Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does it ever go away?

I am having my surgery tomorrow and was on full liquids today and all I can think about is food. It's like I am obsessing over the fact that I won't be able to eat for x amount of days and I am terrified that I will still have this fixation on food even after the surgery. (I will be seeing a counselor to get to the bottom of my dependency on food)

I guess I am looking for someone to tell me it will all be okay. I am scared and nervous about tomorrow.

Old habits die hard, but I can tell you that for the 1st week post-op, I didn't ever feel hungry or want to eat. It was a real chore to do. And I was never happier about anything in my life! I'm still working on my old habit of eating when bored, but now, I don't have "head hunger" or stomach hunger pushing me to eat.

I am having my surgery tomorrow and was on full liquids today and all I can think about is food. It's like I am obsessing over the fact that I won't be able to eat for x amount of days and I am terrified that I will still have this fixation on food even after the surgery. (I will be seeing a counselor to get to the bottom of my dependency on food)

I guess I am looking for someone to tell me it will all be okay. I am scared and nervous about tomorrow.

For me as soon as I came out of surgery food was the last thing I wanted. I was thirsty!! But almost everyone I talked to said you won't be hungry after surgery and I thought no way of course ill be hungry but I wasn't. I am 18 days post op and still don't really want food. It'll get so much easier!! The hard part is getting to your surgery!! Good luck on your surgery and new life!!

Good luck tomorrow! You will do great! You will be fine afterwards, your full time job will be sipping and walking.

Like the posters above said, you won't be thinking about food. You will be amazed at what changes are in store for you. For the great!

I am 3 months out and know with every Fiber of my being, this was the best thing I have ever done for my health! Only regret is wish I would have done it sooner.

Check in when you can after you are on the loser's bench. :)

I'll let the experts tell you what it's like after surgery, but want to wish you good luck. And remember, one of the benefits of going with the sleeve isn't just the size restriction, but the removal of the part of the stomach that produces the ghrelin hunger hormone. So, the chances of you wanting food afterwards are very slim (pun most definitely intended!). Your stomach with be swollen and there will literally not be any space for food, plus you won't have the hormone impulses to drive hunger. On top of all that, you are going to be busy busy busy healing and getting plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.

Oh, and it seems that a repeating theme in posts is that frequently gas discomfort is mistaken for hunger, so you might have a look at that before assuming you are hungry after surgery. (I'm learning so much here!)

I also want to throw out a word of support with your therapy. There are so many things intertwined with being overweight and it can be super emotional. I think that you will learn a lot about yourself and your needs through this journey.

Sending you thoughts of support and comfort,

dd

Hunny...you are gonna do just fine...leading up to surgery day all you do is think of food...but afterward...all you think bout is LOSING! So dont worry things will just fine.

After surgery it is not the same. Do not judge per op to post op not the same you will look at food as work not pleasure .

You're going to do gret and even greater with the help of a counselor. Many ignore the need for help for their food addiction .. You are thinking right!

Honestly I was not hungry at all..... I didn't even want food. I had to focus just to get in all the liquid I needed. Best wishes with your surgery!

I am so relieved after reading all of the responses!! My surgery is at 9am, I will be leaving for the hospital in about an hour.

Thank you guys for the support!!!