Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

INTRODUCTIONS-please introduce yourself here before going to another thread

I registered with this sight forever ago...I started the process in January 2006 and today a full year and some later I got a date. March 8th I will be banded at the Ohio State University Medical Center. It has been a very long time coming.

I'm 38, a single mom with a five year old daughter, work full-time, go to school full-time, and date someone who lives in Michigan. Life is busy.

I met Mindful in the flesh not too long ago. We need to meet again!

Juligirl

wow! that is a long time. i had heard that it took a long time at OSU that is one reason why i started at MT carmel. I havent heard anything yet. i went to see the dietitician and went to a nutrition class last week. that is the last of the things i had to do before seeing the surgeon, so i am hoping to hear from them this week.

I certainly admire your patience and tenacity.

If it takes me a year, i will just have to pay for it myself. i cant wait a year. i am just too impatient. my insurance will pay some if i go elsewhere but they pay more if i go to mt carmel or osu.

one suggestion: if you want to lose some dead weight get rid of that boyfriend from MICHIGAN!!!!! Just Kidding---as a buckeye fan, i couldnt pass that one up!!!!!

Debbie,

Thanks...OSU really only got my chart in December. They've been putting me through their paces as quickly as possible. I started at Barix in Groveport, in January 2006. My insurance required 6 mos. of doctor supervised weight loss. I did that from March to September. It took Barix a month to get the info to my insurance, it took my insurance a month to approve me. Which they did in November, but the surgeon from Barix was no longer in network!!!! I don't have it to self pay, so I switched to OSU.

And here I am. Whew!

Juli

I am a banded lap band surgeon at cincinnati weight loss center. I have had my band for approx 1 year now. My wife and mother in law are banded as well. Hope to help and be helped here.

Welcome to southwest Ohio, Johnny Mobs !! Haven't seen you on here before, so thought I would be the first to welcome you to the area. I was banded 2 weeks ago and am doing great. I turned 60 and decided to start a new life. This is the best decision I could possibility have chosen.

Thank you for your time and consideration on this website !

Debbie,

Thanks...OSU really only got my chart in December. They've been putting me through their paces as quickly as possible. I started at Barix in Groveport, in January 2006. My insurance required 6 mos. of doctor supervised weight loss. I did that from March to September. It took Barix a month to get the info to my insurance, it took my insurance a month to approve me. Which they did in November, but the surgeon from Barix was no longer in network!!!! I don't have it to self pay, so I switched to OSU.

And here I am. Whew!

Juli

if you dont mind me asking, what insurance company do you have?

i dont have the money to do it self pay either--but i would have to find a way. i figure i would save money after because i wont be eating as much or going out to restaurants as much!!

but if OSU just got your chart in december then they are moving right along. Hopefully all will be smooth sailing--your date will be here before you know it!!

hows about this snow??? i am playing hookie tonight(i work evening shift--i dont drive in more than 5 inches!!!:omg:

Glad to hear Juli got her date. I had the pleasure of meeting her in person and we got to swap stories. Congrats.

How bout this weather? I love it - I know I'm probably in the minority but snow is my best friend - he he he!

Thanks for introducing yourself, Juli

Hi everyone! Hope I'm in the right place, I'm from northeast Ohio (East Liverpool). I noticed a lot of Dayton, Columbus & Cincinnati people, but none from my neck of the woods, so decided to introduce myself to you all. Here goes...

I'm 37 as of 12/31/06-married since 16 (between 130-135 lbs then)to a really good guy-1 son who's 20, 3 daughters 16, 14 and 11. the boy met a very nice girl 3 years older than he is who had a little girl-they all hit it off so well that they had a little boy of their own 9/04-that worked out so well #3 is now under construction-oh, almost forgot-they all live with me!!!! So my big fat gut is probably the result of the stress hormone cortisole and not due to the fact that I never met a cheeseburger & shake I didn't like. :hungry: But seriously, I started gaining weight at 17, and have been up to around 270, the lowest about 185, now back to about 260. I'm 5'1", so that puts My BMI to more than 49. No comorbidities that I know of yet, but surely they're lurking around the bend. I've been researching WLS for about the last 8 years but never had insurance that would cover it. Got a MUCH better job 3 days after my grandson was born and this insurance started covering it this year so I was off and running. I contacted St Elizabeth & St Joseph Surgical Weight Loss Center in Youngstown Feb 7. Since then I've scheduled my psych eval with a local Dr for 3/1 so I can have the report available for my initial consultation w/the surgeon, Dr Vincent Vanek. Molly at the center said my ins doesn't require the supervised diet & if I get the psych eval done ahead of time, it will go even faster. So I'm hoping & praying that this 8 year process goes fast! I'm so glad I found this site! It's wonderful how open everyone is since this is such an emotional and scary process. It helps so much to be able to read about your experiences. Hope I didn't put people to sleep with my boring bio. I'll stop now because I think I just gave myself carpal tunnel from all this typing..

