Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my son is 1 and I've been trying to wean him before my surgery on July 3. I've gotten him down to only nursing for his 2 naps and bedtime. Basically, it's the only way he falls asleep. My surgeon thinks that nursing will burn way too many calories in the recovery stage, and I totally agree. How do I get my son to stop? I guess this is a parenting question too, but I'm desperate!

Do you have a local LaLeche League?

Do you have a local LaLeche League?

I haven't looked it up. I know they are a pro breast feeding organization so I figured they would encourage me to continue. I'm soooo ready to stop!

So my son is 1 and I've been trying to wean him before my surgery on July 3. I've gotten him down to only nursing for his 2 naps and bedtime. Basically, it's the only way he falls asleep. My surgeon thinks that nursing will burn way too many calories in the recovery stage, and I totally agree. How do I get my son to stop? I guess this is a parenting question too, but I'm desperate!

When my daughter was born, I breastfed her. After 2 weeks, my nipples were raw, sore, and close to bleeding. I was doing it correctly, but this was not gonna work out as planned. I called my ob/gyn about how to wean her, and they said to just stop cold turkey. I felt miserable for a few days, but glad I did it. You can resort to that if you need to.

When my daughter was born' date=' I breastfed her. After 2 weeks, my nipples were raw, sore, and close to bleeding. I was doing it correctly, but this was not gonna work out as planned. I called my ob/gyn about how to wean her, and they said to just stop cold turkey. I felt miserable for a few days, but glad I did it. You can resort to that if you need to.[/quote']

That's what's going to happen if he doesn't stop before surgery since I'll be I the hospital for one or two nights. He takes bottles and sippy cups fine, but relies on nursing to fall asleep. I'm going to try and cut out nursing for his nap today, I know it will involve a lot of crying :(.

Yeah, the crying really sucks bigtime, but it won't be the first time or last time you deal with that. :blink: You just need to focus on what you need to do for yourself now with the big event coming up. If you just stop cold turkey, it's miserable, but it's over in a few days. Just take nice warm showers. That will make those "rocks" feel better.

Yeah' date=' the crying really sucks bigtime, but it won't be the first time or last time you deal with that. :blink: You just need to focus on what you need to do for yourself now with the big event coming up. If you just stop cold turkey, it's miserable, but it's over in a few days. Just take nice warm showers. That will make those "rocks" feel better.[/quote']

Thanks. It was so easy with my older son, he just lost interest all on his own!

I also have an almost one years old who was breastfed until 6/12/13 I wanted to wean him before surgery. We were down to two feedings, one just after wake up, and one at nap. My husband put him down in the evenings to make it easier for everyone, because my son would DEMAND the boob if I tried. If you can you might try and get some assistance for any feeding that you can. My son is weaned now, I will tell you how we did it.

**** I do not recommend that you try this next part*****

I was planning to drop the morning feeding Friday of that week we woke up Wednesday morning, did his feed, then just before nap he tripped and fell smashing his nose into the edge of our entertainment center. Bloody nose, swelling, sneezing blood, couldn't breathe through his nose. I got the bleeding stopped and called his pediatrician. She said we could come in after nap if he was still snuffly. I tried to put him down he could not breathe through his nose so he couldn't nurse effectively. It was sad there was blots of crying. We headed out to the pediatrician, got sent that afternoon yo the pediatric ENT. Lots of "nasal trauma" and swelling but no breaks thank goodness! And that was the last time he nursed. It was hard, I felt ( still feel!) guilty about it, but he was weaned before my surgery. However I never recommend a broken nose as a method of weaning.

I also have an almost one years old who was breastfed until 6/12/13 I wanted to wean him before surgery. We were down to two feedings' date=' one just after wake up, and one at nap. My husband put him down in the evenings to make it easier for everyone, because my son would DEMAND the boob if I tried. If you can you might try and get some assistance for any feeding that you can. My son is weaned now, I will tell you how we did it.

