Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going on Vacation at 6 wks- Need food ideas

I will be going on a week-long vacation exactly six weeks after surgery. I'm interested in hearing what people have eaten while on vacation (going on a plane so can't really bring a tom of my own snacks). I'll be at Sea World for 2 days and the beach for 2 days and it will be HOT! Anyone have food ideas?

6 weeks out I was still on soft foods. So as far as travel easy to eat items i recommend string cheese, small 4oz cans of tuna, apple sauce, 12 oz muscle milk portein drinks (chocolate very tasty :). ) Sit down hot meals....eggs,soups and the like. Personally I would have refrained on any travel plans until i got on solid foods for the convienence factor.

Good Luck!

I am in Australia but I went to our Seaworld and the beach 8 weeks after my surgery. It was hot also. I could not eat airplane food at all. At Seaworld I found a fruit salad and was able to eat a small amount. Mostly I had cold Water or water ices. Luckily I was staying with my daughter so was able to buy yoghurt and keep in her fridge. Eating in hot weather is not easy, but more difficult when you are sleeved. Find an air-conditioned room and sip, sip, sip!

I'm heading to the beach at 5 weeks post op for 3 weeks and worry about the same thing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I went on a trip exactly 6 weeks post op and was just released to normal foods. It was a bit scary because I didn't really want to be trying new foods if some of them didn't sit well. Turns out I was way over thinking it. For dinners, I would order fish and steamed veggies, lunches I got sandwiches and ate the meat and cheese. I did take some Protein shakes with me and some nectar powder to make sure I got my Protein in.

It was easier than I thought it would be. Who knew healthy choices have been around us all this time? :wacko:

Good luck and have fun!

I am 3 1/2 months post op currently. I went on vacation to a wedding exactly 6 weeks post op too. I was nervous, but it wasn't as difficult as you might think. I was on solids, so my choices were endless, but it made me nervous at the same time. I have 3 kids, so we hit McDonalds a few times and I got chicken nuggets and peeled off the fried outer layer and dipped them in sauce. You'll be in San Diego (I live only 45 minutes from there), so you will have Subway around. A lot of the Subways offer Soups. If they don't, you can get Soup at most restaurants. I also did chili. You can go to any Mexican joint and order refried Beans. When we go to Sea World I take a mini ice cooler and pack Snacks. You can bring string cheese and all your other go to snacks you like. Just remember to drink, drink, drink! You can also get creative at fast food places. If they offer chili burgers just tell them you'd like the chili as a side. I did that at one of the fast food places on the road. They looked at me funny, but did it. Good luck and have fun! It's not too hot yet. :)

I will actually be in San Antonio and then Corpus Christi, but thanks for all the great ideas!!!

Crab or shrimp cocktail are good for restaurants. Also Soup and chili as others have mentioned. I also enjoyed fish items off the appetizer menu, such as scallops and shrimp skewers.

I took my Protein powder and a shaker cup and mixed it with Starbucks instant Decaf coffee. Fits great in a suitcase and no worries about spills. I also brought saltine crackers, because I was allowed a couple with meals on my plan.

I bought greek yogurt cups at convenience stores and ate that too. When vacationing at a hotel with a mini fridge, I stocked up on a few yogurt cups, string cheese, and low fat lunch meat. If I could find a fruit cup with mostly melon, I bought that too. I couldn't tolerate most fruits the first few months because the acid bothered me.

Lynda

I will be going on a week-long vacation exactly six weeks after surgery. I'm interested in hearing what people have eaten while on vacation (going on a plane so can't really bring a tom of my own snacks). I'll be at Sea World for 2 days and the beach for 2 days and it will be HOT! Anyone have food ideas?

Soup, fish, fish and more fish. Be sure and tell them not to brush it with butter. I have learned to ASSUME everything, meats and veggies are made with butter. They are always very accommodating!!! Have fun!

At six weeks I can have almost anything -- no raw veggies and bread til 7-8 weeks out -- but I can say right now at 4 weeks, I can have this on the go that might help you:

Subway -- You can order a 6 inch meatball (will be 4 meatballs and sauce) and have them just put the meatballs in a Soup cup for you -- no bread. I put some swiss cheese on mine to add some Protein and got two meals out of one cup the other day when I was on the road.

You can usually find a deli shop with soup to order and get along with some of those family restaurants. Subway in my area doesn't have soup in the summer but they may still serve it down state so you also have that option there.

Sonic or Whataburger -- I got them to make a sausage Breakfast burrito the other day without the tortilla -- just the "guts" of it and had 3 meals off of that because eggs are so filling for me.

At a nice steakhouse or fish place, I can have salmon and a baked sweet potato right now. I've also seen where some people have ordered loaded mash potatoes -- with bacon bits, cheese, etc. -- that I know is not the greatest choice but one that I can have on my plan right now that might get you by for a meal.

Wendy's = chili

Taco Bell = I've had them make a mix of refried Beans, some taco meat and cheese and put it in a cup for me to go. Cheap and lasted two meals for me.

Have fun on vacation!

Soup, fish, fish and more fish. Be sure and tell them not to brush it with butter. I have learned to ASSUME everything, meats and veggies are made with butter. They are always very accommodating!!! Have fun!

My surgeon was Dr. Davidson too! His main thing- Don't break the sleeve!

Thanks for all the great ideas! Little problem- I do not like seafood. I have tried many kinds throughout my life and have never found anything I liked. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that some of my tastes will change with this surgery. Salmon and shrimp always look so good!

Thanks for all the great ideas! Little problem- I do not like seafood. I have tried many kinds throughout my life and have never found anything I liked. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that some of my tastes will change with this surgery. Salmon and shrimp always look so good!

I soooo want to like Salmon, but I don't....I love shrimp though. Grilled, blackened or shrimp cocktail. Tastes do change for some of us. All of a sudden I like Grape Nuts....just an example! Weird. So, did Dr. D tell you how NOT to break your sleeve??? !! LoL I have an appt. with him, my three year follow up, next Friday. I haven't seen him since my one year, I didn't go last year but decided I had some follow up questions, I'm making a list. :) Somebody ( a nurse) at a support group I attend, said some of the 'guidelines' have changed in the past few years. I'm curious, plus, how can doctors keep accurate statistics if they don't see former patients occasionally. I figure every other year maybe.

Well in that case, chicken off the appetizer menu :-) Just pull off the breading if it comes that way. Some places have a cheese and meat appetizer plate. Not low fat, but good for a meal out if you don't see anything else you like.

Lynda