Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My goodbye to diet coke

Ok...so I'm an addict! I love diet coke, especially McDonalds diet coke...it tastes the best! But I am just about 2 weeks pre-op (surgery date 7/1) so I decided it was time to go off caffeine! And boy do I have a headache!!!! And for headaches I usually take IBU and no IBU before surgery! I just can't win! Lol.

I know this is for the best and I'm going to be giving up a lot more and be in more pain than this but right now I just really want a diet coke! :)

I am determined to do all this by the book so goodbye to diet coke! Thanks for being my friend for all these years! But it's time for me to go on without you and start this new chapter in my life...to a healthier me!

:)

Good for you, keep strong you can do it!

I'm with you girl! Love, love, LOVE McD's diet coke! And I said my goodbyes as well to all my fav carbonated diet beverages...parting is such sweet sorrow...but I really haven't missed it that much so far! Lol

I used to drink up to a 2 liter of Coke Zero a day and gave it up cold turkey a month before surgery. The first two days were hard and I've not really thought about it since. Start experimenting with different zero calorie liquids now so that you find something you like pre-surgery. You will be so full on liquids, you won't have room to think about the fizzy, teeth rotting acid. :D

I too loved diet coke, especially McDonald's. Although I was not an addict and drank maybe one or two a week. Now, I can't stand any soda, taste bud changes make all soda's taste toxic to me. I've sipped one on several occasions and no change in the toxic taste over the last 18 months. I now like fruit 2-o it's light and does the job.

Me too! But I am a diet Pepsi girl! I'm about a month out so I'm going to take the giving up caffeine SLOWLY!

You're going to do fine. It is really great that you are making the commitment to living a healthier lifestyle. There will be a time when you will want that soda. But keep in mind the reasons you decided to have this surgery. If drinking soda makes you the happiest, then by all means. But at the end of the day, really think about all the contributors that got you to the point of feeling surgery was your best option. I think that by saying good bye to soda is a great first step in living the best life you possibly can. Congratulations!!!

I too am a diet pepsi freak, i've been drinking it since I was a teenager, first thing in the morning and last thing at nite, I did give it up for 3 yrs with the band and then when I got sleeved, a girl got a bezoar and she researched and read that diet colas would dissolve them, soooo I had an excuse, was scared of getting a bezoar, so i started drinking it again...what a mistake that was...Now i am scheduled to have a sleeve revision on 8/1, and i have to come off again after drinking it for 3 ys...ugh...I like arizona diet tea..but will miss the fizz!! :(

I always drank 12 oz cans-10-12 a day. Through reading this forum i learned that it might be a requirement to give it up with my surgeon. A month before my 1st appt with the surgeon I decided to quit. The way I did it was to limit myself to 1 first thing in the am and 1 in the evening. I did that a few days then I had 1/2 can each time. Then I changed the evening soda for Kool-Aid made with stevia. After a few days to acquire the taste for Kool-Aid I dropped the am soda and traded it for the Kool-Aid. I did fine this way. I had no headache and have no cravings for it. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just wanted to throw that out there for anyone coming in later and facing it. It was a serious worry for me and I was very happy to have found an easy way to achieve it. I quit smoking at the same time doing it the same way, alternating E-cigs for the real thing and weaning myself off.

Ok...so I'm an addict! I love diet coke' date=' especially McDonalds diet coke...it tastes the best! But I am just about 2 weeks pre-op (surgery date 7/1) so I decided it was time to go off caffeine! And boy do I have a headache!!!! And for headaches I usually take IBU and no IBU before surgery! I just can't win! Lol.

I know this is for the best and I'm going to be giving up a lot more and be in more pain than this but right now I just really want a diet coke! :)

I am determined to do all this by the book so goodbye to diet coke! Thanks for being my friend for all these years! But it's time for me to go on without you and start this new chapter in my life...to a healthier me!

:)[/quote']

Good choice !!! You won't regret it

I don't see how drinking a diet soda can hurt weight loss attempts. They have zero calories, zero fat, zero carbs. I asked my NUT if the fizz could stretch the sleeve and she said no. The only reason she said to avoid caffeine was because of stomach irritation and the fizz could cause a bloated feeling. I have neither of these problems.

Coke was my thing.... I love coca cola but I decided to completely give it up and like you I dealt with the headaches... They were horrible Migraines for about 3-4 days but I guess my body finally detoxed and all better now!!! I eventually even lost the hunger pains too.. Surgery June 24 I week left!!!! Good luck with everything :D

Ok...so I'm an addict! I love diet coke, especially McDonalds diet coke...it tastes the best! But I am just about 2 weeks pre-op (surgery date 7/1) so I decided it was time to go off caffeine! And boy do I have a headache!!!! And for headaches I usually take IBU and no IBU before surgery! I just can't win! Lol.

:)

Coming from a person that used to drink at least a 6-pack of Diet Coke a day I can tell you it's been months since I had one and I don't miss it. You can do it and it'll be worth it.

Giving up the carbonation was not as hard as I feared. Pellegrino Water and diet pepsi are my exes. :) We have been broken up now for over 4 months and don't look back.

Caffeine, whoa! That was going to be a whole new problem. Me and my morning coffee, well, as Forest Gump would say, we go together like pea and carrots. 2 cups. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. I took it slow. Caffeine withdrawl headaches are the worst. 2 days of caffeinated for the first cup and half caff for the second. 2 days of regular for the first cup and Decaf for the second. Then 2 days of half caff for the first and decaf for the second then decaf from then out.

About 2 weeks after surgery, would have a cup of decaf but could only drink a bit of it. 3 weeks was cleared for caffeine so started a few days of half caff and worked up to it. Now I'm back to 1-2 cups of regular coffee.< /p>

If you have a coffee system that lets you do the pods, it will be worth it to get a couple boxes of half caff and decaf to save the sanity. :)

I don't see how drinking a diet soda can hurt weight loss attempts. They have zero calories' date=' zero fat, zero carbs. I asked my NUT if the fizz could stretch the sleeve and she said no. The only reason she said to avoid caffeine was because of stomach irritation and the fizz could cause a bloated feeling. I have neither of these problems.[/quote']

This article does a nice job of highlighting how diet soda can do a number in your body and actually hinder weight loss.

http://m.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/diet-soda-bad-you