Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need help I can drink a whole bottle of wine

when i hang out with friends i can drink a whole bottle of wine. i choose not to eat food. sometimes after a hard day of work I can drink 2 bottles of beer. how bad am i destroying my sleeve

You may want to talk to a therapist or psychologist. You might be moving into alcohol abuse territory. I would also worry about all those empty calories.

I am not a expert so I do not know how bad you are destroying your sleeve but alcohol has a lot of calories in it especially beer. Your already lacking and missing certain nutrients and substituting a meal for alcohol will not help you at all. I am sure we all have had a glass of wine or here and there but an entire bottle it a bit much. How long has it been since you were sleeved? Not sure if you feel you have to drink but if you do feel that way you may want to consider talking to a counselor about it because you could be jeopardizing your health.

think of your poor liver. It's been through so much with surgery, getting used to a whole new world. I know a glass or 2 of wine once in a while is good for you (especially, organic red) but if you can't stop with that, maybe try to give it up?? I know you're thinking "Give that up too?" I already can't eat!!!!" Are you sad? depressed? frustrated? If you are, never drink. :( And, I hope you do think I'm judging, because I truly am not. I worry for ya, that's all. Maybe you could drink coconut waters with just a spritz of wine at the top to fade it out?

I am thinking when they suggested you increase your Fluid intakes, that may not have been what they were referring to.

:blink:

I can appreciate it being hard in social situations to follow a nutrition plan. There are a few issues here that I would think you might require some serious thinking. I see you had surgery in March, so you're not that far out. You have to remember you are not fully healed.

Even though you may not be doing physical damage to your sleeve itself (simply I mean I haven't seen any data that shows that alcohol will deteriorate your sleeve), alcohol should never be a substitute for nutrition. Lack of proper nutrition can have serious overall health repercussions. You will always be able to ingest more liquid than solid food, you need to get your Protein in. You have to make good decisions for your well being. You made the decision to have surgery, I can only assume you did not make it lightly and you had serious reasons for doing so, one of which I would hope is your health. You didn't ask "if" you were doing damage, so I suspect you know that this isn't a good pattern to get into.

You won't burn fat while there is alcohol in your system, your body will burn that first... Did you drink the same way before surgery as after? Not making a judgement, back in the day I was known to hold my liquor with the best of them, but my priorities are very different now. I don't want to ingest anything that isn't providing me with nutrition. I have a window of opportunity to lose as much as I can, I want to exploit that. It will slow and my restriction won't be as much. I am taking every bit of that time and using it to my advantage.

If you find yourself drinking more now, you did the right thing by posting. On my psych eval the doctor made a very strong point of making sure I understood that many people have cross over addictions after surgery. Trading food for alcohol. I am not assuming this to be the case, I just wanted to mention it.

You are an adult and can make your own decisions. I hope you take some time and evaluate what's going on with you. You are not alone in the weight loss struggle, we all have our demons. Stay committed to the nutritional plan your doctor laid out for you.

Be well and good luck going forward.

You're not destroying your sleeve. liquids flow right thru it. You are destroying your sleeve's ability to be effective. A bottle of wine is at least 600 calories.

No one should be drinking a whole bottle of wine - WLS or not. You may be developing a transfer addiction. Give yourself this test. No alcohol for a week.

If you can't do it, you need to seek professional help.

If you are still trying to lose weight, you should not be consuming alcohol, period. Consumption of high calorie liquids defeats all known weight loss surgery methodologies. Stop this before it's too late.

The alcohol/wine won't hurt your sleeve but it will sabotage your weight loss. I have the same issue...I love my wine and could easily drink a bottle myself. The past few weeks I've been drinking every wkend between graduations and parties and I either stay the same or put on a pound or two. It really will screw up the loss...it has for me. I now have to really think about where and when I will indulge in my wine it can't be a every wkend kind of thing. BTW, prior to surgery I'd have to drink a few glasses to get a buzz NOW I'm buzzing while drinking my first glass. Good luck to you...and I hope I can't control myself too. I didn't have this surgery for nothing.

Sorry to hear this. Have you always had trouble with alcohol or just since you got sleeved? I know someone who hated drinking but after she had gastric bypass she is now raging alcoholic.

One of my co-workers that got sleeved was having the same problem and she wasn't losing any weight. She decided to start over with her doctors post-op instructions. She is losing again and has cut out alcohol. She looks great! Good luck to you!!!!!