Hello Everyone,

My name is Traci and I live in Texas. I had my Lap Band done in August of 2005, I was one of my doctors first three lap bands. I haven't regreted it one bit. I have lost a total of 60 pounds so far and still have about 35 more to go. I have a wonderful husband and two teenage boys that have been my inspiration and strength to get through the hard times. I got a little behind when Hurricane Rita decided to visit in September of 2005 but got back on track. I don't want to bore you so I'll let you go.

Banded August 2005

Dr. Stan Hahn

Port Arthur, Texas

Welcome Crystal and Traci it's good to meet new people. Your right Crystal when you say that it's nice that we can be open with each other because this is a subject (weight) that is so much a part of who we are and how we live our lives. I hope that you both find this site helpful because it has been a godsend for me. Traci I'm glad that you have had success with the band, isn't it just awesome.

Thanks Lisann. I can't wait to have this done. I hope it will allow me to finally feel like I have some control over my weight. Being a part of this forum already gives a little psychological edge; not feeling so alone anymore. So thanks to everyone for responding to posts and posting your own thoughts & experiences.

Have a great day!

Crystal

Hi, I also wanted to briefly introduce myself. (I tried this the other day but I don't think it worked). My name is Missy. I'm 47, married, and have 3 children. 1 in college, 1 senior in HS, 1 sophomore in HS. I work 8 - 9 months a year for the government. I live in the Cincinnati area. I was banded on 2-14-07 by Dr Sonnenstine at Tri State Surgical WL. He is in KY at St Luke hospital. I have enjoyed reading and posting on this forum. I find it very informative!! I have been going thru a little depression wondering if I have made the right choice by being banded. I am still very sore...I had a cough going into surgery and it hasn't gotten better much after surgery. So needless to say IT HURTS WHEN I COUGH!! I still have 1 - 2 weeks before I need to go back to work. Hopefully this will give me plenty of time to get adapted to those lovely liquids!! I've only been doing yogurt, popcicles,broth,Carnation Instant Breakfast, pudding, Jello, crystal light, and Water. Oh and I add some Protein Powder to some of that. Any suggestions for anything else?? What are Protein Shakes and where can you find them???? I could go on and on but for now I'll just end with I'm glad I found this Ohio group of banders.....:)

Welcome Valentine, you sure won't beable to forget the date of your banding with it being one of the most popular day's of the year. You gave yourself the greatest Valentines gift of all...your health. Hang in there and I promise you will get to feeling better. Portein shakes are slim fast low carb, Atkins advantage which you can buy in a regular store or you could go to a health food store and they would beable to show you what you need. I know my Dr. told me to get low carb because the sugar is lower in these. Hope this helps

linadu,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. You have been banded for a while...any regrets??? I'm still trying to convince myself that I made the right choice.. :phanvan

Hi Valentine,

I too was banded on Feb 14th (and my daughter). I know what your going through. I am a little grumpy today!! :lol: Not really sure why but I am. I want to eat and not really sure what is right or wrong. I ate cream of wheat and that was good, but I felt like I could have eaten more, but I know that I don't really need to do that.

I am very tired today. I have esptine bar virus (spelled wrong) and Low blood sugar. Maybe that's why I feel grumpy and crappy all in a nut shell. Oh well, we should be fine later on, I hope.

I am 50 and I have two children my son is 26 and my daughter is 21. I also have two step children one is 36 and one is 33. So I also have 4 grandkids that live in IN. They are great kids, love them to death. Married to a great man In July it will be 29 years.

Keep me posted on how you are doing and what you are eating. LOL

Debbie