Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2007 bandsters!

I'm going to call tomorrow for a fill appointment. I finally feel better. It's been a month today since surgery. It really took me longer to get well....maybe because I'm so old.... But, I'm ready for a fill...I'll let you know when it is>>>>I'm a little scared!!

Michele

Hey Teach, I will be interested in how your fill goes. I too am old, banded since 2/12, and seemed to take a long time to "get back into the swing of things." I was scheduled for my first fill next Tues. but I had to cancel and reschedule for 3/30. I am a little apprehensive due to extreme swelling with the surgery so I am hoping I don't have the same response with a fill. It seems like sometimes I can eat too much and sometimes it seems like I can't eat enough.:)

Kelsy - I know what you mean about getting the Protein in. After years of trying not to eat and putting off eating as long as I could now it seems like I am force feeding myself.:rolleyes What to do?

Good Journey Everyone,

Terri

Kelsey, Try a drink with at least 15 grams of protien and 110 to 190 cal., like Slimfast High Protien,Atkins, Advantage, etc..... I don't think the Carnation Breakfast has much protien if I remember right?!? Hope this helps, Sunnysea

Hi Terri....Got my first fill appointment for 3/22!! I'll let everyone know how it goes! I am so hungry today...I could eat the horse and the pony as a side dish. I finally feel better...not alot of pain. Some of you youngin's got over the pain part so quickly....it's taken me a month to feel better. But, finally, I feel like myself again. YEA

Question for you Sunnysea...if you drink the Protein shakes..do you substitute them for meals or drink in between meals???

I just got home from my 2 week post op appt. and I was shocked to find out that I have lost 19lbs since my surgery day of 2/28!!!! My Dr. looked at it and asked if he was seeing the chart right!!! He was very happy and said that obviously the tiny bit of Fluid that he put in my band on surgery day helped out a lot. He also said that I wouldnt be needing a fill anytime soon since I obviously had some restriction. I am soooo happy with this band!!

Kathy

Hi to all you beautiful February bandsters!

I hope all are well. I had my surgery on 2/19 and am doing very well. I have lost 23 pounds and am really starting to see some changes. I didn't tell many people at work..I am a school nurse and wasn't ready for all the comments, horror stories, etc. Once I went back (a week later) I felt much more comfortable telling my co workers. So far, people have been curious, but very supportive.

I have had some difficulty with the appetite..I'm really not hungry and have been struggling with getting all the Protein in. I love the clear Isopure drinks! The only downside that I can see this far is that I still don't have a lot of energy. At the end of school I am tired! I also had a bout of the stomach virus that hit our school hard, but managed OK. :sick Has anyone else experienced the fatigue? I do get about 60 gms. of protein a day, but am certainly not back to my pre surgery energy level.

I am also 15 days post op and have noticed the fatigue...even with the cpap, and vitamins...if you find out the deal please let me know....I am not back to work yet and see the Dr next week....am also NOT having much restriction at all..:notagree

I was banded on 2/19 also and have lost 21 pounds. I'm so hungry!!!!! I've also been fighting the tiredness and fatigue. I'm trying hard to get in my 60 gr of protien a day. My doc told me to eat the 3 meals (1/2 cup soft food) and supplement with 1 Protein Shake a day. That amount of food is not even beginning to be the least bit satisfying and on top of that the scales just aren't moving. Its been over a week since I've seen any change at all and I haven't had more than 1100 calories a day on average. If we don't have any restriction at this point, why do we have to limit our food intake so drastically? I keep hearing that when the band is filled, that's when we'll start seeing results and won't be hungry anymore. Is that right? Please tell me it is, or what is the point of going through all this?

Teacher, I know that every Dr. and Nutritionist have differant ideas. Mine tells me to drink 1 cup of a high-protein supplement between each meal and another before bed (3 cups total). Choose a Protein supplement with 15-20 g of protein per serving and 100-150 calories (Carb Solutions, Edge Body for Life, Atkins shake, or Slim Fast High Protein. And to stay well hydrated, sip Water or a calorie-free beverage (crystal light or sugar-free tea) between meals, after your protein supplement. Try to consume 30 ounces a day of water at one sip a minute. I am new to this so I have been consuming my Protein Shakes but I know that some of the others that had their surgery by Dr. Kirshenbaum don't follow this. I think for now it is helping me get my protein in. I cannot sip it slowly nor can I sip water every minute all day! So i just do the best I can getting my fluids in. I think the protein shakes will help keep hunger down between meals, I'm not sure what I will do as time goes on?!?! I did find that I like the Body For Life shakes and they have 17g protein and 110 calories. Sunnysea

Hi all, I'm a January bandster....can totally sympathize with the hunger and the tired feelings! My doctor didn't put a lot of restrictions on pre fill diet so I tried to eat at least 1000 calories but what I really watched was the protein....at least 70 each day! The first 5 days or so after surgery I was so tired, talked to my nutritionist and that is what she recommended. Within a day or two after raising my Protein intake I started getting energy back. As for replacing meals with energy drinks...I didn't, ate small meals and had Protein Drinks or a small food choice with lots of protein in it for Snacks in between meals. This is a huge change for your brain and your body, it's going to take time, kick back and enjoy the ride! I know it seems hard but it will be worth it in the end.

