Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering if 9 months is enough time to heal between band and sleeve

Last October I was supposed to have a revision done at the same time . my band really messed up my stomach and my doctor took one look at my stomach and closed me up without doing the sleeve. He said my stomach tissue was too damaged from the band and the stitches or staples would not hold and I would be sure to get a leak. well here it is almost 9 months later I am planning to have the sleeve in July I'm wondering if anyone knows is that sufficient time for healing? is there anyway he can find out before he gets in there?

It took me 18 months to be cleared, but I was an extreme case. Your surgeon will do the necessary exams and tests to clear you. Rely on what your surgeon recommends. They know what's best for a good outcome with an easy recovery that won't invite complications because it was rushed.

The one surgeon only made you wait 2 months. Mine wants you to wait 4 to 6 months. I was 4.5 months out but, he felt that was OK as I had no erosion and mild adhesions at the band site itself. Some of the adhesions were from the band to other organs. I also had the band unfilled prior to removal and was on 2 ppi's a day.

Recovery from the sleeve was easier than the band or band removal.

I had mine all in one but my band was completely unfilled for several months and I was put on a couple of ppi meds and another med to help heal the lining of my stomach during that time.

I'm about to have my band removed on Monday. I've had it for 9 years so I'm worried my stomach will be all messed up too. My surgeon is also implanting a filter to prevent pulmonary embolism. He said he never does band to sleeve revisions in one surgery...he just thinks it's too big a risk.

He told me I'd have to wait about 3 months to have my sleeve done.

Your surgeon and my agree. Mine said the asbp or what every there association is called, has stated that doing the surgery in two steps is much less risky. Enough to justify the risk of two surgeries. I was really upset when I was told I had to have mine in two surgeries. But, once hearing the reasons and seeing those with issues having two I wasn't upset any more.

Your surgeon and my agree. Mine said the asbp or what every there association is called' date=' has stated that doing the surgery in two steps is much less risky. Enough to justify the risk of two surgeries. I was really upset when I was told I had to have mine in two surgeries. But, once hearing the reasons and seeing those with issues having two I wasn't upset any more.[/quote']

I had my lap band removed on Thursday, 6/20. Today is 3 days out - my only complaint is intestinal gas vs gas build up within my torso.

Although there is no pre-op diet I highly recommend a light diet prior to surgery and right after. I ate normally before surgery.

I've alternated ice bags with heating pad on my tummy and side. also walking a lot. The first bowel movement was a nightmare and occurred on Saturday around 1:00 am.

My surgeon had me on a liquid diet for the last 5 days. chicken broth, sugar free popcicles and Jello and Atkins Protein shakes 3 times a day. Last night I also had to drink 10oz of magnesium citrate.

However, there is no special post-op diet I am to follow. I can return to eating solid foods right away, which surprised me.

My band is coming out tomorrow morning 5:30. Nervous. I only took Monday and Tuesday off work and I am supposed to go back on Wednesday......do you think that's enough time?

I hope you start feeling better soon.

My surgeon had me on a liquid diet for the last 5 days. chicken broth, sugar free popcicles and Jello and Atkins Protein shakes 3 times a day. Last night I also had to drink 10oz of magnesium citrate.

However, there is no special post-op diet I am to follow. I can return to eating solid foods right away, which surprised me.

My band is coming out tomorrow morning 5:30. Nervous. I only took Monday and Tuesday off work and I am supposed to go back on Wednesday......do you think that's enough time?

I hope you start feeling better soon.

If you don't have any problems, but for me the band coming out was as ruff as the banding surgery and harder than the sleeve surgery.

I think it is key to wear lose garments around the tummy area. I work in an office environment. My surgeon told me to plan for 14 days, but I have only allowed 7. I will wear lose garments like dresses and skirts when I return to work.

So...lap band removal on 6/20 and back in the office on 6/27. :)

Thanks for your responses! My surgery went well but it was a tough case. I had a previous open surgery in 1987 (gallbladder) and there was scar tissue and leions all down the front of my abdomen. My surgeon cut that all down and away from my abdomen wall in preparation for the sleeve surgery. And even though I had stuck to a strict liquid diet for 5 days pre-surgery, my liver was still so large that the surgeon had a hard time.

But i came home from the hospital and my abdomen is sore and I have gas in my left shoulder. But I can eat and drink and I just had my first bm and it was ok. Tomorrow I plan to go back to work. I work in an office so I think it'll be ok.

My surgeon asked me to lose 30 pounds before my sleeve surgery so my liver will shrink some just to make the sleeve surgery easier. This pain my shoulder is the worse pain I have had since the surgery.