Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did ur spouse stay at hospital

With you your first night at hospital?

Did you take a shower at hospital later on after your surgery?

I have so many thoughts racing through my mind right now! My surgery is 6/26/13 Yikes!

The hospital where I was did not allow family members to stay overnight unless it was an extraordinary circumstance. I thought this was good bc that way everyone can get their rest, and the nursing staff takes great care of you. I took a sponge bath the day after my surgery and a shower before I was discharged (I was there 2 nights). My husband came early for my discharge and helped me with my shower, which I liked better than asking an aide to help. (You are a bit sore and unsteady at first and taking a shower in a strange place, so it's nice to have someone close by, even if just for reassurance.)

My husband stayed. I actually slept in the foldout chair bc it was more comfortable and he slept in my bed!!

Also, honestly a shower was the last thing I was thinking about the day I left was a shower!

My husband was at home with the kids for the night I was in the hospital, which was great for me so I didn't have to worry about the kids! I had plenty of visits - my husband brought the kids to see me a couple of times, including before their bedtime so they could say goodnight! And my friend and my Dad both paid me visits as well. Between all of that and the nurses, I was rarely ever alone in that 30 hours or so I was in the hospital. No, I didn't shower in the hospital. I probably could have, but I didn't even bother bringing stuff to shower - I showered on Monday morning before going in for surgery, I went home Tuesday afternoon, and I got up and showered Wednesday morning - really, it was all fine.

The hospital I stay at.. I work at too.. family is allowed to stay if they like.. I didnt want my hubby to stay.. I was going to be ok by myself.. they took very good care of me.. I took a shower when I got home.. I left the next day.. I showered before surgery. I was weirded out with the thought of them helping me in the shower when I work there.. so I passed on that.. besides.. I was getting round by myself anyway to the bathroom and back with the iv pole.. no problems.. my hubby walked with me in the halls all the time.. and that was a lot of times.. not much to do there but walk.. and I went over and beyond what was expected of me.. he even got there at 6am to walk me again.. love him to death.. plus he went to my swallow eval too.. very good stay there.. they said I was their best patient cuz I didnt call for anything and didnt require any help. best of luck to you in your new journey. :)

I know how you feel, hugiloo. I am 4 days post-op. My surgery was Wed & I came home Friday. My hubs stayed with me at the hospital on Wed til around 8:00 or so, and was back around 8:00 on Thursday morning. He could have stayed overnight, but I didn't want him to do that. The sleeper chair thing in the room would have killed his back & I needed him to feel good so he could help take care of me. I was able to wear my own gown & robe, which somehow made me feel better. He left a little earlier on Thursday, once they decided to keep me there another night, and was back again Fri morning around 8:00.

I had to do the bowel cleanse the night before surgery, so I was awake most of that night pooping. I took a shower in the morning before surgery & didn't take another one until Sat morning at home. I could have taken one at the hospital, but I just didn't have enough energy to deal with it there. My hubs had to help me in & out of the shower & he dried off my legs so I didn't have to bend over. My abdomen is still very sore when I move. In general, I feel pretty good, but if I move weird my belly definitely lets me know.

Good luck and happy healing to you! :)

Mine stayed with me and if he didn't they wanted someone to be there at all times so I would have someone to be there and encourage me, to make sure I was on track in what I was doing.

What do you take with you to the hospital? May sound silly but I've never been there as a patient.

My husband stayed both nights with me which helped me a lot since I absolutely HATE hospitals. He was so concerned and protective, every time i moved, he was there to help me. Didn't shower, no energy, but sponge bathed.

Didn't take much to hospital. Just the normal toiletries and something comfortable to wear home.

My husband did not stay overnight and did not need to. In fact, even though he was there from about 9 to 7, there wasn't much he could do for me. Mostly I slept and there was plenty of excellent help at the hospital should I have needed any.

What to take to the hospital? As Private Sleever said, not much. I showered before leaving home for the hospital the morning of my surgery, wore something comfortable to the hospital, used hospital gowns, slippers and other supplies while I was there and wore my same outfit home again. The simpler the better in my opinion.

With you your first night at hospital?

Did you take a shower at hospital later on after your surgery?

I have so many thoughts racing through my mind right now! My surgery is 6/26/13 Yikes!

As I recall, they would have been okay with it but I didn't want her there having to sleep on a poor excuse for a recliner and getting awakened every time they came in to check on me. I sent her home and asked her to wait to hear from me the next day so we could figure out what time she could either come visit (or preferably pick me up and take me home!).

I was asked if I wanted a shower the next day and I declined (yeah, I know, gross). Being the overthinker that I am, I couldn't fathom taking a shower with the IV stand and bag and that medicine ball hanging from my neck.

FWIW, something leaked onto my hospital gown and they found me another one. The nurse had me stand up and she changed me. I'm sure she's seen 1000 other naked patients but still, it was a little unnerving! :lol:

My wife probably will, my children will be with my in-laws, and my mom, all of whom will be at the hospital at least the day of.

two things that I was really glad I packed--face wipes (like the ones you can get to take off make up)...they were refreshing when I felt crappy; and body wipes, like you can get in the medical supply section in a drug store. The body wipes were great when I cleaned up the 2nd day--much easier than trying to use a washcloth and sink (even though I did it at the sink, with the door closed of course) bc I was sore. Oh, and chapstick and Gas-X. there is a thread on what to take to the hospital. And iPhone charger....

My husband stayed until I was ready to go to bed for the night then went home and returned first thing in the morning .I had my cell phone so he could call and check in on me whenever he wanted.

My husband stayed with kids, and took shower next morning a nurse taped up drain tube and then I showered myself and dressed myself and my husband and kids came and got me.