Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

President Gerald Ford

I think President Ford was the right man for the job at the terrible time when he took over the failed presidency. As President, he was a Republican, who was a decent human being first, an American next and a politician last. His pardon of Nixon, in retrospect was the right thing to do. This country need healing and he sacrificed his chance for re-election for the greater good. The USA needs a Ford clone right now. In fact, we could do well with a few hundred Ford clones right now, both Gerald's and Betty's.

His wife, Betty changed the USA with her diseases; both of them. She was an inspiration to many women and quite a few men. I wish I could comfort her in some way. She deserves to be honored as a great first lady who continued to contribute after her husband left office.

I doubt the USA would be in the terrible situation it is in now if a Gerald Ford was our president. Let's (those who believe in prayer) pray for him, his wife and the USA. We can all be thankful for Mr. Ford being around at the right time. It may have been an accident that he became president, but selecting Gerald Ford to replace Spiro Agnew was one Richard Nixon's most important legacies.

May President Gerald Ford rest in peace and may his First Lady, Betty Ford feel comfort in the knowledge that her husband was respected and loved by Americans, both Republican and Democrat alike.

That was a very nice tribute TOM, very nice! I was born in 1974 when he took office, so of course I don't know much about him, but watching the news reflecting on him, that is exactly the sentiment they are expressing. How he healed the nation. We do need the next president to do something similar as we are again a nation divided.

Rest in Peace, Mr. President.

I loved his address to Congress - a Democratic Congress - when he first took office. He said, "I don't want a honeymoon with you; I want a good marriage."

TOM - That is the first political post you have made that I agree with (except for the 3rd paragraph :)). He was a good man in a bad time in our history. Thanks for your tribute - well stated.

People who didn't live through that period may pick apart Gerald Ford's legacy, but I was a democrat then and I loved him. He helped restore sanity to this country after two and a half decades of insanity. Unfortunately, every generation has to go through the insanity. George is providing it for these generations. Have fun group! I'd take Gerald Ford in a New York minute over the clowns we have now. I'm embarrassed by my generation. I hope we get someone younger who can get it together or maybe Hillary, though I'm an Obama fan. Sometimes lack of experience can be a good thing. Also George Bush had zero experience in Washington. He was the governor of Texas and in Texas the governor doesn't have much power. Also Texas democrats are republicans in drag so he naturally could get along with them. I say God bless Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter, who may not have been great presidents, but who were and are decent men. I still maintain that Carter lost because he held to the treaty with Panama and was going to give the canal back to them. He was too decent to know that he was supposed to lie to them. Reagan on the other hand invaded Panama for trumped up reasons and secured the canal for us, possibly forever. The major tactic in that little brushfire was to play loud rock music at Noriega's palace night and day. We also arrested and charged a leader of a foreign country which I don't think is diplomatically very good. Reagan also invaded some tiny island in the Caribbean because some Cubans were there, and we had medical students who couldn't get into stateside schools there. Actually I think these were both just exercises for the military. They were getting stale after Vietnam was over and needed some real blood. But that's just my opinion. I think both "wars" could have been handled by the FBI or CIA, assuming they aren't the bunch of screw-ups that they seem to be. While this was going on, stagflation was eating up everyone's income at home. I really don't think Reagan was a great president. He took credit for the demise of the Soviet Union, but the truth is they ran out of money and destroyed themselves. What he did was spend more than they could on armaments. So they went broke. I wonder if we will ever get a decent president again in my lifetime which isn't all that long.

I found it Ironic that George W. BuSh walked Betty Ford into the assembly for President Ford's Funeral. And that George W. BuSh was selected to speak.

George W. BuSh is the president most like Richard Nixon in style and demeanor.

Where will the Republicans get another Gerald Ford to replace George W. BuSh?

Where will the Democrats get another Gerald Ford to replace George W. BuSh?

Who can heal our country?

I found it Ironic that George W. BuSh walked Betty Ford into the assembly for President Ford's Funeral. And that George W. BuSh was selected to speak.

George W. BuSh is the president most like Richard Nixon in style and demeanor.

Where will the Republicans get another Gerald Ford to replace George W. BuSh?

Where will the Democrats get another Gerald Ford to replace George W. BuSh?

Who can heal our country?

Yup, you are right, T.O.M., Gerald Ford was a class act, and may I also say that it is a fine thing to hear your voice again. (You might thank yer wife for her patience on my part, eh.)

I live in Grand Rapids, MI and this past week has been so moving while we welcomed our native son home to lay him at rest. I stood on Patterson Ave. and watched the motorcade drive by as they went from the airport to downtown. It was such a moving tribute to President Ford.

What a great legacy to leave behind. His children and his family as a whole have been class acts since his passing. They greeted people for a short time at the Gerald Ford museum. So many years after their father left public service, they graciously stepped forward to represent their family.