Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Colorado!! Weather Questions...

I really want to get my surgery done in February by Dr. Kirshenbaum in Denver. I have decided on him for sure, but I am concerned about the weather. The blizzard last week even made our news quite a few times last week. I am reading on CNN.com now that there is another storm expected on Thursday.

I really don't know whether it's safe to book anything in February. I am scared that the weather will be bad and I will get there, get stuck, & not get the surgery done.

I was going to call the office today to get some dates so that I can book my flight, but now I don't know.

Any thoughts or advice:( :)

I'm scheduled with Dr. K for Jan 16, so I'm definitely thinking the same thoughts as you are. But I have my flights booked and time off from work set up, so I'm not going to mess with anything at this point. I asked the Doctor's office about this issue when I first called, and they said that Denver, having had some experience in this area, is generally pretty quick to recover from these things. They said that they would do whatever they could to make it work out if weather did cause problems at the time (such as getting the surgery done the next day if the weather made things impossible on the scheduled date).

If you do call the Doctor's office to ask about this, I'd be interested to hear what they say, and what you decide, if you feel like sharing that info.

Mark

I'm scheduled with Dr. K for Jan 16, so I'm definitely thinking the same thoughts as you are. But I have my flights booked and time off from work set up, so I'm not going to mess with anything at this point. I asked the Doctor's office about this issue when I first called, and they said that Denver, having had some experience in this area, is generally pretty quick to recover from these things. They said that they would do whatever they could to make it work out if weather did cause problems at the time (such as getting the surgery done the next day if the weather made things impossible on the scheduled date).

If you do call the Doctor's office to ask about this, I'd be interested to hear what they say, and what you decide, if you feel like sharing that info.

Mark

I asked about the weather when I called the week before last and she basically said if it's small snow they keep going. If it's a couple feet of snow that they close everything down. Like you said though, it makes sense that would be more prepared, so they would more recover quickly. She really didn't say much else.

I was a little concerned about this before last weeks storm and now I am really wondering. I really want to give @ least a months notice @ work and go ahead and book my flight, so I might just have to take a chance.

Hopefully by the time your surgery comes the weather will be better.

I'm from NC...Where are you flying from?

I asked about the weather when I called the week before last and she basically said if it's small snow they keep going. If it's a couple feet of snow that they close everything down. Like you said though, it makes sense that would be more prepared, so they would more recover quickly. She really didn't say much else.

I was a little concerned about this before last weeks storm and now I am really wondering. I really want to give @ least a months notice @ work and go ahead and book my flight, so I might just have to take a chance.

Hopefully by the time your surgery comes the weather will be better.

I'm from NC...Where are you flying from?

I'm flying from D.C.

Just curious, how much time are planning to take off work?

I'm flying from D.C.

Just curious, how much time are planning to take off work?

I am going to take a week off. What about you?

I've taken a week, and I also said I might have to work from home for a bit after that. I see that most people recover fine within a week, but a few seem to need longer, so I'm trying to cover myself. I must say I'm a little worried about working full time while on a liquid diet, but I'm sure it will work out.

Hey girls!!

I wouldn't stress too much about the weather. The blizzard we had last week hasn't happened in years! We don't shut down too often around here and the snow is usually gone the next day.

Feb is usually not too bad, might be cold but I wouldn't worry about getting snowed in (or out!). Jan might have a better chance of snow but still not enough to make you change your plans. I have lived here for 25 years and I have only been snowed in 3 or 4 times EVER.

PM me if I can help!

I've taken a week, and I also said I might have to work from home for a bit after that. I see that most people recover fine within a week, but a few seem to need longer, so I'm trying to cover myself. I must say I'm a little worried about working full time while on a liquid diet, but I'm sure it will work out.

I have wondered about the recovery too...I think work will be okay (I hope). Plus, I am a graduate student and I already have a tight fit getting in that little desk. Hopefully I can manage to get in the desk w/out hurting myself. I am missing one week of classes though.

Did they tell you how long the liquid diet will be?

Hey girls!!

I wouldn't stress too much about the weather. The blizzard we had last week hasn't happened in years! We don't shut down too often around here and the snow is usually gone the next day.

Feb is usually not too bad, might be cold but I wouldn't worry about getting snowed in (or out!). Jan might have a better chance of snow but still not enough to make you change your plans. I have lived here for 25 years and I have only been snowed in 3 or 4 times EVER.

PM me if I can help!

I feel a lot better now...I guess I will go ahead and call the office today to see about setting my date. It will really seem real then!!!:)

Thanks Drewslou!!!:)

Hey girls!! I wouldn't stress too much about the weather.

Hey DrewsLou, does that mean us guys should still stress about the weather?? Just kidding. :pound: :)

Mark

I just tried calling the office and the recording said that they are closed due to the weather. They said that they will be back in the office on 1/2/07.

Hopefully, I will get a date soon.

Did they tell you how long the liquid diet will be?

Once you sign up Paula Pierce, the nutritionist, will send you some info and contact you to discuss it all. Here's the general rundown.

· Post-surgery Diet

Weeks1: Clear liquid diet

Weeks 2-4: Full Liquid/Pureed Diet

My pre-op diet is basically just no-carb diet for 10 days. I'm doing it for two weeks just for the heck of it. All things considered this is a fairly humane program compared to some I've seen. I have no idea which is better, but you know what they say, trust your doctor. I'm glad Kirshenbaum has a relatively painless program. I also like the fact that he has no psych exam. I prefer to be treated as if I am presumptively competent to make my own decisions.

I, too am doing the no blizzard dance, with my surgery date being 1/16. I have to fly through O'Hare too, so two big airports I need to worry about. It's a good thing they and Denver are used to snow and can recover pretty quickly. Like drewslou said, these big blizzards are few and far between. Hopefully this will be it for them for the year!

Marjon - thanks for the post op rundown. I just got an email yesterday from Paula requesting dates I would be available for my phone consult with her. You're right. This does seem like a more humane program where they treat you like competent adults capable of making informed decisions.

Did Dr. K tell you what size band he would be using for you. He told me the 10cm, 4cc band. I think that's different from the Vanguard....

Hi Shesha, I did not ask what size band. It's an interesting question. I'll ask next time I talk to the doc.

Also, I'm wondering, you mentioned that your surgery date is 1/16. Originally I thought it was 1l25. Did you change the date?

Mine is 1/16 also. That would be pretty amazing to have the surgery in the exact same time and place. Maybe we can play Monopoly while we are waiting in pre-op.

It's getting close. I'm starting to get obsessed. Sometimes it's hard to concentrate on my job when I'm at work. I'm really looking forward to the time about a month after surgery where I'm pretty well healed up and able to eat a little bit of real food. But I guess there are no shortcuts on that path. Just one foot in front of the other.

Sorry, I had your date on my mind when I wrote that. No, I will not be there until 1/25. Good catch though.

Luckily, I am home with my daughter these days, otherwise I am sure the 'internet police' at my old job would have fired me by now (or at least blocked this site)=o) yes, my husband has stopped trying to pull me away from this site. He sees it as a good time to catch up on Star Trek. tee hee...