Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2007 bandsters!

I was just banded on 2/19 and a friend of mine found a protien shake at GNC that is really good! It is called "50 Gram Slam" and contains 50 grams of Protein and is very low in sugar! The chocolate is good but the creamy vanilla is delicous. It comes in 15oz. cans that I know of...that is what she brought me. I havent' been to the GNC store to see what flavors they offer but they can be bought in individual cans so you can try them without being out too much $$$. I am also drinking Slim Fast Low-Carb which has 20 grams of protein per shake. Not bad. Good luck finding something that works for you!

I was taking the Slim Fast Optima (15g protein) - but goodness it tastes so nasty now.

I was taking the Slim Fast Optima (15g protein) - but goodness it tastes so nasty now.

I like the "50 Gram Slam" better. It isn't as thick either so I think that helps too. My dietician put me on the Slim Fast Low-Carb because it has the highest Protein and less sugar. It is o.k. but....well...you know! The creamy vanilla tasted like a good vanilla ice cream shake which I love! The chocolate did not leave me with the warm fuzzies but to each his own! Again, best wishes in that department. Right now I am on Stage 1 (clear liquids and protien shakes) but have been cleared to Stage 2 this weekend (thicker liquids, creamed soups/blended or strained, yogurts, f.f. pudding...) I am looking forward to the variety!

Kelsey, you had all that surgery together!!? No wonder you don't feel well yet. Take it easy and rest. It hasn't been that long for all you had done. Take care.

I too have had the pain under the left ribs, and in the left shoulder. I was put back on my pain meds, which seems to help. Today, 1 week and two days after surgery, is the first day I have not had the pain.

I asked my doctor about it today, and he felt that gas or trapped air only hurts for a day or two, but it may be some drainage that is irritating the phrenic nerve.

I gained 10 lbs. after my choley. in November. I was told it was all of the IV fluids I had gotten.

:omg: My surgery is scheduled for 2/26. I have control issues am am quite nervous about going under. They said they'd give me something to relax prior to going in. I hope it works well.

I am a control freak and I was sooooo nervous about going under. The doctor gave me a "cocktail" as we were going to surgery. I dont know what it was but I felt fine. It was breeze thru the surgery.

Somone mentioned a sleep aid after the surgery? Did your primary prescribe it or did your surgeon? I think that'd be best for me the first couple days.

I was banded on the this past Tuesday, the 20th. Last night was the first night I slept thru the night without waking up :notagree . The first few nights I kept waking up because I was not comfortable sleeping with all the pillows behind my back, proping me up. I am not a pillow person. I didnt feel that I needed a sleeping pill though. You might not either. It also depends on what pain killer the doctor gives you. My doctor gave me Toradol. Other doctors give things such as percocet and vicodin. Those would also knock you out. Talk it over with your doctor.

How long is everyone planning on taking off work? I am taking 2/26-3/15 off and returning on the 16th due to my line of work (Police).

I am scheduled to take two weeks off. Being an officer you might need a bit more time. My doctor told me not to do any strenuous work for four to six weeks. I work sitting at a desk all day :ranger: , that is why I am only taking two weeks. It is really up to your body and how fast you can heal.

I am not having much pain today other than the gas pain. The only problem that I am having is apparently I am allergic to the adhesive from the steri-strips. I spoke to the doctor's office today. They said all I can do is get benadryl and hopefully the rash to go away. I have lost a bit of weight since the surgery. I know I am not getting hardly any calories. I am not hungry at all. I am making sure that I am getting plenty of fluids, I drink more than a gallon a day. If I dont, I get a really bad headache on the left side of my head. I am drinking a lot of Water and Crystal Light. (God I love that stuff, especially the fruit punch.) I am also drinking my Protein Drink. I am having to force myself to drink it.

I am glad to hear that everyone newly banded is doing good. My first week is half-way over. :wow2:

Synical Chick:

I had had a hysterectomy 16 years ago and apparently ALOT of scarring (adhesions) so when Dr.K. went and put in the laprascopy he punctured my colon which was adhered to my stomach. Not his fault, not my fault but I must go back to get banded after my colon heals.

But the good thing is I won't be afraid next time I go in because the surgery is a cake walk. I went shopping went I left the hosp. and I could be taking regular tylenol for the discomfort (no pain~just sore) but they need to see an accurate temperature on my body watching for an infection from the colon thing.

*sighs*

can you believe i'm hungry?! not just head hungry (which, boy was i during my hubby's dinner... and i don't even like meatloaf!!!) BUT i have actual tummy grumbles... that is so uncomfortable! i emailed dr. miranda (i used dr. ortiz) about what do to do handle this... but, in the meanwhile, anyone have any advice?!?!?

p.s. very happy to be in bandland... so far! LOL!

Hi everyone

It is actually going pretty well. We got home yesterday late afternoon. I am having some gas pains, but the surgical sites are surprisingly nontender. LOL, I am a stomach sleeper and that is not happening yet :) We will continue on the Optifast 3 -4 times a day for 3 weeks with added Protein Powder and Clear Liquids as tolerated. I am definitely drinking a lot slower, I can feel the restriction and it lets you know when it is enough!

The surgeon closed the incision sites with durabond, so we were able to shower before we left the hospital, and I think a nice warm shower sounds good now, so I am going to go do that. I feel like Feb. 21st, 2007 is a new birthday for me, it is the start of a slimmer and healthier life for me and my friend that had the surgery with me.

Jean

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Hey Sugarbear, I don't know who you are referring to re the week after band removal, But when I was banded the hospital staff told me about a man who was banded, and requested to have it removed the next day!:) The surgical team had to do it, due to patient rights etc. What a waste of time and money!

Hey Feb bandsters, have any of you forgotten to sip your fluids and have chugged it accidently? It is summer here and I was so hot that I forgot to sip the Water. I felt no ill effects from it, I just felt stupid. Anybody else done this?

Susannah

Gday Babygrl, How is it all going? So I am not the only one who forgets to sip?:biggrin1: I feel less of an idiot then. I have started back at work, so I have less time to post. I try to check in here when I can. Susannah

Yeah me too. I have been so busy. I really need to get a fill because I am just not getting filled up with the food I am eating.

Oh and can you believe that there are some people in my suport group who still use Optifast after surgery as a protien drink. Ewww. lol

I too have been drining faster than I was told to. My fill is not until the end of March, so I better get my act together! Still hungry, in both ways, Every morning I tell myself that I can do this, then later start to feel the resolve slip away.

Come on Lee, you gotta make this work!

*KNOCKS* is this thing on?

anyone out there?! i'm sure SOMEONE must have gone through this... really, i'm going nuts over here. any helpful advice?! please?!?

:cry