Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 5:2 diet

Can somebody just give me a quick recap of the diet? I haven't had time to read all 10 pages. I know it's fasting 2 days out of 7. There's something about a 12 hour window of when you can eat?

On the fast days we can have Protein Shakes?

Can somebody just give me a quick recap of the diet? I haven't had time to read all 10 pages. I know it's fasting 2 days out of 7. There's something about a 12 hour window of when you can eat?

FastDiet is 5:2. Five "normal" days. 2 Fast days withal 500 calories. Book says 25% of TTEE bit sleevers generally don't eat the 2000 they base the 500 on. We are all following the 500 women/600 men method. Better to NOT be consecutive for us. 12 hour "rest" preferred for maximum fat burning. For example, the day before your fast you eat at 7pm nothing else till morning. If you ate at Breakfast at 7 you would have a 12 hour window. Eat your small meal, Protein Shake or whatever works for you (I do oats) others do Greek yogurt, eggs, cheese/veggies. If you need to small snack mid day then dinner 7 or so. No more then you would have another 12 hour window Tim the next morning. I eat usually late morning or mid day who h means I have a longer rest to start then small snack and that leaves me around 300-350 calories for dinner. Grilled chicken stirfry, Tina salad, lean cuisine. Whatever works for you. Maybe some fresh fruit. Done. Then next day NORMAL for you. I fast Tues/Thurs. others do Mon/Thurs to spread out days. I have completed 3 weeks. Lost 14 pounds. Been lucky. Average weight loss 1-2 week. I am being very conscious of everything in ALL days. Logging all in MFP and exercising 30 mins ( big for me!) most days. Lifestyle. Don't even really think about it at this stage. Not hard for me at all. Others say otherwise. But THIS will be my maintenance. Once reach goal again (6-7 lbs) want to get down below to have 2-3 lb bounce and then it's just life or 6:1 if I think I can keep it off that way. I have small treats usually once a week during social events. I eat CLEAN and healthier and MUCH less on normal days. Sleeve has really shown up again and true hunger. There you have it. Hope that helps, Friend!

OD, there is some flexibility, but mostly people "fast/rest" on Monday and Ths... but whatever days work best for you..

NIght before, when you get done with dinner (the earlier the better, but I dont always eat early...) finish up and just consume Water, tea, flavor waters... sleep....

fast day- no more than 500 calories regular exercise if you have a routine, you can eat a small Breakfast or skip it, small lunch or skip it... the rest of the calories for dinner, then only drinks,

sleep.

Next day (feast day) eat regularly. The plan calls for TDEE, but most here are eating like they would regularlay... 1200+ a day. Regular exercise(if you do it) until you get to your next fast/rest day, and repeat.

It is supposed to be good to do exercise during the fast, then eat after. I have a Protein Drink mixed in a Decaf over ice on fast days, veggies and maybe a laughing cow for lunch/snack and a 260 cal dinner, heavy on the veggies. Keep it low glycemic index on fast days. Try to get in 50 gms of Protein on fast days. More on regular days. The best tool in this box is "I can have what I want tomorrow" If your hungry.

This is called the two sleep or 36 hours fast.(aproximately 500 cals between when you stop eating on regular day and start eating the next regular day-36 hours) Making time for long stretches of non eating/resting/repair is the key....as well as the reduced calories. You can plan a more strict plan where you only eat in a small window later in the day on fast day, and only have liquid the rest of the time. There is some thought that non sweetened whey drinks are fine (do not break the fast) during fast time... especially after exercising, but count the calories. Hope that helps! Do read the links and such, it helps alot, and I may be full of s*it on one part or the other!

I just wanted to add I will be starting back up again on Tuesday.. If you want we can keep up with each other to go through the day together.

I think I will do my fasting on tues and thurs. I work all day on Mondays only and it would be more difficult. I'll see how it goes. Maybe being at work would be better and I would not think of food because I would be busier.

I've been thinking for a long time I want to do Protein Shakes only a couple days a week, so this really is perfect for me. My shakes are 120 calories each, so that still gives a little wiggle room for veggies.

Next Tuesday is 4th of July. But I'm still going to fast because I feel like a bloated mess right now from this vacation.

I'm sure it's going to be like starting over again the first day was kind of hard and it caught me by surprise..

