Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does hair loss ALWAYS happen?

I have read many stories of hairloss and or thinning from 3 months out to stopping around 6 to 7mo. Do ALL experience this? I get over 80 Proteins a day and take Biotin 10,000 mcg plus all post op prescriptions. I understand balding won't occur but thinning. Just trying to brace for the storm>

I have read many stories of hairloss and or thinning from 3 months out to stopping around 6 to 7mo. Do ALL experience this? I get over 80 Proteins a day and take Biotin 10' date='000 mcg plus all post op prescriptions. I understand balding won't occur but thinning. Just trying to brace for the storm>[/quote']

Almost always....in fact I haven't heard ANYONE say they didn't have some hair loss. (thinning or shedding) It is due to the anesthesia and extreme decrease in caloric intake. Which causes the weight loss. Of course, getting the Protein in helps to decrease the Hair loss. Biotin makes what you have grow longer, as well as, the new growth. It comes back. Which may not make us feel better when it's falling out, but gotta take the good with the bad. Myself I can deal with it to lose all the unwanted pounds and to feel healthy again.

Wonder if Plication would have been a better choice. I know.... done is done. At least it isn't permanent

Wonder if Plication would have been a better choice. I know.... done is done. At least it isn't permanent

It probably would of been the same....

At 4 months mine started. Now at seven months it's stopped. I thought it was really noticeable but no one else seems to notice :)

Now thats good news.! I have thick hair but not looking forward to that part at all! So much for this long bob haircut hee hee Thanks Girls!

I started around 2-3 months post op and at 6 months still shedding but it had slowed down some. It was scary for a while bcuz in the shower it was so much:-( I'm praying this stops soon! Thank God I have lots of hair!

highest weight 224#<br />sx weight 213# (11/20/12)<br />current weight 155.2#(6/11)

I'm not sure why but I didn't have any Hair loss. I'm 10 months out

I'm 5 months post op and have lost about a basketball size of hair!!! I cried a lot! I can't part my hair because there is bald spots everywhere I part. I wear my hair EVERYDAY pulled up in a messy ponytail to hide the baldness. My hair was very thin to start with and I can't believe all the hair I've lost. Sure hope it stops before I'm completely bald!

I have read many stories of hairloss and or thinning from 3 months out to stopping around 6 to 7mo. Do ALL experience this? I get over 80 Proteins a day and take Biotin 10' date='000 mcg plus all post op prescriptions. I understand balding won't occur but thinning. Just trying to brace for the storm>[/quote']

I am still in the pre op stage but i plan to take prenatal Vitamins and maybe wear a weave for several months. I hope that helps. I'm just afraid when I take the weave out what it will look like. Yikes!!

I started taking Biotin a couple of months before surgery, I never lost any hair, no thinning. Nothing. Hair was just fine, nails were great! I am three years out and I still take it, just because. I had two goals when I started on this journey, lose weight and lose no hair. I managed to do both, it is possible. I don't know if Biotin deserves the credit or if I was just lucky, but I know it didn't hurt me.

I think you were just lucky, because I did the exact same thing and shed like Lassie :). Started growing back about a year post-op and got back to normal quickly.