Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 5:2 diet

Today is not a fast day for me. But I did stay at the same weight today. I had a good 4th of July and ended up preparing grilled chicken and Ceviche, with veggies and a salad. Daughter was not happy bc we had no hamburger and hot dogs. Oh well, can't please everyone. The meal was really healthy and I realized that I am always basically eating peanuts, yogurt, and those Quest bars. Not really having meals. Maybe that's why I'm grazing all day....Will start preparing foods for lunch and dinner, no more grabbing and going, time to sit down and enjoy the meal.... :P

Not understanding what the 5:2 diet is' date=' but if it involves fasting how does it help with what is being taught by those of the sleeve to get your Protein first? And that would be Protein everyday right?[/quote']

The 5:2 diet is for vets who are at least a year out and to help them finally meet their goal or to help maintain their weight. Its not for people who have been sleeved say, less than a year.

I just wanted to say I'm proud of all of us! This is not an easy journey ( I hate the phrase journey) for anyone. But we are doing it. There are good days and there are some really rough ones. I've spent so many years learning about myself and why I do the things I do. As I'm sure we all have.. But having the reasons and answers does not make the day by day easier sometimes.

Yes yesterday was rough :P

Anyway hope everyone has a good day

Oh. I almost forgot, still down the two pounds.

So this might be my new mark to grasp at and try to move lower from :)

I know! The rat!!! But it sure lifts your spirits! Lol. Down another 2 this morning. That makes 17 for me. I had honestly given up on the ability to lose again. Hard work is paying off and oddly enough, I'm finding it exhilarating at the same time! Crazy, I know, but accomplishing something again and finding a way to eat NORMAL without really depriving myself (low carb) is encouraging.

And wanted you to know your calm reasoning with others is delightful to me. :)

Way to rock it Georgia, you are doing amazing!!

Hope everyone had a good 4th - we just lounged around and stayed lazy. It was nice.

Today's another normal day. I'll fast tomorrow. I'm holding steady on the scale, which puts me down 2 pounds for the week so far. If that's true and it stays, I'm okay with that, even if it puts me up over last week.

I'm having trouble getting my Water in lately. No interest. I think nearly three years of pushing it every day and I'm just tired of it, so I'm going to challenge myself and try to get in at least 64 oz. each day for the rest of this week. Maybe it'll be habit again after that.

Hope you all have a great day. Fridays are busy for me - I make homemade bread every Friday morning and then we do a big dinner. Well, it's a big dinner for everyone but me because I always eat the same amount of food. Anyway, I'm off to start my day in the kitchen. With a big cup of Water, of course.

~Cheri

A loss, no matter how big or small, is still a loss! That is awesome! And good for you for baking bread. I love to bake, but I can't because then I eat it!! Mmmm, I love fresh bread smeared with butter....

I suck. I'm feeling pretty crap right now. Been doing the 5:2 for four weeks and haven't lost, or lost then gained back plus more. Then today was fast day, did well all day then ate like 800 cals for dinner/dessert, including loads of chocolate for total cals well over 1000 fir the day. I am seriously concerned about my big fat stomach and way discouraged. For the first time in nearly three years. :-(((((

A loss' date=' no matter how big or small, is still a loss! That is awesome! And good for you for baking bread. I love to bake, but I can't because then I eat it!! Mmmm, I love fresh bread smeared with butter....[/quote']

You and me both! Cheri I give you credit for being able bake bread, what lucky family you have. It's my weakness ( ok one of many) fresh bread.... Yummy.

I did really well on my first fast day but I've gained back what I lost . It is a holiday weekend though. I still have hopes that I'll be able to do this. I noticed after the fast day, the next day, I didn't feel the need to graze.

I'm anxious to get this holiday weekend out of the way and see how it goes next week. I have to lose 10 lbs and that's all there is to it.!

I did really well on my first fast day but I've gained back what I lost . It is a holiday weekend though. I still have hopes that I'll be able to do this. I noticed after the fast day' date=' the next day, I didn't feel the need to graze.

I'm anxious to get this holiday weekend out of the way and see how it goes next week. I have to lose 10 lbs and that's all there is to it.![/quote']

And you will,,,

thanks! It's so hard to remember not to stick things in my mouth mindlessly, in between meals. I must be vigilant!

thanks! It's so hard to remember not to stick things in my mouth mindlessly' date=' in between meals. I must be vigilant![/quote']

Remember, you ha e done it for SEVEN years! What an accomplishment. You got this!

I suck. I'm feeling pretty crap right now. Been doing the 5:2 for four weeks and haven't lost, or lost then gained back plus more. Then today was fast day, did well all day then ate like 800 cals for dinner/dessert, including loads of chocolate for total cals well over 1000 fir the day. I am seriously concerned about my big fat stomach and way discouraged. For the first time in nearly three years. :-(((((

Sometimes upping the calories isn't such a bad thing after all....It causes an increase in Leptin Hormones which can help with our fat burning. tomorrow you can do a fast day an it will fall off. You got this...... :)

Sometimes upping the calories isn't such a bad thing after all....It causes an increase in Leptin Hormones which can help with our fat burning. tomorrow you can do a fast day an it will fall off. You got this...... :)

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can! Yup, YOU CAN!! Go, Girl!

I did really well on my first fast day but I've gained back what I lost .

I lost a lot my first week and regained almost all of it right away. It was odd, but it seems now that my body has "settled in" so to speak and unless something changes tomorrow, I'll have lost 2 pounds this week. So, my point is to hang in there and see how it goes! I've noticed more scale fluctuation (and that's saying something because my scale is always all over the place) with 5:2 so it's possible that you're experiencing the same.

~Cheri

So, I love to bake, it's what I do for fun. Have you ever prepared that big Thanksgiving or Holiday feast and by the time you're ready for dinner you don't even want to eat? That's how I am about my cooking and baking. It's a blessing. I bake two or three days every week; my kids will not eat commercial bread no matter what I buy. It's a habit I got into living in Kyrgyzstan, where I was forced to bake whatever we wanted, because the only local bread was round, chewy lepyoshka!

There are only a handful of things that I make that I'm tempted to eat more than one or two of, and I usually don't keep them in the house long. I take my portion, give the family some and treat my husband's coworkers to the rest.

And yes, my kids are spoiled. My son thinks that I can make anything he wants and his future wife will probably hate me.

I did a regular day today but I find that these hot, muggy days (I am NOT complaining, at least it's sunny outside!!) make me not have much appetite. I'm reaching my calories, but I won't lie, I'm not sure I'm doing it the "best" way. I've had a small dessert each night this week. I'm down two tenths of a pound from yesterday and expect to log a two or three pound loss this week so it's not hurting me.

What are your opinions on this? Calories are calories and the way I felt most happy in maintenance before was to enjoy what I wanted to eat. So long as I don't need to eat something, I feel okay having it as a treat. For instance, soda stays out of my house except for special occasions. I cannot stop drinking it and drinking it makes me want those foods I used to eat with it - namely, popcorn or french fries. It's empty calories (I hate diet) and I could easily drink an extra 600-800 calories a day if I kept it in the house.

But I made a Chicago style cheesecake last night. I had a tiny sliver and I was fine. Less than 100 calories for my portion, I enjoyed it, I was satisfied and frankly, I have no interest in the remaining four slices in the fridge.

So for me, that's an okay food.

How do you guys deal with "not perfect" food choices in your house? Are most of you all or nothing or are you similar to me in this? I'm just curious where we all are.

I do wonder, if much like oregondaisy, I'll find my fourth year more challenging with respect to maintenance and moderation.

~Cheri