long the flap hangs. If the skin hangs lower than your pubic bone, you can probably get it covered. Also, some carriers will pay for it if they approved your weight loss surgery because this could be considered a residual of the WLS.

Long story short, it doesn't sound like a very pleasant experience, but it's something I plan on having to do eventually as well. I'm still focusing on getting anywhere close to goal, so it's a long way off for me. Hopefully, I can afford to pay for the tummy tuck portion myself so I can get the very best result! :)

Good luck to you!

Do cyst count? Also stuff like yeast rash?

Do cyst count? Also stuff like yeast rash?

yes! any time you get that, try to get to your MD so they can document it! Even if you just call your doc and ask for rx cream (assuming he's seen you for it before), that call will be documented in your chart also - all of which is just what an insurance company wants to see before approving the surgery!

yes! any time you get that, try to get to your MD so they can document it! Even if you just call your doc and ask for rx cream (assuming he's seen you for it before), that call will be documented in your chart also - all of which is just what an insurance company wants to see before approving the surgery!

will it help if I take pictures with a camera with a date and time? I get bad cysts now but I assume it will be worse with longer and more flappy skin. Thank you for your information!

I'm only 8 wks post op' date=' but I know i'm gonna have to deal with this, so I've done my research! I've also worked in insurance for 10+ years doing the reviews for these exact surgeries, so here's what i can share:

panniculectomy is different from a Tummy Tuck because they don't tighten your abdominal muscles. They simply cut away the flap of skin and sew you back up. Now, it's a big incision, obviously, and it's uncomfortable to heal from. You might have difficulty standing straight up and cleaning yourself in the bathroom for a week or more. (longer if you actually get a tummy tuck because of how tight your abs are!)

Insurance varies, so check with your carrier - not all insurances require that you've had skin rashes to get this covered. Your surgeon could take pictures and measure how long the flap hangs. If the skin hangs lower than your pubic bone, you can probably get it covered. Also, some carriers will pay for it if they approved your weight loss surgery because this could be considered a residual of the WLS.

Long story short, it doesn't sound like a very pleasant experience, but it's something I plan on having to do eventually as well. I'm still focusing on getting anywhere close to goal, so it's a long way off for me. Hopefully, I can afford to pay for the tummy tuck portion myself so I can get the very best result! :)

Good luck to you![/quote']

Agree, I've done my hw about it all bc I too will b 1 to have it n my future, although my doc said, " he doubts that I will need it". Anywhooo:)

will it help if I take pictures with a camera with a date and time? I get bad cysts now but I assume it will be worse with longer and more flappy skin. Thank you for your information!

It will have to be part of your medical record, I don't know how likely the insurance would be to accept a pic from you, but if your MD will put it in your chart, then it will help!

Going in on Tuesday, July 2nd so I'll let ya know how it goes! Insurance is paying for abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and I'm paying for inner thigh lift. Probably staying overnight and will be home Wednesday sometime! Will post as soon as I'm concious enough to do that! :);)

Going in on Tuesday' date=' July 2nd so I'll let ya know how it goes! Insurance is paying for abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and I'm paying for inner thigh lift. Probably staying overnight and will be home Wednesday sometime! Will post as soon as I'm concious enough to do that! :);)[/quote']

Awesome n gl!! What insurance do u have that pays for abdominoplasty?? Awesommme:) n get well soon nd let us know how ur doing. Dee Dee

My doc is awesome.. im 6mo post op..and at our support group we had a surgeon already come in and talk to us about all the things you can have done.. but the only one insurance will cover is the tummy one.. so.. in the beginning my doc told me that later after a year post op.. and im at my goal wt.. he would make sure my paper work stated that I needed to have this for medical reasons.. he is so wonderful... I love him LOL so I have that to look forward too after a year.. best of luck on your new journey... its been a blast so far for me.. people say so many nice things to me.. I guess my favorite is hey skinny LOL.. now.. havent ever heard that.. I always say thank you and smile.. they dont know how much they just made my day.

My doc is awesome.. im 6mo post op..and at our support group we had a surgeon already come in and talk to us about all the things you can have done.. but the only one insurance will cover is the tummy one.. so.. in the beginning my doc told me that later after a year post op.. and im at my goal wt.. he would make sure my paper work stated that I needed to have this for medical reasons.. he is so wonderful... I love him LOL so I have that to look forward too after a year.. best of luck on your new journey... its been a blast so far for me.. people say so many nice things to me.. I guess my favorite is hey skinny LOL.. now.. havent ever heard that.. I always say thank you and smile.. they dont know how much they just made my day.

Awwwh how sweet!! I'm glad that ur feeling the way we all deserve to feel:)). The doc that gave us the speech says our insurance will only pay for a panni, but after reading a post yesterday, I googled an dbit actually says that it will pay for "tummy tuck nd panni" in conjunction w wls but papereori from doc has to support it...hmm, but I'm still preop, so one journey at a time I guess. I just like being prepared;). Gl to u too!