Oh and the shakes are good but I really do better if I can have one meal of lean meat and veggies :)

I really want this to work . It's going to be hard for me to figure out how to best use my 500 calories. I would be so happy if I only lost 10 lbs so I should be able to make this work.

I just don't know how you do it with other family members. I told me bf ( I never know what to call him. He's 62 years old so bf seems kind of dumb. partner makes me sound like I am gay. I have nothing against that, but he's a man) Anyway, I told him he's going to have to eat out of the house. He drags all that sugar stuff home cause he can eat and not gain weight and eats sugar all day long.

I just hope once I get going, it won't take as much willpower, it will just come more naturally.

I really want this to work . It's going to be hard for me to figure out how to best use my 500 calories. I would be so happy if I only lost 10 lbs so I should be able to make this work.

I just don't know how you do it with other family members. I told me bf ( I never know what to call him. He's 62 years old so bf seems kind of dumb. partner makes me sound like I am gay. I have nothing against that' date=' but he's a man) Anyway, I told him he's going to have to eat out of the house. He drags all that sugar stuff home cause he can eat and not gain weight and eats sugar all day long.

I just hope once I get going, it won't take as much willpower, it will just come more naturally.[/quote']

The first day was hard! I live with a man that can eat anything and not gain weight also 0_o

And my kids have taken to going to the store themselves and buying chips because I won't buy junk food.

If shakes keep you satisfied then I would have one.

I start off eating at around 12:00 here's an example of one day.

post-43821-13813667200529_thumb.jpg

post-43821-13813667201141_thumb.jpg

post-43821-13813667201676_thumb.jpg

OregonDaisy, it is really good to plan what you are going to have. The first day I did it, I sort of winged it, and even though I managed to stay at the 500 calories, it was a struggle all day and I felt like garbage at night.

I found what works best for me is not eating breakfast. So I might have a later snack the night before, around 8 or 9, but then I don't eat until 12 or 1 the next day (extending the 12 hours). I usually have greek yogurt with berries and Fiber One Original. Then nothing until supper, which is usually chicken and veggies. Lately I have been coming in under the 500 calories and will have a small snack after supper even. Then I don't eat until 8 or 9 the next morning (depending if I had a snack the night before and what time). Now that I figured out what works for me, my fast days have actually been a breeze. I have been doing it for 2 weeks, first week I did Wed/Fri and then this week I switched to Mon/Thurs.

The good news, so far as of this morning, I am down 5 pounds since I started. And the craziest thing is that the last couple of weeks, my non-fast days have been out to lunch. We have had so many gatherings, family visiting, and my hubby and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary. I have eaten way more foods than what I normally eat, but still stuck to my fasting, and I am still losing. Not that I am suggesting reckless abandon on normal days, I plan on getting back to my normal routine starting today! If it hold, I am only 3 lbs from my happy weight that I was at before I started the medication that made me gain 8 pounds in 3 weeks! I am actually thinking I might stick to the 5:2 and see if I might get a little lower even, 3 or 4 lbs, but I will see!

The rest of us are going to Celebrate the 4th on Thursday....just saying.

Bahahaha! I thought the same thing!

Today is my fasting day. I've had a Quest bar for breakfast and a chobani yogurt with whipped cream for lunch. I will have Soup for dinner......I hope this works to get rid of at least 2 lbs......I just realized I had gained 7 lbs and that's just not acceptable to me. So fasting it is..... :P

I think I'm in my fourth week now? (I wish someone would keep track of stuff for me, cos I SUCK at it.) So today was my first fast day of the fourth week I guess. The eating days have sometimes been OTT, lots of social events and parties going on. I lost down to the point where my weight started with a 6 again...but then bounced right back up to nearly 72. So I can't tell if I've lost anything at all in the overall four weeks... That said, I like the fasting anyhow, and the feeling of having these days where food is my b*tch LOL. I am not finding it too hard to fast, though I do get a bit irritable from time to time. Maybe I should lay off the sugar on the eating days. I don't eat TONS of it, but it's not helping... Same for all the wine. Alas. I am sticking with this cos I like it, whether it 'works' or not -- how's that for a lifestyle change kind of diet??? Wow...

Workouts and walking and all that, per usual. No big whoop to do it on fast day at all.

ETA: I fast all day till at least 2 pm and have a small lunch, cos I like my dinner! So I hoard most of my calories for a proper dinner after a long hard day in the office...