Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op with swollen stomach and gained 8 pounds

Aloha

I just returned today from Mexico. I was sleeved on July 14th. I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Lumban and Dr. Alejandres at Hospital Nova in Tijuana. I've been on my feet all day (and sitting) waiting at the airport for my flight (about 4 hours to wait). NOw I am home and my stomach is all swollen. My doctor did wrap my stomach when I left for support. But by the time I got off the airplane back in Utah my stomach is sooo swollen and I've gained 8 pounds since my surgery date.

Anyone else experience something like this?

I would imagine pretty much everyone.

so nothing to worry about?

I would say not...my stomach looked like frankenbelly for about a week or two it was so swollen.

And I didn't bother even stepping on a scale for about that long also because I knew I was up from fluids and swelling from the trauma.

For me swelling took about a month to go down. I gained 10lbs from the fluids they pumped into me.

Yes, do wait at least 2 weeks to get an initial scale weigh at home after surgery, maybe 3 weeks. My weight was up 17 after surgery from a reservoir of IV fluids. It took about 2.5 weeks until back at pre surgery day of surgery weight.

Phew! I gained about 6lb after the surgery. Yes, I am still swollen @6dpo.

Frankenbelly is right. Ferel like the scene from Alien! AND plane rides help you retain Water too. AND those hospital IVs fill you FULL of liquid. Follow the program and ignore the scale for a couple weeks.

so nothing to worry about?

It is not a problem and is just a side effect of having the surgery. It should smooth out in 2-3 weeks.

No swelling for me... I guess both with and without can be normal, because at 7 weeks today I'm doing fine. Good luck with it all.