Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days post op and feel like poop! Also, have questions

I had my surgery on Tuesday, June 18 and was released from the hospital yesterday. I still feel like complete crap! I have read so many posts on here where people were feeling good or normal just a couple of days post op. I know I've read about the stomach rumbles after surgery, but mine are horrific...it rumbles and growls like I am starving, but really do not feel hungry. Did anyone else experience this and how long did it last? I also feel pressure right in the center between my rib cage and this makes it difficult to lie on my back. I have had two crying spells since my surgery b/c I have been through so many surgeries (from another disorder I have) and thought this would be a lot easier to deal with. Not to mention, I take Zoloft and haven't taken it in two days. I tried crushing it last night (pharamacist recommended doing this) and I swear some chemical or something in it burned my tongue and mouth. I feel like I'm losing it! I'm trying to not use my pain meds much, but I am still so tired and sleepy. I need some reassurance from those that have experienced some of these things...PLEASE!

Oh you are lucky to feel like pooping so soon after surgery, it took me like a week to be able to poop.

;-)

Seriously though, of course you feel rough. You have been under a general anaesthetic. It is not a simple procedure and your body needs to recover from the trauma of what it has just been through. Rest and give yourself time. This stage will pass.

I felt like **** for a week! And the second week? A little less shitty... In fact I didn't feel "normal"

Until the 3rd week. Major surgery will do that to us. Be good to yourself and take the meds if you need them (I did) make sure that you walk 10 to 15 minutes out of every waking hour.

So yes, for a few days or even a week or more, you probably aren't going to feel like tap dancing. It will pass. The main things to keep in mind, is DO NOT get dehydrated...drink your fluids even if it tastes like crap and you don't feel like eating. Second, MOVE! The more you move the better you will feel. You don't have to go run a marathon, but do some moving around. Yes, you will be uncomfortable, there's been a party going on in your insides so it will be a few days before you are feeling good again. Hang tight!

Poor you - but you've just written the blueprint for what happened to many of us in the first few days. You are not alone!

I sobbed for almost a whole day three days post-op, thinking I had ruined my life, but that passed. I couldn't lie down for 10 days but that passed too. My stomach growled and spasmed but I eventually got the hang of knowing when it needed food and when it was digesting.

The first week is the worst, the first month is hard for a lot of people. Yes, there are lots of folk who are bouncing around after a few days - but I wasn't, lol.

So hang in there, this too will pass! I am 8 weeks out and haven't been healthier or happier in years :-))))

I was lucky I was one who bounced back. Maybe that pain you are experiencing is gas? When ever I felt that between my shoulder blades I would pop a gas x strip and walk. Also, my stomach gurgled like crazy. I'm 3 weeks out now and it's calming down. Give it a little time. Hang in there...you will be fine.

It's a ruff patch. It took me about two months before I was feeling totally normal. I had major buyers remorse for even longer after that. Now I know that it was the best decision I ever made! Good luck!

I had my surgery on Tuesday' date=' June 18 and was released from the hospital yesterday. I still feel like complete crap! I have read so many posts on here where people were feeling good or normal just a couple of days post op. I know I've read about the stomach rumbles after surgery, but mine are horrific...it rumbles and growls like I am starving, but really do not feel hungry. Did anyone else experience this and how long did it last? I also feel pressure right in the center between my rib cage and this makes it difficult to lie on my back. I have had two crying spells since my surgery b/c I have been through so many surgeries (from another disorder I have) and thought this would be a lot easier to deal with. Not to mention, I take Zoloft and haven't taken it in two days. I tried crushing it last night (pharamacist recommended doing this) and I swear some chemical or something in it burned my tongue and mouth. I feel like I'm losing it! I'm trying to not use my pain meds much, but I am still so tired and sleepy. I need some reassurance from those that have experienced some of these things...PLEASE![/quote']

Hey we were sleeved on the same day and I feel crappy to. I found walking around my house as much as I can definitely helped to move the gas around. Please take your pain meds it will make your healing process easier if you control your pain. Stay strong you can and will get through this.

I totally understand and relate. The first week is horrible (I'm only on day 10 myself, so it's getting better...just not quite there yet). I had growling and though it may be hunger too. Just be sure to try to get your Protein in if you can and walk. Even small steps pacing back and forth if you need to. Crushing meds is awful! I tried that too and just could NOT get them down LOL So, I cut them really small and swallow them. It takes a few times through out the day to get them all down, but at least they are getting in.

If you're sleepy then sleep! Your body is healing and needs the rest to recover. Just remember "This too shall pass..."

Hang in there! *hugs*

I felt like **** for the first 6 days. It gets better. Hang in there.

Me too! I'm on day 3 and so far I am better than 2 days ago but I'm kind of mad that a lot of people seem to have it easy lol.

My breakdown was on day 2. I tried to eat a popsicle and it hurt soooooo much. I had to be talked of the ledge by one of the bariatric nurses. It took about a week until I felt kinda ok. I'm 3 weeks out tomorrow and still struggling at times but my life has started to return to normal. It will get better - just a little bit every day. Hang in there!! -_-

I posted this same thing last wk. I am now 8 days post op and it's letting up some. I just have the nonstop cramp on left side of stomach n next to bellybutton. No more nausea thank god bcuz dry heaves were killing my insides... It will get better! Rest take meds n walk when u can. Don't seen like it but it will get better :)

Omg, my week 2 was the worst. If the coordinator hadn't warned be about week 2, I would have lost it. She was 9 mons out and told me what to expect from week to week. She said by week 3 things would look up. She was right. So it helps to speak with folks that's been through it.

I walked for 10-15 mins every 2 hours & whenever I felt that "gas" pain. That helped a lot.

Couldn't lay down comfortably for 2 weeks, so may husband @ I camped out on the couch until it got better. My pain meds kept me relaxed & kept my mind off the pain. Whatever you need to do to relax, do it because your mind and body really need it at this point.

In time, you will realize its the best thing you could've done for yourself.

HANG IN THERE!!!!! You'll see.

Thanks everyone I already feel better reading your posts! I know that it will pass, just needed the reassurance! Wish everyone the best!