Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does surgery = Money savings?

As I prepare for my July surgery date I can't help but wonder if having the surgery helps with saving money. I would think that post surgery the dining out would decrease substantially along with the portion sizes and gas station sodas, etc. Have any of you noticed some cost savings?

I am only 10 days out and I have definitely noticed a big difference in both our grocery bill and dining out since we used to eat out 5 times a week- my groceries were half what we normally spend, but it is just me and my hubby, so a family with children might not notice as much of a difference at the grocery store.

You make up for it in clothes shopping, which will go from depressingly NOT fun, to a LOT of fun!!! We still eat out just as much, but I'm a cheap date. I order ala carte or we share.

My lunch tab at work has gone from $7-8 dollars a day to $1-2/ day. So yes, for me it's saving money.

I hate shopping and don't anticipate that changing so I'm not worried about spending money.

My budget is pretty much the same. Except instead of eating my money now, I throw it away. If I eat out, I bring home leftovers that I just don't want to eat again. Healthier food is expensive and unless I eat the same thing several times in a row, product ends up going bad before I eat it.

Huge difference for my budget! I eat less than my 5 year old daughter. For lunch I literally eat one slice of lunch meat and one slice of cheese and sometimes don't finish it. Plus, no soda, snack food, and I can't tolerate bread, so those items I don't buy or if I do, they last longer in my house.

I used to spend $20-$30 a day on food. Now it's more like $5-$10. I used to take 7 medications, now I take 2. So for me, it's paying for itself!

My mom's on much less medication, but she makes up for that cost with all the supplements! Buy Vitamins in bulk, it saves :)

Yeah....the local Sonic had to lay off several people after my surgery. But buying so many new clothes....then getting rid of them because they got to big and buying more.....evened out the money savings. But I foresee a huge savings in the future on medical bills that I won't need now.

YES! i used to spend $30 easy a day on restaurant food and probably about $10 a day of at home food was consumed so definitely!

i used to eat a whole box of Cereal and a half gallon of milk in a day. granola is expensive!! lol

Depends on what you're paying for the surgery and if you have complications that throw big hospital bills in your lap. :( mine probably won't pay off for a while. But in the long run, perhaps. Course now I'm buying more food from the health food store instead of lots of ice team and Chinese buffets, so I really think its about the same as before. After these bills are paid, anyway.

I am probably still in the hole at 18 weeks out. I spent about $3000 out of pocket so far. I don't think I have saved anywhere near that much on food. Plus, I have run through all my "fat" clothes and have started having to buy "less fat" clothes. I was buying fat clothes at Dillards from the clearance rack dirt cheap. I am talking about Ralph Lauren pants for $7. Turns out they don't discount regular size clothing as steeply. I hate spending money on stuff that is not going to fit in a month so I am going to hit a consignment store. I only take thyroid meds so I haven't saved any money there. I am also anticipating a savings on future medical expenses. I imagine I will save a fortune when I don't get diabetes or heart disease.

As I prepare for my July surgery date I can't help but wonder if having the surgery helps with saving money. I would think that post surgery the dining out would decrease substantially along with the portion sizes and gas station sodas, etc. Have any of you noticed some cost savings?

I would definitely say so. One restaurant order usually results in 2 (sometimes 3) meals in leftovers. My wife started taking home more leftovers as a result of me doing it.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I'm definitely looking forward to saving some money on food purchases but I'm also kinda looking forward to having to buy smaller clothes. That's a good trade off for me. ;)