**** I do not recommend that you try this next part*****

I was planning to drop the morning feeding Friday of that week we woke up Wednesday morning, did his feed, then just before nap he tripped and fell smashing his nose into the edge of our entertainment center. Bloody nose, swelling, sneezing blood, couldn't breathe through his nose. I got the bleeding stopped and called his pediatrician. She said we could come in after nap if he was still snuffly. I tried to put him down he could not breathe through his nose so he couldn't nurse effectively. It was sad there was blots of crying. We headed out to the pediatrician, got sent that afternoon yo the pediatric ENT. Lots of "nasal trauma" and swelling but no breaks thank goodness! And that was the last time he nursed. It was hard, I felt ( still feel!) guilty about it, but he was weaned before my surgery. However I never recommend a broken nose as a method of weaning.[/quote']

Poor baby! My husband usually goes to bed at 8pm because he gets up for work around 3:30am. Jordan doesn't usually fall asleep till 10-10:30. I'm thinking of investing in a glider to try and rock him, but it's so sad when he pulls on my shirt. He eats normal meals, and drinks whole milk and Water out of sippy cups, so I know it's purely just for comfort.

I use our rocker when I put him down now. The rocker and the sound machine.

That's a hard one. I would worry more about him laying on you after surgery more so than the nursing. There was someone else here that was nursing and had surgery and kept on nursing. She needed way extra Water and to up some of her calories but the doc said she could keep nursing.

I got my daughter down to about 2 feedings about a couple of weeks before surgery but then after a while I decided I didn't feel like weaning so she was up to about 5-6 feedings right before surgery. She turned 1 about 2 days after I was sleeved (I was sleeved Oct. 2nd. 2012). I didn't nurse while in the hospital and I didn't leak or become engorged at all but as soon as I came home and was around her I started producing milk and leaking lol. I thought my milk had dried up while I was in the hospital but nope. I officially weaned her about a month ago. My milk supply went down a lot after surgery but she was only nursing about 3-4 times a day and ate regular food. I didn't tell my surgeon that I was breastfeeding. I've always been a slow loser even though I was nursing. If you have any questions feel free to ask but what me and other moms noticed was that our milk supply went down dramatically the weeks following sleeve surgery. Some moms nurse while in the hospital but I was too weak and sick to even think about nursing. My daughter decided one day that she wanted to eat regular food and weaned herself.

I got my daughter down to about 2 feedings about a couple of weeks before surgery but then after a while I decided I didn't feel like weaning so she was up to about 5-6 feedings right before surgery. She turned 1 about 2 days after I was sleeved (I was sleeved Oct. 2nd. 2012). I didn't nurse while in the hospital and I didn't leak or become engorged at all but as soon as I came home and was around her I started producing milk and leaking lol. I thought my milk had dried up while I was in the hospital but nope. I officially weaned her about a month ago. My milk supply went down a lot after surgery but she was only nursing about 3-4 times a day and ate regular food. I didn't tell my surgeon that I was breastfeeding. I've always been a slow loser even though I was nursing. If you have any questions feel free to ask but what me and other moms noticed was that our milk supply went down dramatically the weeks following sleeve surgery. Some moms nurse while in the hospital but I was too weak and sick to even think about nursing. My daughter decided one day that she wanted to eat regular food and weaned herself.

Thanks! Right now I be him only nursing for nap time, Bertie,and middle of the night. I'm not going to nurse in the hospital.. I guess I'll just play it by ear

Thanks! Right now I be him only nursing for nap time' date=' Bertie,and middle of the night. I'm not going to nurse in the hospital.. I guess I'll just play it by ear[/quote']

Wow.. Horrible typos lol.

He nurses 3 times a day

I was confused at first lol. It will be hard but once you start producing less milk he will start to rely more on food and probably naturally wean himself. You will be fine and the good thing is that he's over 1, so you wont have to worry about switching to formula. I managed to continue nursing for about 7 months after I was sleeved but my supply definitely wasn't what it was pre surgery.