Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confessions: I went on a food rampage

:(

So surgery is only 13 days away..and I don't know why the last few days have been so difficult....

Since I got my approval I've been pretty good not perfect but waaaay better then ever before about my diet...and earlier this month I started replacing Breakfast with protien shakes...but Tues I fell off the band wagon..HARD!!...

It started with dinner where I ordered coconut shrimp, lobster stuffed mushrooms & shrimp cocktail appetizer, a bowl of clam chowder and a mojito (oh and I ate all the biscuits in the bread basket)..then that night I took a coffee with sugar and a coke to my class (i'm studying nights for my MBA)..

On Wed I did protien shakes for Breakfast and lunch, but then went out to dinner with a coworker had rice, short ribs and a beer....

Today I had a Protein shake for breakfast, and an Apple..lunch I had chicken Caesar salad and tomatoe bisque Soup but tonight erg I had 2 beef ribs, baked Beans macaroni salad and a coke...

Honestly I feel gross and I'm disappointed in myself...I know I'm ready for this journey, so why am I slipping now right before its going to happen?

Seems I needed to confess my preop food sins.. I guess I'm just looking for support, does anyone have tips on how to get back on track..anyone else go through something like this so close to the "starting line?"...

I guess I need to just suck it up and recommit now bc my official preop liquid diet starts on the 20th...

I did all this the month before but did not cheat on the pre op at ALL. Don't cheat on it because this part is very hard but oh so important. Best of luck to you.

I have a friend that was banded. Her surgeon told her to eat all the things she loved in the weeks before the surgery. My dietitian told me not to worry too much about weight before I start the preop diet, but just to try to be about the same weight as when I did my consult. I wouldn't recommend having a 2-week "food funeral", but I wouldn't try to over restrict yourself, either. Try not to be too hard on yourself, I'm sure you've done enough of that already, just try to keep it within reason. I'm sure at this point, you're probably in a "farewell, old friend" mindset.

Best of luck!

This is the week before you have to start your pre-op liquid diet. I think what you're doing is normal, I know that even though my surgery is at the end of July, I am eating stuff that I know that I'll miss. I'm not doing it every day - but i'm drinking my diet pop, am having my occasional beer, eating smoked sausage etc. This is your food funeral and its all good. Better now than wanting to do it after you're sleeved and committed. :D

It takes time to establish good eating habits you can stick with, and that's what surgery gives us. Believe you me, making cupcakes was a tall order two weeks post op, but my sleeve won't allow much room for caving, and knowing that helps. It will be okay.

I did the same thing, ate pretty much anything I wanted to for the last month. However, I never ate to the point where I gained any of the weight back that I had lost. I have been on my pre-op. diet for 4 days now and I feel really good about it. I haven't even had the urge to cheat. If I can do it anyone can, stay strong!!

Thanks everyone, I'm going to stop beating myself up about this...if its a food funeral maybe I can catch it before it becomes a two week funeral procession lol..... and your right fewer little cheats now may help me let go of the mental food cravings later...

Definitely no cheats during the preop diet! I don't want any complications from liver nicks during the surgery, or go through sugar withdrawal post op

Everyone goes thru the same thing. 2 days before surgery I went to my favorite diner and ordered all of my favorites. I was very surprised to see I had not gained an ounce. I am not telling you, in anyway to keep eating but done feel like you are alone. If it makes you feel better you will still be able to eat your favorites. Once you go thru the first few weeks after surgery you will then again begin to get back on your old eating (just not the same portions). I have klearned the trick is to use a sandwich plate. It make your mind think you have a whole plate of food. That is the best idea I picked up. Remind yourself you really want this and need to teach yourself control. Maybe you should stay away from restaurants until after surgery and you will see no more cravings. Keep yourself active by starting a journal, then you will be able to see what triggers there binges. Good luck to you in the following weeks.

Your prep diet is important in order to shrink your fatty liver. This part of the process is really important. It is only a couple of weeks, look deep and find the stuff you need to choose to do yourself justice here.

You will be able to eat that stuff again. It may take some time, but there is no need for a food funeral. I had a mojito recently and it was awesome. The pre OP diet will past it is just a couple of short weeks of a long life. Find the resolve in yourself.

The post OP diet will pass. It is just a few months in a long, wonderful life. You can do it.