Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am 6 days postop and I feel terrible. I have a drain and I am very worried about that. It is still pulling about 60ml of Fluid out of me every 24 hours. I have diarrehea and just seem generally weak. Is this normal? I am normally a very positive person but I am feeling quite discouraged.

I don't know that anyone of us can say what is normal for you but your doc. But Your Body has just been through so much and a whole lot of changes are going on. I had a great recovery (not bragging) but I was weak still. I had mine last wed. BE Patient. I have had many other types of surgeries in my past and I have had those issues of draining and diahrrea. It slowly stopped. And I got stronger. I hope you do as well.

If your unsure you should call your doctor. From what I understand it is normal to feel weak after surgery however, from what I've read on this site most people are feeling pretty good by day six. Did your doctor say how long you will have the drain? As long as the color of the Fluid is good and you don't have a fever things should be ok but I would call my doctor just for piece of mind.

I feel your pain. I didn't have a drain...but I did have diarrhea. You must be very careful with that. More than 3-4 stools a day is cause for concern. Make sure you are getting in at least 64 oz of Water (which is impossible at day 6) or have your dr. Send you in for fluids. I had to go twice after being released. I still battle diarrhea almost 4 weeks out...but its easier to get my Fluid in so its managable. When you get dehydrated...you have zero strenght and just feel sick in general. Call your dr. Tomorrow. Good luck to you!

Thank you for the responses. The color of the draining liquid looks good according to my doctor, but I am wondering how long it will last. It is draining now as much as it was right after the surgery. I mean, what if it just keeps draining for weeks. Has anyone ever heard of the longest someone had to have the drain in? I did get iv liquids on Friday, because of dehydration. Between the diarrhea and drain I don't know how I can stay hydrated. I am drinking 2 Protein Shakes a day and as much Water as I can.

drink more Water than you think you can. That's what I had to do. I actually got to 60oz of Water the 2nd day home because I was about to go back to the hosp for dehydration. It was HARD. But I didn't to back. :OD

Call your doctor when you have those questions. I did and still do when I have questions.

That whole first week was THE hardest for me and I'm only 2+ weeks out. Good luck

I didn't start to feel better until almost 4 weeks post surgery, so each person is different in how they respond and recover from the surgery. Keep sipping the Water or low calorie Gatorade, it gets better I promise!