Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I pay for an insurance plan that will cover the sleeve?

I have BC/BS of Al. & they won't pay for it. Can I just find another insurance & pay for their coverage? Does anyone know of a specific company to use?

I have BCBS of KS and same thing.....won't cover. I am interested to see the responses you get. If anyone else has purchased a separate Insurance policy for their sleeve. :rolleyes:

Yes, I have been so discouraged! I am willing to change my family plan to another carrier. But I just don't know who to talk to. I do realize it might be more expensive to change since this BC is through my job. But I'm still open to changing. I'm sorry you're experiencing the same disappointment! Hopefully the right person/people will see this & offer some hope!

Most companies offer open enrollment of Insurance one month of each year.

If they have other insurance options to pick from, take a look if its covered. Another option is get a separate health insurance policy just for you, that covers the surgery. (keep your family on BCBS).

I was originally covered by my husband's insurance, which didn't cover wls. The insurance company, for my company did cover wls, so I was lucky enough to plan and get on board with them through open enrollment.

And this is my own opinion, I would think the premiums for an independent insurance policy would be pretty expensive, it might just be cheaper to go to Mexico.

If you are going to pay for the expense of a plan, to make you pay for alot of things out of pocket, save the money and do self pay. Just a suggestion.

I was originally covered by my husband's insurance' date=' which didn't cover wls. The insurance company, for my company did cover wls, so I was lucky enough to plan and get on board with them through open enrollment.

And this is my own opinion, I would think the premiums for an independent insurance policy would be pretty expensive, it might just be cheaper to go to Mexico.[/quote']

I ended up going to Mx in March because it was excluded from all my insurance options.

I chose a higher priced surgeon. The price range is between 4k to 10k. My surgeon was 8750. Worth every penny.

That is why I was thinking that the price you would be paying for an individual policy, it would be way worth it to pay out of pocket :)

Ok hear me out on this may seem far fetched but it is doable. I have been in the health field for over 10 years, so I know how the system works. The one cost you will have out of pocket at first will be your surgeon, which can be anywhere from 3k-5k, depending on your surgeon. The surgeon will want his money up front first (normally). However, the hospital and anethesiologist will probably take payments or offer a payment plan. Call the hospital and speak with financial counseling at the hospital and see what they offer. This way you can have the surgery stateside if you don't want to go elsewhere. It is worth a shot.

I have BCBS of Alabama too, but they don't have an exclusion for weight loss surgery under certain conditions, such as being morbidly obese. I'm going for it. If they deny, I'll just appeal, and keep appealing until they do a peer review. If the peer review denies it, I'll head to Mexico, but I'd rather do it here in the states.

I'm getting desperate...I feel my health going downhill. My legs hurt. I'm going to try to exercise in the local health fitness pool, and I went to get a swimsuit today. Ugh...so incredibly depressing... couldn't find one that fit that didn't look like crap.

My understanding (from my own experience and research is that independent insurance policies (ALL OF THEM, NO MATTER WHAT THE CARRIER) does not include WLS in their offerings. I was also told by insurance agents that it is customary that WLS is only an option if you 1) have a group (company) policy and 2) that the company that you or your spouse works for need to have at least 100 people or more working for it. Sucks, I know. I am very salty about this...

I ended up paying out of pocket. My insurance does cover wls, but only bypass and band (I wanted neither, for all the various reasons everyone else has chosen the sleeve over the other options). At least it lets me skip the 6 month medically monitored diet (because it's not like I haven't done that before...) This allowed me to get all my requirements done in about 10 days, and the only delay in my appointment for surgery was scheduling availability. It would have taken me 7-8 months to have the surgery if I had to comply with my insurance's requirements. I'm looking at 8 weeks for paying out of pocket.

Not possible. I called lots of insurance companies and they all said no. I'm self employed and would have had to sell my business and get a job at a company that has insurance that covers wls. In other words I was self pay!

I am self employed, and my husbands insurance doeant not cover wls. I havent had insurance in over 10 years. I was given information on the pcip insurance program for my state of Texas. If you cannot be covered by insurance, which all that i tried I didn't meet weight requirements, and you haven't had insurance in the last 6 months, this will cover you and it covers wls. Its around $200 a month. Www.pcip.gov hope this helps.

Curveyweezie, thanks so much for you info. This is great to know! THey have closed enrollment for the remainder of 2013 but 2014 could be an option!