Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best thing after surgery and whats been the hardest?

I'm only 5 weeks out so I might not really qualify here. I can say that the best thing this far is digging out clothes that I would have bet you they would be too tight only to find them to big to wear. The worst thing at 5 weeks is still trying to get in my fluids as well as working on teaching my brain not to fall back into stress eating habits. It all takes time and I'm forever grateful that I have had this opportunity.

I am 3 mos out. The best thing is not carrying an oxygen tank with me and the hardest was taking pills until I was okay end to swallow them at 6 wks. The Pre Op diet was actually the worst probably if we want to talk pre surgery.

Thank you all for such great responses! Loved reading them!

I love reading everyone's responses. I'm waiting for insurance approval and am getting so nervous!

I am 17 weeks out. The best things for me so far are: getting off the CPAP machine: having a normal A1c; being able to cross my legs again; shopping with a skinny girlfriend in the regular sizes and having people tell me how good I look. And I still have 66 pounds to go. The hardest part of all this has been the first couple of weeks after surgery. I did not have pain or hunger. It was the emotions involved in accepting the permanence of the change I had made. The commitment. And the detoxification of the liquid stage. Years of abuse of sugar and caffeine had to be cleared out. In retrospect, the hard part pales in comparison to the wonderful things. I have no regrets.

For those of you that are post op for a period long enough to experience notable weight loss, what has been the best outcome for you? For example, can you now ride a rollercoaster or have enough energy to walk and be more active? Is a reduction in some previous pain or health condition (high blood pressure, cholesterol, etc)? Or maybe it's simply enjoying shopping for clothes (or not dreading shopping)...

On the flip side, what has been the hardest thing to get use to or that you have had to sacrifice? Maybe it's drinking more socially or just missing a morning Starbucks? Maybe you get more indigestion or certain food really bother you now...

There are so many pros I have experienced so far: I lost a chin, I have room on the sides of chairs, extra seatbelt on the airplane, I am more active, I no longer have low back/hip pain, I can shop in the missy department, I look healthier, and I feel great.

There have been a few bumps but no true cons so far: I occassionally get constipated, if I eat too fast- I slime, I worry about if I will get to goal and if I can stay there, my period is a little irregular now, I'm losing hair (I have tons so this doesn't bother me), I have trouble getting all of my Water and protien in.

Nearly 13 weeks out...

Best - weight loss has improved my mobility - which was my reason for wls...

Hardest - the mental/emotional part - I still regret it...

Tomorrow will be 14 weeks for me. I too have some regrets. I've lost weight and can wear cute clothes but it seems a little superficial to me. I told only a select few what I was having done. Now it seems all anyone comments on is my weight and how much I have lost. It makes me feel like such a hypocrite. It guess its my guilty conscience. I not only miss eating but I miss enjoying eating. My husband tells me there are other things in life to enjoy. Eating now sounds like a good idea at the time but once I start it seems like I am already done. I don't think I have a "sleeve of steel" that some people seem to have.

The best part AND the hardest part has been eating less food and being satisfied with smaller portions. My body says "that's enough" and my mind responds with "for who?" I am reminded daily of how much I needed this surgery. I'm thankful for my second chance. I want to "rock my sleeve", too.