ALso, when I was eating under 900 calories I didn't lose weight. Seems as though I have to have at least 1200 calories to lose on a regular basis. I've averaged 3.1 pounds a week since the first of the year.

Hi everyone!

It's good to see that you all are doing so well. I suppose I will post something since I haven't in a while. I had my first fill today. It wasn't bad as I thought it would be.......actually now that I think about it it didn't hurt one bit. I am one month and two days post-op. I was ready for the fill, I was definitley feeling hungry all the time. These last three weeks have been rough. My mom was banded at the same time as me, however a week out of surgery she came down with multiple DVT's (deep vein Thrombosis) or blood clots. She was in the hospital for a week and since then she has been in a nursing home trying to get her strength back, however last week she came down with more blood clots in her other leg. So she hasn't been doing so hot. They did determine that the clots weren't caused by the surgery though. She may be in there for another two weeks to a month. It has been difficult for me since I lost my support buddy. Anyways, I received a 1cc fill today, like I said it didn't hurt at all, though it did feel awkard as it was being filled. I have lost 17 pounds and hoping to lose alot more with this fill. Well I'm glad to hear everyone is doing great, some of you have had tremendous weight loss, I would probably be down more, but I didn't have to do the pre-op diet. Good luck Everyone!

I have had some difficulty with the appetite..I'm really not hungry and have been struggling with getting all the Protein in. I love the clear Isopure drinks! The only downside that I can see this far is that I still don't have a lot of energy. At the end of school I am tired! I also had a bout of the stomach virus that hit our school hard, but managed OK. :sick Has anyone else experienced the fatigue? I do get about 60 gms. of protein a day, but am certainly not back to my pre surgery energy level.

At last somebody else NOT hungry!! I thought I was the only one… :paranoid I struggle every day to eat the 3 meals required, never mind suck down my Water & daily Protein Shake (also Isopure, though I can't say I love the shakes or the bottled drinks). My 1<SUP>st</SUP> fill is supposed to be on March 29<SUP>th</SUP>, but they will hold off if I am still feeling satiated after a 1/4 to 1/3 cup serving size. I do have my moments of mental hunger, but I cannot imagine more restriction at meals than I have now – unfilled! :fear:

I’m exactly 1-month out from my surgery. Still, I only lost 24 pounds in the 29 days since getting my band. That’s great on one hand, but disheartening compared to the progress of some other Feb.Bandsters here!! I’ve only eaten things approved by my doc & WLS dietician (with the exception of a bit of ice cream at a party last weekend). I’m drinking water & Protein Shakes, but not with my meals. I’m taking my Vitamins. All in all, I’ve been a good girl. So, why's it coming off so slowly? :noidea:

And I’m exhausted, too! :tired I feel great, physically (aside from some occasional port pain, which I was told is normal). I’m able to take care of my babies and exercise on our treadmill. At the end of the day though, I'm done - wiped! And I’ve got no pep. Even less pep than I had prior to the surgery that was supposed to be my tool to get back my pep & some vinegar, too! :-P But remember, we’re post-op here!! It’s not like we each didn’t have major abdominal surgery! It will take some time. And in that time, we’re loosing weight, which ought to make the “all better” state that much more refreshing when it finally comes! (Right???)

Hang in there everyone… We’re each going though our own thing with our bands, but we’re going though it together. That makes all the difference. I can’t tell y’all how much I look forward to reading new posts here…

I’m adrift on a sea of protein shakes and LapBandTalk is my lifeline!:(

I need to know if anyone has the lap band VG placed. It's the largest of the 3 sizes and I don't feel any restrictions at all. I do get full quicker, but can eat anything. bread included. I've had nothing stick at all,and can even gulp fluids. Why? I'm having to use alot of self control until my first fill April 10th. I was banded in 2/28. My fills are 2cc at a time since my band holds 10cc total. I kinda blocked this part of the seminar out thinking that it did not pretain to me and now here I am, does anyone know anything else?

I just added you Hope! congrats! :(

Mirissa: WOW, I had no idea about your mom! Giver her our best... glad her situation is not band related, but it is still scarey.. I mean heck.. It's YOUR MOM!! You sound like your doing great though....

Everyone else: I'm so proud of you.. I can NOT wait to join you in bandland!!! (6 weeks from yesterday)